Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:12 PM

13 posts, read 17,650 times

Advertisements

Im looking to live permanently in Hudson County but im beginning to see that the property taxes are ridiculous around there, with the low end starting around 8k a year. Ive seen as high as 14-15k. Its insane compared to the rest of the country. Between those property taxes and mortgage, I would probably need at least 18-20k for just that before all other expenses. Anyway I have a bachelors degree in liberal arts (yes I know ). Im also skilled in construction. But being such a general degree, how difficult is it to obtain a general job that pays at least 30-35k? Is it easy to obtain a job that starts in that range because the cost of living is more? I'm open to travel within about 30 miles of Hudson County in NJ, and Manhattan. The incentive of living in the metro NYC area is the eventual job advancement, but im just trying to figure out how rough it will be to start off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,604,710 times
I would think that most jobs above burger flipping, washing cars etc would pay in the 30'a but I really don't know personally since I'm in a more professional category for decades. Not bragging or anything but just wondering what most entry level jobs are. And those real estate taxes sound like the same most people are paying throughout NJ.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,139 times
you can probably be a police officer. construction in the area pays well if you pick the right company. I am a machinist with 2 years experience and i am making 28k-30k per year depending on overtime. I work near ridgewood nj.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,673,279 times
Most white collar jobs in the city will start at $35k-$40k per year.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:56 PM

564 posts, read 1,724,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enacra View Post
Im looking to live permanently in Hudson County but im beginning to see that the property taxes are ridiculous around there, with the low end starting around 8k a year. Ive seen as high as 14-15k. Its insane compared to the rest of the country. Between those property taxes and mortgage, I would probably need at least 18-20k for just that before all other expenses. Anyway I have a bachelors degree in liberal arts (yes I know ). Im also skilled in construction. But being such a general degree, how difficult is it to obtain a general job that pays at least 30-35k? Is it easy to obtain a job that starts in that range because the cost of living is more? I'm open to travel within about 30 miles of Hudson County in NJ, and Manhattan. The incentive of living in the metro NYC area is the eventual job advancement, but im just trying to figure out how rough it will be to start off.
You may want to factor in income taxes, so if you go for a job that pays 30-35K, you may not be able to set aside the 18-20K for your housing needs.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:00 AM

13 posts, read 17,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
You may want to factor in income taxes, so if you go for a job that pays 30-35K, you may not be able to set aside the 18-20K for your housing needs.

Income taxes are going to be deducting that much??? What exactly are we looking at?

And while the point is brought up, what other hidden taxes may there be living in the area? I know I heard something about a commuters tax that they tax if you live in NJ and work in NY.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:25 AM

988 posts, read 1,742,497 times
There's no longer a commuter tax but there are rumors that it might be brought back by DeBlasio.
As for income taxes, obviously depends on your deductions, but a $30-35K gross income should probably net out to ~ $20-25K take-home pay. Once you factor in housing costs, commuting costs, personal expenses, utilities, etc etc, you're probably looking at ~ $8-10K left over. Purchasing property is probably not a realistic goal for you at this point in time.
As well, your salary is entirely dependent upon your field of work; if you're in the tech or financial sector , starting salary will be quite higher, at least $40-50K. However, if you're in, say, advertising or fashion or publishing or something else of that ilk (which, considering you have a liberal arts degree, is a likely avenue for employment), your starting salary will be MUCH lower, most likely in the $20-25K range.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:34 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,713,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
There's no longer a commuter tax but there are rumors that it might be brought back by DeBlasio.
As for income taxes, obviously depends on your deductions, but a $30-35K gross income should probably net out to ~ $20-25K take-home pay. Once you factor in housing costs, commuting costs, personal expenses, utilities, etc etc, you're probably looking at ~ $8-10K left over. Purchasing property is probably not a realistic goal for you at this point in time.
As well, your salary is entirely dependent upon your field of work; if you're in the tech or financial sector , starting salary will be quite higher, at least $40-50K. However, if you're in, say, advertising or fashion or publishing or something else of that ilk (which, considering you have a liberal arts degree, is a likely avenue for employment), your starting salary will be MUCH lower, most likely in the $20-25K range.

Yes. I was shocked reading this b/c I started at $30K in 1989, it's disheartening to see how salaries have stagnated even with a L.A. degree. But you're right about the field, my company pays summer interns about $25/hr in tech fields.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 AM

988 posts, read 1,742,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
[/b]

Yes. I was shocked reading this b/c I started at $30K in 1989, it's disheartening to see how salaries have stagnated even with a L.A. degree. But you're right about the field, my company pays summer interns about $25/hr in tech fields.
Yeah; unfortunately, a lot of the areas of industry where a general LA degree could you get somewhere have been greatly harmed by all the rapid changes in technology in the past 15-20 years. I mean, heck, if you try to get into advertising or publishing right now, you need to start off as an unpaid intern, just to get your foot in the door, with no guarantee of earning a paid permanent position. I'm supremely happy I'm older and grew up in a time when it was far easier to find employment; can't even fathom being a young person today seeking employment.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:05 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,713,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
Yeah; unfortunately, a lot of the areas of industry where a general LA degree could you get somewhere have been greatly harmed by all the rapid changes in technology in the past 15-20 years. I mean, heck, if you try to get into advertising or publishing right now, you need to start off as an unpaid intern, just to get your foot in the door, with no guarantee of earning a paid permanent position. I'm supremely happy I'm older and grew up in a time when it was far easier to find employment; can't even fathom being a young person today seeking employment.
Agreed. I'm worried about my kids (16 yrs old).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: