Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 PM

402 posts, read 752,164 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say he's being dramatic

Identity Crisis Boils Over Giants` Split Personality - Chicago Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey08057 View Post
I have seen that article.

It is kind of irrelevant because when the Giants won their last 2 Super Bowls, the city had the parades and for the second win at least, there was also a large celebration at the stadium. It seems NY may be over it almost 30 years later but I get the sentiment at first.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:24 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
You are being intentionally naive JerseyGirl.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:35 AM

Also this notion that Philly doesn't look down on South Jersey is false.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:43 PM

612 posts, read 843,755 times
Quote:
Also this notion that Philly doesn't look down on South Jersey is false.
I never said that Philly doesn't, however it's not nearly as bad as the inferiority complex between North Jersey and the Big Apple. I'm originally from Philly, and spent considerable time in my youth in Camden and Trenton, and the people I met had nothing but love for Philly, and it was easier to have a good time meeting so many Sixers fans. A lot of my family there and friends constantly frequent Atlantic City, which is basically South Philly on the shore. Anyways, there's just a different dynamic/harmony between the two metros; Philly and SJ seem almost like brothers (from my view) compared to NNJ and NY

Old 10-02-2014, 02:06 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
I never said that Philly doesn't, however it's not nearly as bad as the inferiority complex between North Jersey and the Big Apple. I'm originally from Philly, and spent considerable time in my youth in Camden and Trenton, and the people I met had nothing but love for Philly, and it was easier to have a good time meeting so many Sixers fans. A lot of my family there and friends constantly frequent Atlantic City, which is basically South Philly on the shore. Anyways, there's just a different dynamic/harmony between the two metros; Philly and SJ seem almost like brothers (from my view) compared to NNJ and NY
Any discussion of inferiority complex begins and ends with Philly in the shadow of NYC. NNJ is allied/associated with NYC and has no more of a complex than LI or upstate.

Heck, Philly even pales to the other big colonial city, Boston.

(and trolls from Philly even show up here trying to start something to make themselves feel better)

Old 10-02-2014, 02:19 PM

This topic obviously stems from when the Nets called New Jersey home, as far as building the fanbase in New Jersey, and those either sticking with the Nets, or even not following basketball at all (NBA-wise). I think what it really boils down to is that Knicks fans in New Jersey are either:

a) carpetbagging, frontrunning priced-out New Yorkers that want to cash the credit, w/o claiming the card.

b) frontrunning, wannabe NYers that have no state pride or loyalty.

How I absolutely know that this is true, is that if the New Jersey Nets were the successful team, and the Knicks were the newer, worser franchise, that the fan percentage would be drastically different. I've heard nothing but excuses to root for the more successful "hip" franchise, just fancy semantics to avoid being labeled a bandwagoner. I realize things are different now, with the Nets in NY, but that doesn't explain the historically, overwhelming % of Knicks fans in North Jersey. Rangers fans in NJ is even more insulting imo, and I don't even watch hockey

Old 10-02-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Any discussion of inferiority complex begins and ends with Philly in the shadow of NYC. NNJ is allied/associated with NYC and has no more of a complex than LI or upstate.

Heck, Philly even pales to the other big colonial city, Boston.

(and trolls from Philly even show up here trying to start something to make themselves feel better)
Pot meet kettle?

Old 10-02-2014, 02:42 PM

Yeah like when the Nets went to the finals I expected some type of excitement but there wasnt anyntypempf buzz. I can't figure it out. I was a huge Nets fan. I can't root for them anymore, I cheered for them because they were NJ's team. Sad part is that the chances of Nj getting another NBA team are slim to none.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah like when the Nets went to the finals I expected some type of excitement but there wasnt anyntypempf buzz. I can't figure it out. I was a huge Nets fan. I can't root for them anymore, I cheered for them because they were NJ's team. Sad part is that the chances of Nj getting another NBA team are slim to none.
Totally understandable, you're a true blooded, prideful New Jerseyan. Derrick Coleman was pretty big even down in the Philly-orbit in the early 90's. If I wasn't a Sixers fan, I definitely would've copped one of those light-blue Coleman jerseys. It'd be nice if justice was served, and somehow the Nets franchise got a new owner, and moved them back to Newark. I went to Continental Airlines a couple times to catch the Sixers, wasn't that bad personally to me but it is kinda out of the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey