Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 11:24 PM

25 posts, read 92,059 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm currently a student who's hoping to move to the NYC area after graduation. I have a job lined up in Newark but i'm hoping to live in NYC for the urban amenities. I have a car so transportation is not an issue. Does anyone commute from any of the boroughs of NYC and if so, how is it? Good? Hellish? I don't want to live in NJ if possible but not because of it's quality of life. I just want to live in NYC for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 09:04 AM

64 posts, read 112,355 times
It is very easy if you happen to live at Manhattan, one of the most expensive boro of 5. You just take PATH to Newark; you may have problem to park your car in Manhattan, and toll can kill you too.

If you happen to live at Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn boros, you will take NYC Subway to transfer PATH to Newark, and that takes more time. But these area would be similar to cities of NJ, like Jersey City or Newark.

If you live at Staten Island boro, most rural, then you may drive to NJ by car which is easier than public transportation, but then Staten Island is really like suburb of NJ.

I know many people living at NYC and working at NJ. e.g. my excolleagues living at Brooklyn and took subway to World Trade Center then PATH to Newark, then NJ Transit to Rahway Train Stn then walk over to Merck.

Many people living in NYC taking train to Edison and walk over to work at Ethel Rd that I gave ride told me the reason they did not move over to NJ is because their friends and families living there; they will move over once their job is stable. However, some sigles tend to prefer stay in NYC.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:07 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Are you planning to park your car on the street? Or are you going to be one of the people who spend literally HOURS looking for a parking place every night? If you're not in the latter group, you'd better budget AT LEAST $400/month for a garage. And the insurance in NYC is outrageous...

Old 12-29-2007, 11:35 AM

253 posts, read 1,267,013 times
take the train. several physicians I know who work at UMDNJ in Newark and either live in the Village or Downtown Manhattan hop on the train to Newark's Penn Station.

Anyhow, many many companies in Newark will have a shuttle bus meet you at Newark's Penn Station. UMDNJ, Prudential, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Rutgers and the smaller companies are either IN PENN STATION or in the vicinity - so you really don't even have to go outside. That's a win win. If we knew the company we could tell you exactly what your commute would be like.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:33 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
If you're going to be living in Manhattan, dump the car. You won't need it, and it's so expensive an annoying to have a car in NYC that you won't want it. If you live in Midtown you can take the NJTRANSIT trains from New York Penn Station to Newark Penn Station. You can also take the PATH trains from 33rd Street to Journal Square and then transfer to a Newark PATH train. From Lower Manhattan you can take the PATH directly from World Trade Center to Newark. The trains will take you about 25 minutes, unless you take the route via Journal Square, which will be longer. Depending on how far your job is from Newark Penn Station and how far you live from your starting points in New York, add time accordingly.

Another option for urban ambience without NYC costs and closer to Newark is Hoboken/Jersey City. They're closer to the hot districts of Manhattan than many parts of Upper Manhattan, they have urban ambience of their own, and they're cheaper than NYC areas.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:00 PM

25 posts, read 92,059 times
Thanks for all the replies! I'm definitely not going to be living in Manhattan because of the costs. I'm considering Staten Island or Brooklyn. I haven't considered Jersey City or Hoboken though so i'm definitely going to take a look at those places. My place of employment is not that close to a PATH line and it's not within a good walking distances either so a car would be nice for me.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:14 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
If you're not going to be able to use public transportation, you'd have to be out of your mind to live in Brooklyn or Staten Island and work in Newark. Staten Island isn't "urban", so you're not going to get what you're looking for there, and it'll cost you something like $6/day just to cross into NJ every day. Brooklyn would be a hellacious commute by car, and will cost around $11/day to get into NJ.

You'd be far better off looking at some of the suburbs in NJ, and if you want "urban", look at places like Elizabeth or Rahway- they'll be far closer, much less expensive, and just as "urban" as Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey