Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:38 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Since there is at least one child as a consideration in this list, I would think that one of the parents' workplaces should be within reasonable "emergency" trip to the school, therefore home. Pick one parent as the first responder and look at a maximum 20 minute trip from work to school, even during traffic. Then draw the househunting circle based on that.

At least that's how I'd do it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 01:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
red bank is a nice town for upper class people to go to dinner, not to live.

if you wanted to live closer to red bank, then id look at shrewsbury and lincroft which would put you closer to red bank and close to exit 109 of the gsp.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
commute time distance to both Red Bank and EWR
Convenient Manhattan travel options
Would you be driving or taking the train?
The Jersey Coast line runs between RB & EWR; a monorail connects the train to the terminals. How far would the RB train station be from your workplace?
It is also a direct connection to NY Penn Station.
North Jersey Coast Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There some nice towns just north of Red Bank. Frankly, you could also live in Little Silver.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:41 PM

472 posts, read 812,404 times
Rumson, although it's very expensive.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:10 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Depending on the hours of work at EWR, why not consider just living in Red Bank? If his work means he gets there at off hours like 5 AM and is out the door at 2:00, traffic isn't really going to be an issue and it's closer to a true 45 minute commute and you have little to none. This is a much better alternative to both of you sending 90 minutes in the car every day and everyone being cranky about it.

That said, Cranford/Westfield/Rahway/Union are 20 minutes from EWR and you'd be driving opposite the traffic to Red Bank every day. But, at the same time, you'd have to drive to Red Bank every day, which sounds like a total pain.
I second this. Live in Red Bank or nearby. The drive to EWR is 45 minutes or less, or he could take the train.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
All of those seem S or E of Red Bank
Little Silver is adjacent to Red Bank and also has a train station, one with parking available. It's only a couple of minutes longer.

IMO, nicer housing choices, too.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
red bank is a nice town for upper class people to go to dinner, not to live.

if you wanted to live closer to red bank, then id look at shrewsbury and lincroft which would put you closer to red bank and close to exit 109 of the gsp.
Hey, we working stiffs eat dinner in Red Bank, too! I'm not a big fan of Mexican food, but Juanito's was listed in NJ Monthly as best Mexican in this region, and they were right.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, we working stiffs eat dinner in Red Bank, too! I'm not a big fan of Mexican food, but Juanito's was listed in NJ Monthly as best Mexican in this region, and they were right.
the best Mexican is Baja fresh in ocean. plus, they always have a $5 off coupon! its awesome!

oh and upper class fancy people like myself and j0nx don't take the train to work. I looked it up and it takes almost an hour to take the train from red bank to Newark airport. fancy people like us are going to drive that.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 09-24-2014 at 10:05 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 11:29 AM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Would you be driving or taking the train?
The Jersey Coast line runs between RB & EWR; a monorail connects the train to the terminals. How far would the RB train station be from your workplace?
It is also a direct connection to NY Penn Station.
North Jersey Coast Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There some nice towns just north of Red Bank. Frankly, you could also live in Little Silver.
The RB station is only 0.6 miles away. That is great news, I did not even consider the train. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2014, 11:40 AM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the best Mexican is Baja fresh in ocean. plus, they always have a $5 off coupon! its awesome!

oh and upper class fancy people like myself and j0nx don't take the train to work. I looked it up and it takes almost an hour to take the train from red bank to Newark airport. fancy people like us are going to drive that.
I love Mexican food, can't wait to try what's around the area. Yeah, I'm not a fan of taking trains to work. I had more than enough of that with the Path. But my spouse hates driving so that is very convenient for her.

So the trip according to Google Maps is over an hour to EWR from Little Silver and Red Bank. Matawan is the furthest southern stop that can get you to EWR <1hr. That stop will also get me to work in <30min.

So I guess I'm looking at Holmdel, South Middletown and Matawan (for additional transit options).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey