Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
I love Mexican food, can't wait to try what's around the area. Yeah, I'm not a fan of taking trains to work. I had more than enough of that with the Path. But my spouse hates driving so that is very convenient for her.

So the trip according to Google Maps is over an hour to EWR from Little Silver and Red Bank. Matawan is the furthest southern stop that can get you to EWR <1hr. That stop will also get me to work in <30min.

So I guess I'm looking at Holmdel, South Middletown and Matawan (for additional transit options).
I hope you aren't suggesting you are going to take the train from Middletown to red bank. the Holmdel township committee will vote you out of the town if you do that. I commute to Brooklyn. I believe public transit would double my commute time but even if it was equal I wouldn't do it. you want to drive a car and be free to come and go as you please. driving to ewr from my house is so easy that you would be crazy to bother waiting for a train. you just fly up the gsp and then fly up the tpk and you are there. you have a great opportunity to live in a great place and still have a nice commute. don't screw it up with some urban anti-car mental issue.

Baja fresh is a fast food Mexican place. I love going there but its a fast food Mexican. you will have a good selection of restaurants in red bank and the shore. in the Holmdel area there are some chain restaurants and stuff. nothing great but for an old man like myself with a 4 year old and a baby, it works for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:43 PM

256 posts, read 572,939 times
Holmdel makes the most sense if you can afford it. You can pick up the train in Hazlet to EWR and Red Bank is 15 minutes away.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:46 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I love Mexican food, can't wait to try what's around the area. Yeah, I'm not a fan of taking trains to work. I had more than enough of that with the Path. But my spouse hates driving so that is very convenient for her.

So the trip according to Google Maps is over an hour to EWR from Little Silver and Red Bank. Matawan is the furthest southern stop that can get you to EWR <1hr. That stop will also get me to work in <30min.

So I guess I'm looking at Holmdel, South Middletown and Matawan (for additional transit options).
That's not accurate unless you are looking only at local/off-hout trains. The express trains are faster. I take the train every day from Little Silver to Newark Penn. It's a 55-minute ride. You just have to make sure the train stops at EWR, not all do.

And you can't compare the NJ Transit trains to a rapid-rail system like PATH. Hardly the same thing. It's not as though you'll be standing holding onto a pole or something. You can sleep or read.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:02 PM

351 posts, read 482,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I hope you aren't suggesting you are going to take the train from Middletown to red bank. the Holmdel township committee will vote you out of the town if you do that. I commute to Brooklyn. I believe public transit would double my commute time but even if it was equal I wouldn't do it. you want to drive a car and be free to come and go as you please. driving to ewr from my house is so easy that you would be crazy to bother waiting for a train. you just fly up the gsp and then fly up the tpk and you are there. you have a great opportunity to live in a great place and still have a nice commute. don't screw it up with some urban anti-car mental issue.

Baja fresh is a fast food Mexican place. I love going there but its a fast food Mexican. you will have a good selection of restaurants in red bank and the shore. in the Holmdel area there are some chain restaurants and stuff. nothing great but for an old man like myself with a 4 year old and a baby, it works for us.
LOL, even before I was trying to figure out what city to move to I was already looking at which 2nd car to get. I'm offering the train as an alternative to my spouse, she really isn't that ready for the burbs. You have any daycare recommendations Cap?

Old 09-25-2014, 06:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
LOL, even before I was trying to figure out what city to move to I was already looking at which 2nd car to get. I'm offering the train as an alternative to my spouse, she really isn't that ready for the burbs. You have any daycare recommendations Cap?
ok, good. she will get used to it. my wife doesn't work so I don't really do daycare. my daughter is in nursery school but those hours suck for someone that works.

I asked my wife if she knew of any daycares and I think she said kindercare. maybe she was talking about the Middletown one.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:32 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
I was thinking Matawan. Kind of 2/3 of the way if that's OK. I've been there, and it seems to be a reasonable area.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:35 PM

9 posts, read 10,877 times
Without knowing budget I would have to recommend Westfield. Easily nicest/most fun town in that area, maybe in all of NJ. slightly closer to EWR but not a bad commute to Red Bank. Also Metuchen is a charming town. Why not just live in Red Bank though. Train commute to EWR not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey