Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

we live in Maplewood/South Orange right on the Midtown Direct Trainline. It is a short commute; the majority of people who live here commute into the city. It is short compared to towns further out. It takes people about 60 minutes door to door.

For the price you are looking at you will have a lot to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 07:28 AM

10 posts, read 35,253 times
I didn't say that you recommended Piscataway but you do live there. I'm not sure that you should be passing judgement as to what towns are not considered middle class or better.

I happen to own a home in Yardley Manor in Old Bridge. This was a town that you indicated was not in a good school district (statistically our schools are better than average) and is not considered "upper middle class". Most people in my area do very well, have a high level of education and most importantly have excellent morals and ethics.

I didn't say that Spotswood "ain't" a middle class town (or better) because...
a. I don't use words that do not exist in the "human" language.
b. The last reliable census established in the United States was in the year 2000. One couldn't possibly formulate an opinion of an entire town based on demographics that were researched 8 years ago. The town is "building up" because of it's close proximity to exit 8a off the turnpike, and good schools. It may become a very "desirable" town to live in.

One couldn't possibly sum up an entire class of people residing in a town. Most towns in New Jersey are diverse in "class", and the disirability factor of a town is based on the needs and desire of the individual.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelgrl911 View Post
I didn't say that Spotswood "ain't" a middle class town (or better) because...
a. I don't use words that do not exist in the "human" language.

"Ain't" appears to be the word you are suggesting does "not exist in the "human" language." For your edification, it certainly does exist in the English language, which is, to the best of my knowledge, one of the many languages in use by humans. Here's a definition from an acknowledged expert on words & their meanings in the English language, Merriam-Webster;
"
aint

One entry found.

ain't
Main Entry: ain't Pronunciation: \ˈānt\ Etymology: contraction of are not Date: 1749 1 : am not : are not : is not 2 : have not : has not 3 : do not : does not : did not —used in some varieties of Black English
usage Although widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated, ain't in senses 1 and 2 is flourishing in American English. It is used in both speech and writing to catch attention and to gain emphasis <the wackiness of movies, once so deliciously amusing, ain't funny anymore — Richard Schickel> <I am telling you—there ain't going to be any blackmail — R. M. Nixon>. It is used especially in journalistic prose as part of a consistently informal style <the creative process ain't easy — Mike Royko>. This informal ain't is commonly distinguished from habitual ain't by its frequent occurrence in fixed constructions and phrases <well—class it ain't— Cleveland Amory> <for money? say it ain't so, Jimmy! — Andy Rooney> <you ain't seen nothing yet> <that ain't hay> <two out of three ain't bad> <if it ain't broke, don't fix it>. In fiction ain't is used for purposes of characterization; in familiar correspondence it tends to be the mark of a warm personal friendship. It is also used for metrical reasons in popular songs <Ain't She Sweet> <It Ain't Necessarily So>. Our evidence shows British use to be much the same as American."

Old 04-04-2008, 07:15 AM

Sorry Bill,
Perhaps I'm one who disapproves of the word "ain't", when used in a nonstandard fashion by those who are less educated.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:34 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,267 times
Spotswood is a dump. Piscataway ain't a whole lot better but it's better.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelgrl911 View Post
Sorry Bill,
Perhaps I'm one who disapproves of the word "ain't", when used in a nonstandard fashion by those who are less educated.
No need to apologize. For the record, I also disapprove of it's use, as it makes the user appear uneducated, even if they are not. Though I leave others alone about it, if I hear my own children use it, (which I almost never hear anymore) I always stop them & point out how it sounds.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 PM

I hear you. My children believe words like "chillax" (chill out and relax) and ginormous (giant and enormous) are perfectly acceptable and use it consistently. My nine year old just told me he is going to "bounce" because he's tired and needs to go to bed. Apparently this means that he is going to leave. I am getting old.
I believe ginormous and chillax are going to be added to the English Dictionary. This is information I received from my friend, who is an assistant principal for a high school on Staten Island. This information depressed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey