Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,259 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently accepted a new position to begin 1/5/15 and will be moving to the central NJ area. I have been searching for apartments and am extremely confused at this point. Any advice or leads would be greatly appreciated. Here is what I am looking for:

1. a commute under 1 hour to Short Hills (I will be working across from the mall)
2. a safe community
3. rental price under $1,300-$1,400 (I know I am pushing my luck)
4. cat friendly rental (we only have one at the current time, he is neutered but does have his claws)
5. a fair amount of living space. it will be my husband and I moving. He has no area preference as he is still searching for a position and is open to making my commute reasonable. we would prefer to have 800+ sq ft.
6. we would also prefer a wash/dry in our apartment or wherever we live and would like a gas range for our cooking.

I know we are asking for a lot and what I have found from the area is a huge shock! the biggest issue is we currently live in Brigantine so it is hard to have time to get up there to see places since my husband currently works Tues-Saturday/Sunday and I work Monday - Friday. I am originally from central PA so I know very little about NJ and my husband is from Bucks County, PA and only really knows about Brigantine and some shore areas of South NJ so please, all positive help that I can get would be so appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

oh and we are looking to move around Mid-December (prior to Christmas). Thanks!!

Last edited by alywebby23; 10-17-2014 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: additional information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:24 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Budget may be tough in that area. Lots of people like Morristown because it has a little bit of everything and is not far from Short Hills.

Parsippany is a bit further north on 287. Not as much to do as Morristown but it seems to have lots of rentals to check out.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 AM

324 posts, read 575,230 times
Short Hills is in "North Jersey" by all definitions. You could live in "Central NJ" and have a commute under 1 hour to there, but I don't see why you'd want do that.

There are definitely rentals that match all of your criteria. Gas ranges are common in the area. Your budget, laundry and pet requirements will all reduce your options, but a 1 hour commute gives you a wide search area.

I also think Parsippany is the most likely fit, but other towns around there might have some rentals that also match your criteria.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:50 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Budget may be tough in that area. Lots of people like Morristown because it has a little bit of everything and is not far from Short Hills.

Parsippany is a bit further north on 287. Not as much to do as Morristown but it seems to have lots of rentals to check out.
I agree with Parsippany. There seems to be a ton of apartment complexes there. A friend of mine just moved there and is renting a 1BR for $1050/month. It's a decent size apartment. There is no washer/dryer in the unit but I believe they have them on site. In general it really isn't that common to have a washer/dryer in unit unless you're renting a condo or townhouse. I believe his range is electric but I don't really see how that would be a deal breaker when renting an apartment.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
I would say anywhere around there East towards Springfield north towards Livingston or the Caldwells, North West as for as Denville and Rockaway, once past there you might hit longer distance commute traffic. Also some closer in towns along the mountain ridge like Stirling, Berkeley heights, New Providence. Most of those are local and maybe within a half hour or so.

Springfield for instance is the next town over. Livingston and that area is just North.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:37 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Look into Chatham , Summit , New Providence and Millburn ,all have some decent apartments .

Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 PM

200 posts, read 555,066 times
Unlikely to find anything in Chatham or Summit for $1300. Parsippany is your best bet, maybe Montclair.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Check Springfield, Madison, Chatham, Montclairm Maplewood and south orange. Your budget is low but you'll find something! The one item you probably won't get is a washer/dryer. It's a beautiful area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey