Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 06:09 PM

48 posts, read 233,540 times

Advertisements

We were stopped by traffic police over the weekend for driving a bit over the speed limit. He checked that the inspection had expired on our van over 10 months ago and we missed it completely.

He did not give us a speeding ticket, but we got a NJ 8-1 - Failure to inspect ticket and I saw online that it costs $130!!
We now have the inspection done, and was wondering if I could go to court and expect some leniency?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 06:29 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
Sorry, no. If it was 10 days instead of 10 months and you just got back from serving overseas, maybe you'd get a break.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:31 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpkpkpk View Post
We were stopped by traffic police over the weekend for driving a bit over the speed limit. He checked that the inspection had expired on our van over 10 months ago and we missed it completely.

He did not give us a speeding ticket, but we got a NJ 8-1 - Failure to inspect ticket and I saw online that it costs $130!!
We now have the inspection done, and was wondering if I could go to court and expect some leniency?
I doubt it. Speeding tickets can be negotiated down because there's a range (ie: 5-10 miles over, 11-20 miles over, etc...), so if you were doing 85 in a 65 you can theoretically get it down to 75 in a 65, with inspection, either it's valid/current, or it's not, there's no in between. Just pay it and move on.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:45 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
$130 for a ticket is actually not a bad deal, AND that one has NO points and I think NO record on you license.
You could probably negotiate it to a $485 ticket, yes.
I think paying that one is the cheapest way out and least repercussions.
The cop gave you a break by not writing you up for speeding as that is a movong violation that goes on your record.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:00 PM

I was kind of in a hurry when I wrote the above post, I know it's money, and in my "book" cops should have NO authority to write tickets nor regulate anyone's driving nor make money off it. They are supposed to be cops, police officers, not hall monitors of humanity, but it is what it is. Decades ago tickets where much cheaper like $30 or $35 or so, not lately.

The other item to consider is if you do go to court they usually add about another $33 court costs to the fine. Practically speaking I don't think there's a lot of avenues the judge has to lower a state specified fine. There are a few lower fines but you'd have to get them to modify the original charges, not likely to happen. Then they would add the court fees and you're back to where you started.

One of my kids recently went to NJ traffic court and the judge charged everyone $500 fine plus $33 costs.That's why I think the easiest option to get this "monkey off your back" is to just pay as is. Going to traffic court often gets so oppressive people agree to pay most anything just to get out of there with the least amount of damage to their driving record.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:25 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I was kind of in a hurry when I wrote the above post, I know it's money, and in my "book" cops should have NO authority to write tickets nor regulate anyone's driving nor make money off it. They are supposed to be cops, police officers, not hall monitors of humanity, but it is what it is. Decades ago tickets where much cheaper like $30 or $35 or so, not lately.
If the cops were not "hall monitors of humanity" who would stop the wackos from driving excessive speeds, non inspected POS cars, reckless driving?

Have you seen those videos from Russia, or India or Pakistan, they probably don't have the highway patrol?

Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If the cops were not "hall monitors of humanity" who would stop the wackos from driving excessive speeds, non inspected POS cars, reckless driving?

Have you seen those videos from Russia, or India or Pakistan, they probably don't have the highway patrol?
I know it's not going to change, but hey everyone gets a soapbox here

Old 10-10-2014, 02:20 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
cops should have NO authority to write tickets nor regulate anyone's driving ...
One of my kids recently went to NJ traffic court and the judge charged everyone $500 fine plus $33 costs.
How did the judge like your speech, that police should not have the right to issue tickets?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
How did the judge like your speech, that police should not have the right to issue tickets?
For one thing, it wasn't my turn to speak.
For another thing I'm not that naive to think I could get up on any soapbox when there's a guy dressed up in a costumed robe who's purpose is to figure out how much money he gets to extract from you.

Anyway I also heard there's another ticket they can write called something like refusal to inspect, which after a certain number of months applies and that one is over $300 or $350.

If the OP wanted to really find out the way would be to figure out the town court schedule and go weeks early ahead of your scheduled court date, then just meet with the local prosecutor and talk it over. He would quickly tell you one way or the other whether they could cut you any breaks. Each court ultimately has its own quirks and personality driven by the local town court prosecutor and judge. Going in early before your scheduled court date they can talk it over before any court fees, etc or any late penalties.

All that requires devoting your time so if its just a ticket with no points most people will not bother and just pay it.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:18 AM

Here you go,,, refusal to inspect is MUCh more $$$ like $500 or $600...

The Lakewood Scoop » Failure To Inspect And Refusal To Inspect » The heartbeat of the lakewood community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: