Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 PM

289 posts, read 607,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by practicalposts View Post
It may sound strange and stupid but hearing from people who has done one and half hour plus commute for more than 20 years are regretting doing it. It takes lot of soul searching to realize that 2 hour of commute is not worth it unless your are earning substantially more. So my advice is find job in nj or move closer to path station or move out of nj to places like Atlanta, Raleigh, Houston.
While I agree with you about the fact that commute take its toll, I would say that making a decision to move is not an easy one. Folks might have family here in NJ that makes it hard for them to move. Also, the spouse might be working in the area, so it is hard for 2 folks to move find a new job at the same time. There are a lot more jobs available in this area compared to other areas you mention, so if you get laid off or need to find another job, it is relatively easier. Many NYC companies are allowing their employees to work from home 1 or 2 days a week, so that helps. Also, from what I have heard, commute in Atlanta/Houston is not 10 minutes either, it is more like 40 minutes to and hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by practicalposts View Post
It may sound strange and stupid but hearing from people who has done one and half hour plus commute for more than 20 years are regretting doing it. It takes lot of soul searching to realize that 2 hour of commute is not worth it unless your are earning substantially more. So my advice is find job in nj or move closer to path station or move out of nj to places like Atlanta, Raleigh, Houston. No matter what happens including new train station at north brunswick, geography still will have central jersey more than 90 minutes away from manhattan unless there is drastic change in mass trasportation or speed limit on nj tnpk is increased to 100. You may ignore my advice now but will remember after few years.
This is a very good point. A friend of mine worked in Midtown Manhattan and did the 1.5 hours by train to/from NJ. It's certainly better than driving because you can use your computer, relax or whatever. Plus if the weather is bad it's nicer to be in a train than on the road. During that time I told my friend about jobs in NJ, but he didn't show an interest and had placed some kind of importance on working in NYC than in NJ. Anyway, he lost that job and ended up getting a job in NJ. A job he not longer liked better, but paid the same money and give good raises and benefits. So sometimes I think people put on blinders about things, like "I must work in NYC" or "I must live in NYC", and forget you don't have to. You can live in NJ, PA or CT, and have access to NYC fairly easily when needed. But the important thing is, don't over look jobs in your own background. Oh, and instead of 1.5 hours commute time, the job in NJ was only a 30 minute drive by car and if the weather got bad he could work from home if they didn't close the place.

But I understand there are times you have to take what is available. If you live in NJ and work in NYC, the reason for leaving a job in NYC is because of the travel time and no employer in NJ who is driving 30 minutes to work is going to fault you from leaving a NYC job.

As for being paid more money in NYC, that doesn't always seem to be the case. It's usually about the same depending on the job. Now if there is some special opportunity for your career being in NYC, or you simply want to have it on your resume, that makes sense. But doing that for 20 years, I can't see doing it unless it's the job of a lifetime.

As for the additional money that might be available working in NYC, depending on the job, you also have to factor in additional costs. Parking at the train station in some NJ towns costs $250.00 a year for the permit. Plus there is the monthly train pass and the metro card pass for the subways. If driving there is a toll cost too. Then there is your time. If instead of 30 minutes a day it's 1.5 hours a day, that's an extra two hours per day. If you placed a value on your time, such as time and a half treating it like over time, that's giving up a lot each year. Of course, only you can determine if it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey