Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:46 PM

369 posts, read 557,798 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I've recently moved from LA back to the East coast. My family lives in the DC/No VA area but I can't live here - it's not for me anymore. I thought if I could live anywhere, it'd be close to NYC. I have friends in NJ (Edison area) and some in Manhattan, but I can't deal with the noisy day in/out of the City. I'd like to live somewhere a bit more quiet, but within a 30-45 minute commute to Manhattan.

I work from home, so I don't have to go anywhere every day. I don't have my own family, so no worries about schools - though a safe neighborhood is essential, and good schools for resale would be a plus. My budget is 300K and I need at least a 2 bedroom, one for home-office/guest bedroom. I'd like 2 bathrooms, garage, and within a 5 minute drive to local stores (Whole Foods/Target/Trader Joe's). I have a car. And, I'm looking for a single-family home because my tolerance for sharing walls with neighbors is so over.

I've been searching online for homes that I can drive out and see next week and here's what I've come across: I looked at Hoboken but prices are crazy and beyond my budget. Didn't find anything I liked so far in Rutherford. I found a cute place in Roselle but I have no idea where that is exactly and how "out there" from civilization?

I'm wondering if any of you can give me insight into places to look into in my price range + safety. Also, if you know a great local realtor, hook me up!

Or tell me why not move to NJ and where else to look nearby - I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 06:41 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Your criteria and budget do not match.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:23 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post

Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post

If the OP is willing to look much further away from Manhattan than the fabled 30-45 minute commute, then it might be possible to find a very small, older fixer-upper in the 300k range. I think that, in the stated price range, you would have to be in the far western/northwestern part of NJ, or in southern, NJ--and in rural areas, to boot. Ergo--at least 1.5 hours travel time to NYC.

Additionally, I would suggest avoiding Roselle. That town has a high crime rate, and even in the unlikely event that you could find a house there for 300k, it is not a very safe environment.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 AM

369 posts, read 557,798 times
Thanks, everyone. Didn't know that about Roselle. I'll be speaking to a NJ realtor today - we'll see what she says.

Would you say CT is a better option to NJ for my criteria?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
Thanks, everyone. Didn't know that about Roselle. I'll be speaking to a NJ realtor today - we'll see what she says.

Would you say CT is a better option to NJ for my criteria?

Sorry, no. NJ, CT and Westchester will have the same issue of meeting your criteria for your budget. You're going to have to increase budget or decide what you want to compromise (distance, etc.)

Old 09-25-2014, 08:36 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Is there any way you might rethink condo living? You could do a townhouse on your budget.

Alternatively, accept a further distance from the city. There are towns in Monmouth County with small sfh in the $250--$300 range. People from there still commute to the city but it's an hour and a half by public transportation. Look at Hazlet, for example.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Is there any way you might rethink condo living? You could do a townhouse on your budget.

Alternatively, accept a further distance from the city. There are towns in Monmouth County with small sfh in the $250--$300 range. People from there still commute to the city but it's an hour and a half by public transportation. Look at Hazlet, for example.

^^Something like this makes a lot more sense.

OP - since you work from home, your trying to be so close to NYC is an extremely expensive option. People pay a hefty premium to have a more manage commute. If you expand to areas that are closer to 75-90 minutes to the city, you'll have much better luck in meeting your other criteria.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:57 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
As everyone has said, the package you are looking for doesn't exist.

If you are willing to live in an apartment, there are a ton of options and you are spoiled for choice. Edgewater is super-nice but for a 2/2 apartment you will stretch to the top of your budget, assuming anything is available on the market.

If you are set on a single family in the 'burbs, there are places which meet most of your criteria but they are over 30-45 minutes from the city during rush hour driving or on public transit. Two potential towns I know of are Ridgefield Park and Bergenfield. Safe, single family homes under budget, suburban, buses to the city if wanted, Target and Trader Joe's a short drive away in Hackensack, Whole Foods in Paramus. Fair warning though the tax rate as a % of house value is very high in both towns and some parts of Ridgefield Park have flooding issues.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:13 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times
i suggest hackensack, it's still very cheap compare to many areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey