Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 12:38 PM

10 posts, read 34,507 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking to move to north brunswick so I'm trying to explore all commute options before i make decision?

how long does it take door-to-door commute from north brunswick to nyc port authority if you take coach usa bus?

how long does it take door-to-door commute from north brunswick to ny penn station if you take train?

is train recommended or bus?

as per coach usa bus website, it take about 1hr 20min from new brunswick to nyc porth authority but i thought to know it from people are already commuting using coach usa bus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 06:01 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times
I take it from jersey ave to Penn when I had a client in midtown. The train was pretty on the money schedule wise. A few coworkers have clients downtown, and take a bus. They are hit or miss depending on traffic weather conditions.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:16 PM

264 posts, read 606,203 times
Even if the bus travel time reported is accurate, consider too your drive time to the bus station and the parking situation...all that adds up in terms of hassle and time.

Does anyone know when/if N Brunswick NJT station is coming?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 AM

262 posts, read 798,605 times
The train from New Brunswick to Penn Station is pretty much an hour right on the money (barring any delays due to weather -- it seems like rain and/or snow always causes delays).

I take the bus from the East Brunswick Tower Center. From the TC to Port Authority it's 40-45 minutes if you leave on the earlier side (I leave 7-7:30 AM), but it's usually more like 50 min to an hour with normal rush hour traffic. Coming home I take a 4:50 PM bus and I'm at the Tower Center between 5:30 and 5:45 almost everyday.

In two years taking it, I've had a handful of hour and a half to 2 hour commutes when there were accidents.

I don't know the parking fees for the New Brunswick train, but I know there are a bunch of parking decks there (Ferrington being one, I believe).

Parking at the Tower Center is $5 a day.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:48 PM

Thanks for your kind input.

I'm going to park my car at coach usa new brunswick park and ride and take ny port authority bus. does that bus take around 45min to 1hr as well? i will be leaving at 7-7:30am and will take return bus for around 5pm. do you recommend bus v/s train?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:38 AM

264 posts, read 606,203 times
I remember the bus from new brunswick would first go to east brunswick and then onto PA. So that would definitely be longer. In general I prefer the train. New Brunswick will have a few express trains to NY Penn.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:51 PM

Thx. How long does it take u by train.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:46 PM

300 posts, read 913,920 times
It may sound strange and stupid but hearing from people who has done one and half hour plus commute for more than 20 years are regretting doing it. It takes lot of soul searching to realize that 2 hour of commute is not worth it unless your are earning substantially more. So my advice is find job in nj or move closer to path station or move out of nj to places like Atlanta, Raleigh, Houston. No matter what happens including new train station at north brunswick, geography still will have central jersey more than 90 minutes away from manhattan unless there is drastic change in mass trasportation or speed limit on nj tnpk is increased to 100. You may ignore my advice now but will remember after few years.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:36 PM

Yes. I agree with you 100%. I don't want to take that much time of my life on commute everyday. i would rather spend 3hrs everyday of my life for my personal time or doing other things. but unfortunately i don't have any option right now. to be honest, i don't plan on doing this commute for more than 1-1.5 year. i would either prefer to find something in nj or move to other state. I don't have any other option right now but commute .

Old 10-12-2014, 12:43 PM

141 posts, read 208,967 times
NJ Transit via bus is terrible, much worse than the train as far as time spent and the facilities. You should follow NJ Transit on Twitter and read the amount of horrendous stories. Bus riders in particular are very unhappy; getting stuck for hours just outside the tunnel, full buses, missed connections due to late arrivals and departures, extremely long lines at the bus terminal without a/c or seating. Penn Station is pretty bad but I wouldn't go through the Port Authority if they paid me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey