Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:32 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Not just Dallas!
Overall, Texas is just such an...inviting...state for those who might be of a different race, or nationality, or sexual identity.

Race-Mixing

The KKK was originally a white democrat organization, today's KKK is mostly found in the midwest. Goes to show how ignorant people are on citi-data NJ.

Listen, I grew up in NJ from birth to after college. Interracial relationships and/or marriages were rare.

If you go to Austin, Dallas, Houston, Ft. Worth, there are significantly more interracial marriages and interracial children, hispanic/whites, hispanic/black, Blacks/whites, asian/whites. It's become to the point where it's common.

In NJ, it's usually a double take moment. That's just the truth.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 10-27-2014 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I mean, I like Texas and all, I was actually just in the Dallas area this summer, but come on. Someone in Texas preaching to NJ about diversity and segregation? When half of NJ is part of the NY Metro area, which is one of the most diverse regions/cities of the country racially and ethnically? It's a little odd to me.

I think this country is more divided by socioeconomic status, as I said, than race - not just this state, but this country. Race and socioeconomic status can often play into one another, but I know that I don't care about who moves into my town/neighborhood as long as they are kind, respectful people who have no intentions to stir up any trouble of any sort. They could be white, black, purple for all I care - as long as they're good people that "fit" into the town in that way, we won't have a problem. I think many feel this way. Often "fitting" into the town requires you to be able to afford the town so you can live there in the first place, and live a certain lifestyle that many in the town live. People of any race or ethnicity can fit the mold.

You still do not get it. Having more immigrant minority population DOES NOT automatically make for an integrated society. NY Metro area has LOTS of minorities but people DO NOT associate with each other outside when they have to, ie workplace or school. DIVERSITY does not mean INTEGRATION is the thing you seem to not get.

In NYC, you have specific "Asian parties", black clubs, Latin clubs. Go to an Asian party in Manhattan. It's all Asian, maybe the token 2 non-Asians in the entire crowd. Walk into a black club down near meatpacking district, you'd be hardpressed to fine one White person there. Now go to a salsa club near Newark, NJ, you get the picture. Look at the neighborhoods throughout the 5 boroughs. It's very segregated by your specific ethnicity. Go to Flatbush brooklyn, take a look around, then go to Williamsburg. You'll get the picture.

In Dallas, there is not the same kind of ethnic-specific economics and people are much more INTEGRATED in their every day lives than NJ and even NY. If you walk into a Black owned restaurant outside Fort Worth for instance, you'll find blacks and whites eating in the same dining room. Go to a barmitzvah in TX, you'll find hispanics, blacks, asians, and Non-jewish whites invited. What's the difference down there? People actually associate with people of other races in their leisure time outside of work. Yes, poor whites live on the same streets as poor blacks and poor Hispanics wheras in Jersey and many other places in the Northeast, people tend to stick together according to their specific subculture ethnicity

Northeast diversity is actually a very subverted and segregated society of enclaves. This is typical in most liberal regions. There are several housewives reality shows on television. They are all generally non-race specific but WHY is it that the Housewives of NJ is so overtly Italian, about Italian families who ONLY associate with other Italians???

Finally, there is a reason why many Northern blacks are moving to the South, esp Texas. If it was so bad, why are they moving South?

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 10-27-2014 at 03:00 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, my experiences in NJ are completely different from yours. i'm irish and italian. my wife is filipina and jewish. my neighbors up the street are from senagal. and next to them, a white guy from lancaster, pa is married to a brazilian woman. down the road a woman from poland is married to an irish guy. my puerto rican neighbor is married to an african american. my new neighbors are both african america, not sure what their background is though but one definitely has an accent. i could go the rest of the way around the block and include the white guy from CT who's married to a guatamalen woman, or the guy from oklahoma who's wife is from the french carribean, but i think you get the point.

as for your comments on Koreans - i have a lot of korean friends who will freely admit the racial stereotypes that exist within the korean culture - and some of those friends are from Texas and live there now.

oh, and it's 2014 - if you're still ignorant about what's hateful, then you're just hateful, in my opinion. when my grandmother, who died 10 years ago, said certain things out of racial ignorance, that's one thing - but you just proved exactly my point about texas. it's racist, and they don't even believe it's racist. they'll just chalk it up to ignorance.

How are those "unregalated business laws" working for a company like Tesla? seems like they have regulations in Texas too. Just depends on who they want to protect.

Texas will have to start building out their infrastructure, and that will cost money.

Austin and Houston are consisntently on the "worst commutes" list, both frequently in the top 5.

then of course there's the huge increase in road fatalities in texas, due in part to the fracking boom.

also, it should be noted much of texas' employment growth under their current governor has been an explosion in government jobs.
exactly, you proved my point. the way life is in liberal regions like Jersey, people are just ALWAYS defining others by their cultural ethnicities first. it's never just about two AMERICANS who got married. In TX, people don't go around saying, how an Italian and a Jew got married, and had kids who went on to marry a Hispanic-American, etc etc or how someone's governor is an Irish-American. People don't think like that in Dallas. Instead it's about if you're an American or if you're NOT. Wheras in NJ, you are defined by your bloodlines and religion first.

If you are actually trying to make an argument that the Soprano state has less business regulation and corruption than TX, you need to take a class in Global Econ.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 10-27-2014 at 02:24 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

status, as I said, than race - not just this state, but this country. Race and socioeconomic status can often play into one another, but I know that I don't care about who moves into my town/neighborhood as long as they are kind, respectful people who have no intentions to stir up any trouble of any sort. They could be white, black, purple for all I care - as long as they're good people that "fit" into the town in that way, we won't have a problem. I think many feel this way. Often "fitting" into the town requires you to be able to afford the town so you can live there in the first place, and live a certain lifestyle that many in the town live. People of any race or ethnicity can fit the mold.
Poor people in NJ of different cultures don't associate with one another. They remain in their own enclaves. Has little to do with socioeconomics and more to do with politics and race.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 10-27-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 02:20 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
The KKK was originally a white democrat organization, today's KKK is mostly found in the midwest. Goes to show how ignorant people are on citi-data NJ.

Listen, I grew up in NJ from birth to after college. Interracial relationships and/or marriages were rare.

If you go to Austin, Dallas, Houston, Ft. Worth, there are significantly more interracial marriages and interracial children, hispanic/whites, hispanic/black, Blacks/whites, asian/whites. It's become to the point where it's common.

In NJ, it's usually a double take moment. That's just the truth.
There is some truth to some of the things you have said, but this is completely false. I don't know what part of NJ you are from, but in the area where I live and work, interracial relationships are completely normal things you see throughout the day. I don't even notice it unless it is pointed out for some reason.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
There is some truth to some of the things you have said, but this is completely false. I don't know what part of NJ you are from, but in the area where I live and work, interracial relationships are completely normal things you see throughout the day. I don't even notice it unless it is pointed out for some reason.
Right it happens so often where you work that someone has the need to point it out for "some reason"
I'm not talking the random few instances a day, I'm talking common.

I lived in Bergen County. Where do you live and work?

Old 10-27-2014, 03:07 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Right it happens so often where you work that someone has the need to point it out for "some reason"
I'm not talking the random few instances a day, I'm talking common.

I lived in Bergen County. Where do you live and work?
You are trying to tailor people's words to fit your narrative.

It wouldn't be that uncommon to hear a Filipino wife tell a story about about how her Italian husband hates Filipino food or any mixed couple discussing their cultural differences for that matter. My white, Jewish friend and his African American wife of 14 years talk and joke about it all the time. It's not something they are ashamed of, intact, quite the opposite. Different cultures are something to be celebrated. Nobody "has the need to point it out". It just happens naturally sometimes, but most of the time, you don't even notice.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You are trying to tailor people's words to fit your narrative.

It wouldn't be that uncommon to hear a Filipino wife tell a story about about how her Italian husband hates Filipino food or any mixed couple discussing their cultural differences for that matter. My white, Jewish friend and his African American wife of 14 years talk and joke about it all the time. It's not something they are ashamed of, intact, quite the opposite. Different cultures are something to be celebrated. Nobody "has the need to point it out". It just happens naturally sometimes, but most of the time, you don't even notice.
This is the point of my responses on this thread. Everyone is defined by their bloodlines first in NJ, it isn't like that in other parts of the country where people generally just consider themselves American and find their commonality as Americans first.

I'm what Jersey folks would probably call a WASP, but I don't even know what that means anymore. I don't talk about my Anglican bloodlines, and don't even eat crumpets or drink tea. I'm just American.

Is it any surprise that NJ is so divided, socially and politically?

Old 10-27-2014, 03:40 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
And today, it's a white Republican-dominated group.
What's your point?

And, as I proved with the website that I posted, The KKK is most definitely alive and well in Texas in 2014.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:03 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
I never said folks in TX don't care about cultural history, but it doesn't define people as it does in NJ. In NJ, you will always be considered an "Irish-American", or "Italian-American" or "Chinese-American" and not just AMERICAN. People don't walk around telling folks they're Irish/Italian/Puerto rican mix. They just say they're American. "Where you from bubba?" "I'm from Austin." That's the extent of it.

People who constantly label themselves and others outside their citizen status, the thing that Liberals LOVE to do is what Texans refer to as "Yanks", people who consider their American identity secondary. Also, I don't see many Irish eating in the same places up in West NY, North Bergen with the Hispanics do you? Trust me, NJ is alot more segregated than TX and this obsession of race identity in NJ and racial pride is what causes people to approach others race first, even if he/she was born here.
If someone asks me where I'm from, I don't say Italy. I'm from the US, New Jersey, Union County, Cranford. I am an American. That goes without saying, does it not? If a fellow American asks me where I'm from, I will say my town but if they ask where my family is from, I will say what countries they migrated from in the last 100 years or so. If I'm out of the country and someone asks where I'm from, I will say America and New Jersey. I don't see the difference between here and Texas in that response. Being proud of our ethnicities and having ties to them doesn't make us less American. That is actually a very American quality to have. Everyone loves to preach about diversity and preserving their families' cultures in this country (we cater to the Spanish speakers now, "press 2 for Spanish"... what's the Hispanic presence and heritage like in TX btw??) does that not apply to white ethnic Americans? So what if my family has fish on Christmas Eve as Italians? Does that make us less American because we don't eat, what, ham and potatoes or turkey, what one may consider a "typical" American holiday meal? That "typical" meal has roots in other countries, too, ironically...

Point is, you can be an American and still be close to your roots. There is nothing wrong with that. That's what NJ is like. This area is still close to its 19th and 20th century immigration boom... what's more American than that time period? Opening Ellis Island to Europe to allow the poor immigrants into our country? Probably nothing, to be honest. "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses..." That's engraved on the Statue of Liberty, right in NJ waters.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 10-27-2014 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey