Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 01:45 PM

30 posts, read 74,200 times

Advertisements

Relocating BACK to New Jersey from Charlotte within the next 6 months for husband's job in Rutherford. We have lived in New Jersey twice before in Somerset and Hunterdon Counties, left last time in 2009. We're shooting for somewhere in Morris County this time around, possibly Mendham, Hackettstown or Budd Lake/Mount Olive area. Loved living in Hunterdon county so we're looking for something similar as far as space and housing is concerned. We know he's looking at about an hour commute and he's good with it, possibly considering NJ Transit as an alternative to driving. We've got two children so will need good school districts. Looking for a family oriented area relatively close to shopping and amenities. Interested in newer (20 years or less) single family homes in the $500-700K range. I would like to be within 30-40 minutes from either Hackettstown or Mendham as there is a specific dance school we would need to attend for my daughter. Are there any other areas that I may be overlooking? Thoughts on things I should consider on relocating back after 5 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 02:16 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooziesue View Post
Relocating BACK to New Jersey from Charlotte within the next 6 months for husband's job in Rutherford. We have lived in New Jersey twice before in Somerset and Hunterdon Counties, left last time in 2009. We're shooting for somewhere in Morris County this time around, possibly Mendham, Hackettstown or Budd Lake/Mount Olive area. Loved living in Hunterdon county so we're looking for something similar as far as space and housing is concerned. We know he's looking at about an hour commute and he's good with it, possibly considering NJ Transit as an alternative to driving. We've got two children so will need good school districts. Looking for a family oriented area relatively close to shopping and amenities. Interested in newer (20 years or less) single family homes in the $500-700K range. I would like to be within 30-40 minutes from either Hackettstown or Mendham as there is a specific dance school we would need to attend for my daughter. Are there any other areas that I may be overlooking? Thoughts on things I should consider on relocating back after 5 years?
Morris County is a great area. As well as the surrounding areas. I lived in downtown Morristown for four years. Liked it very much. Charlotte is a great town. Surprised you would move back to NJ after so many years getting established in Charlotte. The property taxes up here and hard winters are tough. Also the state is in very bad financial shape (twice having its credit rating downgraded). Taxes will have to be increased in order to fund the ballooning pension system the residents here created. Your husband's commute to Rutherford in the winter will be treacherous from Morris County. That aside, MC is a very nice family-friendly area. Plus downtown Morristown has really started to come alive....

Jockey Hollow

Old 10-19-2014, 02:54 PM

28 posts, read 47,903 times
Based on your requirements, and as a resident, I think Pompton Plains or Pequannock is a good option. It is a lot closer to Rutherford than those towns in Western Morris County, as it is on the eastern-most side of the county. Mendham is very, very expensive and your budget will probably land you in a smaller, older home, while for Pompton Plains, your budget is optimal for the more desirable areas. In all the towns you are looking at as well as Pompton Plains, finding a house under 20 years old will be difficult if not impossible to accomplish and if you find one in Mendham, it will be way too expensive. The other towns however it will be more doable. Mendham has the best reputation of schools, largely in part to its affluence, while Pompton Plains is in second, and the others do not compare. Pompton Plains is far less competitive, in both education and with "keeping up with the Jones'", which can be good or bad. Pompton Plains also has a nice little downtown district as well as easy access to other forms of shopping. Having a hospital in town is also a huge plus. The only con is that part of the town is in a flood zone, but your budget should not include homes in the flood zone, and (knock on wood) it has not flooded since Irene. Below is a link to Zillow that include homes in your budget. Chances are you could go under 500K, too!

Homes For Sale & Real Estate - Zillow

Good luck, I think you'd like it here!

Old 10-19-2014, 08:58 PM

24 posts, read 57,632 times
Well Htown is Warren, not Morris. Do not live there if your husband is commuting to Rutherford. Believe me, the traffic on 80, which is the ONLY roD you'll be on, is horrific. Look into Passaic County... It's closer, more urban (if you're into that) but you'll be paying more in propery taxes. That's the other thing... Be prepared to be paying 10k a year in taxes... It's disgusting. I've been in north Morris my entire life and I'm getting out. My honest advice is to not come here at all, this state is a dump politically and socially. But if you need to... Stick closet to work if possible. There are some incredible woodsy towns in Passaic (mainly Wrst Milford) but that'll still be a hell of a commute. Thankfully you'll be dealin with 23 direct to 46/3 as opposed to 80... As I said... You do NOT wanna e be ANYWHERE in 80 in rush hour... And the further west you live the ****tier the commute. Anywhere from western Morris will literally be suicide inducing. Do your research and by all means Pricate message me... I know the area very very well. IMO The biggest consideration in ones move is proximity to work... Commuting is the single biggest drain financially and mentally, especially here in NJ.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,757 times
If I was you and i had 500-700k to spend and you want good schools I would look into Shrewsbury, Littl Silver, Rumson Fairhaven area. Commute to rutherford not as bad as fighting Rt 80 every day. Schools in this part of Monmouth county are excellent and you will be close to the beach. I-we lived in charlotte for 20 years and had to move back to NJ and we live in North Tinton Faslls on the Shrewsbury-Red Bank-Colts neck border. Taxes are still 10k though.....

Old 10-20-2014, 12:44 PM

30 posts, read 74,200 times
Thanks all for the input. Believe me, I'd rather chew glass than relocate back to New Jersey, but, as the saying goes...man plans, God laughs. I adore living here in Charlotte and the fact that I have to come back to the cold and brutal property taxes makes me physically ill. That being said, I need to find the best fit for my family. I know too well that traffic in NJ is vicious. Lived in Flemington and commuted to Edison every day...287 on a daily makes you contemplate euthanasia. Thought about New York or CT as an alternative, but they're really not much better for commuting, property taxes or density. Going to look into your suggestions and hopefully find some I can tolerate.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:11 PM

65 posts, read 125,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooziesue View Post
Thanks all for the input. Believe me, I'd rather chew glass than relocate back to New Jersey, but, as the saying goes...man plans, God laughs. I adore living here in Charlotte and the fact that I have to come back to the cold and brutal property taxes makes me physically ill. That being said, I need to find the best fit for my family. I know too well that traffic in NJ is vicious. Lived in Flemington and commuted to Edison every day...287 on a daily makes you contemplate euthanasia. Thought about New York or CT as an alternative, but they're really not much better for commuting, property taxes or density. Going to look into your suggestions and hopefully find some I can tolerate.
No, they certainly are not. God bless... I feel terrible for you. That's an awful reality to face, hahaha

Old 10-20-2014, 07:05 PM

472 posts, read 812,404 times
You could try Chatham. There are good schools and there's a nice downtown.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:06 PM

124 posts, read 227,739 times
NJ's credit rating has been downgraded 8 times since Christie has been in office.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:41 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,757 times
Just wondering, what part of Charlotte are you presently living today??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey