Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yes. I definitely agree with that part too. It doesn't bother me so much when a 22 year old does it. They know everything. It's the "adults" here that do it, that gets annoying to me.
You're right, I should cut him some slack. Thanks for the perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 PM

477 posts, read 800,644 times
I feel pretty stupid when I realize how far my household's income could go in other states. How much of a bigger home we could have for much less. Which is why we won't be in NJ in the longterm future.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:19 AM

880 posts, read 1,250,981 times
Relatively weak trolling attempt.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:40 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I'm sure Bergen County wasn't the only place, but it does seem as if some places take preservation of green space and traffic issues into account better than others do.
They do now, sometimes, but they didn't then. I've gotten pretty tired of seeing corn fields sprouting houses.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:05 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
Relatively weak trolling attempt.
I don't see how people in NJ couldn't be blessed when they have way more resources, wealth, and jobs too draw upon than those of us in flyover country.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:30 AM

362 posts, read 497,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majosha View Post
Anyone thinking this is a privileged state has never travelled otside of here... I am 22, lived in the same town in Morris my whole life. Don't get me wrong, I could think of few better places tk have grown up given the outdoor rec and prox to everything. But I am getting the hell out of here ASAP, just accepted a job offer in te south, and couldn't be happier. This state is screwed and will only be getting worse. For some reason people born here seem to get stuck in some real thinking it's the holy land or something, they think it's the best place on earth, never want to leave, etx. I just don't get it... In my opinion, NJ is bottom of the barrel in this country. There are so many amaIng aces in this country as compared to NJ that I truly think anyone wanting to be here permanently are actually slightly mentally handicapped. But that's jut my 2cents. It's a love hate relationship, but at this point in my life, it's 95% hate. It's time to go.

You must be mentally handicapped yourself to call almost 9 million people "mentally handicapped" based on your sorry a** opinions.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:35 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't see how people in NJ couldn't be blessed when they have way more resources, wealth, and jobs too draw upon than those of us in flyover country.
Hey, I'm glad YOU said it. This was kind of what I was thinking. I feel privileged for having many more opportunities in this area than those in some other areas of the country would have. NJ is a small state and half the state (which is more than half the residents) has easy access to NYC for work, while the other half isn't that far away, at least they can enjoy the city.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Do you feel blessed or fortunate to be from such a wealthy and prosperous state, where there are ample professional jobs, high wages, comparatively safe, and generally good schools? Granted, everywhere has warts, but NJ is one of the best off states in the country. Do you find being in NJ a major advantage compared to the South or Midwest?
I have lived in 3 different states, Dallas TX, NYC, Northern Jersey so here's my 2 cents.

New Jersey was by far the the worst place to live in terms of taxation, economics, land and property laws, business regulation and general society. Don't get me wrong, I was raised in New Jersey and up to highschool and back after college for 5 years, I even bought a condo in NJ back then. I never thought anything negative because I never had anything to compare it to. It was all I knew.

My next destination was Dallas suburb when I got a job tranfer to be closer to my wife's family, and this is where I raised my family for 13 years. There was no comparison, my time in Dallas was far better. I didn't realize what "freedom" truly meant until I arrived here with regards to law. Our family even opened a small business and was very swift. NJ was red tape, corruption city compared. But a little about myself, it most likely had alot to do with my political and religous affiliations. I am a Protestant, voting Republican and my lifestyle fit right in Dallas. No state taxes, low property taxes <1%, superior schools, conservative values and ironically, much less segregation and racism.

North Jersey is very liberal, mostly Democrats and Catholics, major school issues with drugs and alcohol, you pay alot for less, pay lots and lots of taxes and social life is enclaved segregation of races. Not saying that no other state has drug issues, but NJ takes the cake on that one for Suburbia. In terms of race, I remember no one associating with others outside their own personal culture. Meaning the Italians stick with the Italians, the Irish with the Irish, the Chinese with the Chinese, the Hispanics with the Hispanics, the Blacks with the blacks, and so on. NJ was "diverse" but very segregated with each "group" living their own version of America which I really disliked. Dallas, everyone was just American if that makes any sense.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 10-22-2014 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 815 times
Default NJ just might be the WORST state

No, I do not, and I am actively working on plans to get the **** out of nj. Here's why:

High cost of living. I rent an attic room for 500/month plus utilities. My friend in Virginia rents a spacious apartment for that money. Property taxes if you own a house are the highest in the country.
Traffic. I can't take the parkway anymore to school because I will sit thru 2 hours of traffic, almost guaranteed.
Lack of parks/ and beaches are dirty. I have to drive at least an hour for a decent hike, there are no mountains, and the beaches are quite filthy here.

So it feels like I'm paying all this money to live here, but what am I getting for it? My friend who lives in SoCal is paying similiar prices and also dealing with traffic, but at least he gets perfect weather and LA, so he's getting something, to use him as an example.

I can only think of 3 reasons to live here:
1. You have close family ties going back 3 generations.
2. You have an established successful business in the area.
3. You make a ton of money on wall st.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:58 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
I feel it's a blessing (privileged) and a curse to have been born and live(ing) in NJ.

Blessing for all the amenities the state has.

A curse for the expense and "choking" feel living in this state can have and if one doesn't have the financial resources and may be seeing the dark end of the tunnel ahead of them will find it hard to match the same familiar amenities elsewhere while trying to decrease their cost of living.

I bet many reading the above can relate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey