Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:25 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,615 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are possibly relocating to the area. I am totally ignorant of anything in New Jersey, so I was hoping you good people could answer a few questions. We have been looking at new homes around Manalapan and Freehold Twp. areas. Is is accurated to assume that these are "safe" areas with good schools? Our son is in 2nd grade. Also, we are being told that my husband's job headquarters are going to be around New Brunswick or Edison area. Will that be a decent commute? He doesn't want to be in the car for ages. Any other wonderful areas around there, that have larger new construction homes?( Our son has severe allergies and asthma, so new construction is a must!)

I appreciate all of your input. For someone outside the state, local information is so very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,333 times
Freehold and Manalapan are nice areas. They have good school districts (although I would stay away from Freehold Boro) There are many nice towns in the area - Marlboro, Howell, and even Jackson.

As far as the commute goes....it shouldn't be more then 45 minutes I would think. But other people may have better info on that.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:59 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
Hi, we are possibly relocating to the area. I am totally ignorant of anything in New Jersey, so I was hoping you good people could answer a few questions. We have been looking at new homes around Manalapan and Freehold Twp. areas. Is is accurated to assume that these are "safe" areas with good schools? Our son is in 2nd grade. Also, we are being told that my husband's job headquarters are going to be around New Brunswick or Edison area. Will that be a decent commute? He doesn't want to be in the car for ages. Any other wonderful areas around there, that have larger new construction homes?( Our son has severe allergies and asthma, so new construction is a must!)

I appreciate all of your input. For someone outside the state, local information is so very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Manalapan and Freehold Township are both great areas with great schools but working in New Brunswick or Edison can create a little bit of a commute. I personally like driving so that would be great for me but for some it can get annoying especially with traffic. To get to New Brunswick or Edison it will take you at least 30 minutes. If you get traffic it can get pushed to an hour but I am sure you will learn back streets to avoid much of it.

I would suggest trying East Brunswick or Edison itself for a closer commute and great schools. Out of the two East Brunswick has better schools but both are fine.

Good luck!!

Old 12-27-2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks to both of you for the replies and great info! We might actually venture to the area tomorrow to see which areas we like. Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:47 PM

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:23 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,852 times
I would concur with the above posters , and also be sure to check out Marlboro. EB has great schools, but the traffic in the area drives me crazy. Marlboro is a little more bucolic.

In terms of new construction, there is a lot in Jackson and some in the other areas you mentioned. We're actually building a home in a small development in Marlboro that may meet your specs, so if you'd like more info, send me a DM.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
I would concur with the above posters , and also be sure to check out Marlboro. EB has great schools, but the traffic in the area drives me crazy. Marlboro is a little more bucolic.

In terms of new construction, there is a lot in Jackson and some in the other areas you mentioned. We're actually building a home in a small development in Marlboro that may meet your specs, so if you'd like more info, send me a DM.
When don't we disagree . East Brunswick can have some traffic but backroads can become your friends after a while. That is the ONLY way, I drove when I used to live there during rush hour.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:02 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
The schools are very good in Marlboro and Manalapan. With new constuction I would be careful of the taxes you are quoted, be sure to do your homework on that. I'm sure with new you will get gas heat, so no problem with that. Some of the houses built in the 60s-90s had oil heat underground that caused heartache and distress to the owners even though insurance covered the mess, so make sure of the site the house will be built on.
I agree that East Brunswick would be a lesser commute.

Diane

Old 12-28-2007, 06:05 AM

Thanks everyone! We definitely want new construction. Most of the houses we have seen online, are natural gas heated, so oil will not be a concern, thanks for pointing that out though, something to keep in mind. We have looked for newer larger construction further North nearer his jobsite, however, there is not alot being built, and you do not get as much for the money. What is up with only 2 car garages? LOL!!! Houses with 3 car garages seem few and far between. We need that extra garage stall. In an ideal world, we would build. However, time is not on our side and we need something that is just completed or near completion.
Again, thanks to everyone, and if we head there today, I will update you.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:46 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
Thanks everyone! We definitely want new construction. Most of the houses we have seen online, are natural gas heated, so oil will not be a concern, thanks for pointing that out though, something to keep in mind. We have looked for newer larger construction further North nearer his jobsite, however, there is not alot being built, and you do not get as much for the money. What is up with only 2 car garages? LOL!!! Houses with 3 car garages seem few and far between. We need that extra garage stall. In an ideal world, we would build. However, time is not on our side and we need something that is just completed or near completion.
Again, thanks to everyone, and if we head there today, I will update you.
There are homes in Freehold Township with three car garages. Be prepared to spend at least $700K for one if you want new construction. There is a home on realtor.com for $749K that probably meets your needs. Just be aware that Freehold Township is nearly 40 square miles and the commute from the southwestern border (the area of the Township that borders on Jackson Township) will be quite different than the commute from the northwestern border (Freehold, Manalapan, Marlboro triangle) especially during peak travel times. I live in Freehold Township and we have raised three children here with no problems. Make a note that Freehold Township homes have just been reassessed (I think most or all of Monmouth County just was) so be careful when it comes to what you will be paying for taxes. Just curious, have you looked at homes in Monroe. There is new construction going on in that area and you would probably be a bit closer to work. One suggestion I will give you is be careful when asking for information about areas in New Jersey on this web site. You will get a lot of misinformation about towns in New Jersey from people on this board that don't live here. When they are taken to task most will say "well that's what I heard or read about the area" There are people here that live in the Freehold area and they can probably give you the best advice. I've also noticed that there has been quite an increase in people that work for realtors on this site, and I would think that their main concern is trying to sell you a home, (a home in the area that they do business in). Anyway, good luck in your search. If you are looking for more info. about the area feel free to contact me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey