Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:26 PM

12 posts, read 24,803 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are moving to NJ.
I will work in Camden NJ and my wife will work in Jersey City NJ.
Please suggest a good place to live with good neighborhood and reasonable price range as early as possible
We were looking around Edison, Brunswick's --- suggest a good place which will be fare for both of us to commute by Car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 12:49 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkharche View Post
Hi,

We are moving to NJ.
I will work in Camden NJ and my wife will work in Jersey City NJ.
Please suggest a good place to live with good neighborhood and reasonable price range as early as possible
We were looking around Edison, Brunswick's --- suggest a good place which will be fare for both of us to commute by Car.

Will you rent? buy? Do you have school-age children? (require good public schools?)

What is your rental budget? Reasonable price range means different things to different people.

Do you both have to commute by car? Is NJ Transit not an option?

Welcome to NJ.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:05 PM

Hi Daliowa,

Thank you for the Welcome.
We do not have kids yet and wont require schools for next 3-4 years.
rental budget is around 1000-1500, I am looking for spacious 1 bedroom apt, close to a major highways (NJ Turnpike)
Yes we both will commute by Car.
As NJ transit directly does not go to Camden or Jersey City - correct me if I am wrong.
To Jersey City - NJ Transit and then PATH i guess.
Transit will be an option if it is feasible and time saving - would prefer an NJ Transit train commute for wife as it is more comfortable.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkharche View Post
Hi Daliowa,

Thank you for the Welcome.
We do not have kids yet and wont require schools for next 3-4 years.
rental budget is around 1000-1500, I am looking for spacious 1 bedroom apt, close to a major highways (NJ Turnpike)
Yes we both will commute by Car.
As NJ transit directly does not go to Camden or Jersey City - correct me if I am wrong.
To Jersey City - NJ Transit and then PATH i guess.
Transit will be an option if it is feasible and time saving - would prefer an NJ Transit train commute for wife as it is more comfortable.

Based on both your workplaces, it seems that even with compromising on living somewhere in the middle, that you'll both end up with bad commutes.

Maybe Lawrence, NJ? Mapquest makes it a 40 minute drive to Camden (but realistically, it will be longer.)

If you live in Lawrence than your wife could take the NJ Transit (NorthEast Corridor Line) from Princeton Junction to Newark & change for the PATH to Jersey City.

I used to do that commute & it's really a pain.

Also depends on where in JC that she works. Is it walking distance from the PATH?

It sounds like you're planning a family. What kind of a commute will she be able to handle while pregnant, and after with a baby at home? If she continues to work than she'll want to work close to home for the inevitable day-to-day emergencies that come with young children.

I really can't think of a town that would make both your commutes something pleasant.

Lots to think about.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 PM

Thank you for such a good insight.

You are right we are planning for family in near future - around in a year.

I am willing and ready to commute more than an hour but want her commute shorter. Her location in Jersey City will be
3 2nd St Jersey City, NJ. This is close to PATH exchange place . Google map shows more than 90 mins.

As you said -she can go by NJ transit and then PATH and you did the same - How much time it takes to go that way.
Is it recommended to drive to the Jersey City address from - say around East Brunswick.

What are your thoughts about East Brunswick or South Brunswick or Edison?
On a given day google map shows drive time to Camden little more than an hour and little less than hour to Jersey city.
But as you said I am sure actual time would be more than that.

I am really confused about where to look for an apartments - Where should we look for?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:40 PM

11,349 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Seriously, if you want to see each other, one of you will need to change jobs and get closer to the other one's.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Seriously, if you want to see each other, one of you will need to change jobs and get closer to the other one's.

I have to agree. The OP's situation is a puzzle with no good answer.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:00 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
New Brunswick if you're young and don't care about schools right now.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 PM

Here's a thought. Choose a town that you like. Stay in a hotel in that town for a night & each of you commute to your jobs. That way you'll get a realistic idea of what the day-to-day commute will feel like.

That's the only way to experience the real thing.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:31 PM

104 posts, read 139,963 times
Princeton to Newark and then to Exchange place by path would take around 1 hr atleast assuming no delay in path trains and njt. parking @ Princeton junction isn't easy during weekday mornings. most of the spots are filled by 645 - 7 am
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey