Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 05:44 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Another unbelievable comment. I guess people shouldn't go near those vicious hamsters either, they've been known to bite.
Hamsters are vicious. No wonder they're kept in cages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 05:59 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Bears are not a creature to be fooled with, and as a PA resident I was surprised to learn that you can't carry at gun in NJ to protect against a bear attack. If I go hiking in NJ in the wild areas I am going to be certain to have some bear spray or a knife at the minimum.

A major problem with bears is that they are unpredictable. What works one time, might not work the next time. I do know that with black bears you do not attempt to climb a tree as the bear will climb up after you.
Be careful about that knife. From Jon on the NJ Gun Forum:

"NJ State Law basically says you need a purpose to carry whatever knife you choose to carry, and self defense doesn't count. As long as you can communicate a reason for having a 14" bowie knife on your belt, you're good to go. There is no minimum/maximum length. The only things specifically prohibited are gravity, butterfly, and automatic knives. Assisted openers are fine."

Legality of carry knives in NJ - Knives, Blades & Other Edged Instruments - New Jersey Gun Forums

Old 09-26-2014, 06:01 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
People do "take revenge" on bears all the time. For example, this particular bear was killed.
There were a number of reasons why the bear was killed. First, the emergency personnel who arrived on the scene were unable to scare the bear away-it was circling the body in a threatening manner, unwilling to give up what it perceived as a food source. Police did not merely shoot it on sight. Second, necropsies can provide important clues in cases such as these to why the attack may have happened. As you can see, simple "revenge" did not factor into the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Limit immigration, free birth control, huge taxes on children, don't glorify having children and huge tax breaks for people who have no children.
Those certainly are measures that would reduce the human population. However, state policymakers must concentrate on workable solutions that are able to be implemented on the state level. Therefore the sensible solution is good wildlife management policies in accordance with the available habitat. Again, good solid science is the guiding light here, not emotion.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:24 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Another West Milford bear

Old 09-26-2014, 01:10 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
im pretty sure i could kick its ass

Old 09-26-2014, 01:12 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Another West Milford bear
Ooh, nice one . How did you manage to snap a pic without attracting attention.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:13 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Hamsters are vicious. No wonder they're kept in cages.
Seriously, they are .

Dramatic Look - YouTube

Old 09-27-2014, 06:37 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Ooh, nice one . How did you manage to snap a pic without attracting attention.
Stand off at 35 paces, got some great images.

We sized each other up for a long 2 minutes and he started to slowly move off to his right and became obscured by brush. I moved counter to his move to my right. Often these critters will try to flank rather than come in head on unless they are much closer, then they come in head on. So that was a little spooky.

He had be lying down and I caught him as he started to rise up, he was uphill from me. Apparently he had been aware I was there and was waiting for me to pass. When I messed with the camera, still not knowing the bear was there, It probably made him nrevous and he stood up. Much like hunting rabbits when you break thru the brush and then stand perfectly still, the bunnies get nervous and run.

It is amazing how a BB can appear to be in another dimension, its black color as bright as if it were a fluorescent orange.

Cuter than a button as cubs. Their strength is unimaginable. A healthy sow in early February with cubs weighed in a 135#. Some of the males can reach 500#+ though the feeling is 300lb BB are as common as 300# men...that was before the BMI and the discovery that most of us were obese.

Wonder how the genetically modified corn is having an impact on wildlife, as a nearby cornfield that is always munched by deer is pretty much intact this year with monsanto corn. It is rumored to be unattractive to deer and one would assume to bears. I really don't know but it is worth investigating and might have eliminated a ubiquitous food source which propped up a burgeoning deer and bear population. Though that section of WM is almost exclusively mature woods, bear do travel and a big BB might dominate a territory chasing others from 'his' food supply.

Wait for the details of the arttack to come out before any specualtion evolves into a conclusion. Could be some twisty turns to the story.

Meanwhile those in the bear counties who come in daily close contact with BB intentionally, might be sure their wills are current. Wouldn't worry so much about medical coverage, you most likely will not need it following the aftermath of an attack.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:17 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Shocking and quite sad indeed .

I saw a black bear in high point while hiking this july. All I did was calmly turn back, and walk away slowly (in shock). Luckily, an experienced hiker was down the line and taught me how to deal with bear encounters. He helped me get through that patch of forest, and wallah, here is the wonderful view of port jervis from high point. Well worth the hike .
Beautiful picture.

There is no such word as "wallah". You are attempting to use the French term "Voila" and badly failing.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:49 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Stand off at 35 paces, got some great images.

We sized each other up for a long 2 minutes and he started to slowly move off to his right and became obscured by brush. I moved counter to his move to my right. Often these critters will try to flank rather than come in head on unless they are much closer, then they come in head on. So that was a little spooky.

He had be lying down and I caught him as he started to rise up, he was uphill from me. Apparently he had been aware I was there and was waiting for me to pass. When I messed with the camera, still not knowing the bear was there, It probably made him nrevous and he stood up. Much like hunting rabbits when you break thru the brush and then stand perfectly still, the bunnies get nervous and run.

It is amazing how a BB can appear to be in another dimension, its black color as bright as if it were a fluorescent orange.

Cuter than a button as cubs. Their strength is unimaginable. A healthy sow in early February with cubs weighed in a 135#. Some of the males can reach 500#+ though the feeling is 300lb BB are as common as 300# men...that was before the BMI and the discovery that most of us were obese.

Wonder how the genetically modified corn is having an impact on wildlife, as a nearby cornfield that is always munched by deer is pretty much intact this year with monsanto corn. It is rumored to be unattractive to deer and one would assume to bears. I really don't know but it is worth investigating and might have eliminated a ubiquitous food source which propped up a burgeoning deer and bear population. Though that section of WM is almost exclusively mature woods, bear do travel and a big BB might dominate a territory chasing others from 'his' food supply.

Wait for the details of the arttack to come out before any specualtion evolves into a conclusion. Could be some twisty turns to the story.

Meanwhile those in the bear counties who come in daily close contact with BB intentionally, might be sure their wills are current. Wouldn't worry so much about medical coverage, you most likely will not need it following the aftermath of an attack.
Were you packing heat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey