Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 10,432 times

Advertisements

I have a 6-unit multi-family house. I passed my green card inspection 6 months ago. I’m supposed to get the green card in 4 months but I didn't. Now I’m selling my property so I called the state inspection bureau for the green card. Geeee, they could not find our folder and record. The lady keeps on telling me she is looking for it. 2 weeks passed, no result. My deal is stuck and it's not a little money for me.
Their attitude became rude when I kept tracing it. I’m worried, cannot continue with the deal, and still have to say good words to them to get their "help".
Can anyone provide me with some suggestions on how to deal with this? Any department that I can report it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 12:31 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annesun View Post
I have a 6-unit multi-family house. I passed my green card inspection 6 months ago. I’m supposed to get the green card in 4 months but I didn't. Now I’m selling my property so I called the state inspection bureau for the green card. Geeee, they could not find our folder and record. The lady keeps on telling me she is looking for it. 2 weeks passed, no result. My deal is stuck and it's not a little money for me.
Their attitude became rude when I kept tracing it. I’m worried, cannot continue with the deal, and still have to say good words to them to get their "help".
Can anyone provide me with some suggestions on how to deal with this? Any department that I can report it?

According to this NJ State website it sounds like a "green card" is not required to sell the property.

NJ Department of Community Affairs
Certificate of Inspection aka "Green Cards"

How do I get a Green Card– Certificate of Inspection?
A Green Card is issued after the property is properly registered, inspections and reinspections have been conducted, all violations are corrected and all fees paid.

How long does it take to get a “Green Card”?
Issuance of a Green Card depends on the stage of the enforcement process. The minimum time period is 4 months for the property to be inspected and reinspected, if necessary. The average time period could be extended depending on the following factors: the number of units or buildings to be inspected, the time taken for abatement of cited violations, whether or not the building has been registered properly with the Bureau and the required fees been paid.

If I want to sell my property or refinance my mortgage, do I need a “Green Card”?
No you do not. The Bureau of Housing Inspection is not mandated by law to issue “Green Cards” for this purpose. When an owner contacts the Bureau of Housing Inspection requesting a Green Card, the Bureau will do whatever it can to conduct an inspection and/or issue a certificate of inspection. However, it is important to know that it was never the intention of the N.J. Legislature or the function of the Bureau to have inspections conducted for the purpose of completing real estate transactions. The Bureau is neither funded nor equipped to process inspections for properties being sold, nor can it allow inspections, requested for these properties, to delay the inspections of other properties, which have already been scheduled. The inspection of each hotel and multiple dwelling will be scheduled and conducted as soon as possible after the fifth anniversary date on which it had previously been inspected.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:40 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,423 times
Default Contact your state legislators' offices and state senator's office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annesun View Post
In some towns, the BHI sends out its own inspectors. In other towns, the inspection is subbed out to the local municipal building department. If your town is in the latter category, the paperwork might be held up there, hence the BHI 'cant find it.' First find out who did the inspection and contact the inspector directly.

If that doesn't get things moving, contact your state legislators' offices and state senator's office. Explain the problem to them. They want your vote and hopefully a call from them to the DCA-BHI will get your card issued.

Not being able to find your file should be a help, not a hindrance. Without a record of violations, they have no basis to withhold the card! Any chance that you have paperwork from the inspector clearing the property of violations? That could be your ace in the hole.

Daliowa is correct that you don't need the green card to close — at least it's not a legal requirement. But in practice, few buyer's will close without it. (Because unpaid fines for violations may become a lien against the property.)

Perhaps an old green card will satisfy your buyer? Do you have one from the prior 5-year inspection (2009?) or from when you purchased the property? They don't expire.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 10,432 times
Thank you Daliowa and Maverick. I went to the assembly office this afternoon. The nice lady in office made a call for us. Then they respond that the green card will be faxed to us tomorrow. Magic! I'm really happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: