Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 AM

18 posts, read 146,321 times

Advertisements

I'm considering buying a house that has an oil tank underground. I know it can cost 8 to 100+k in clean up if there is a leak.

I understand this test is required if you are removing the tank. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Is the soil test required when decommissioning the tank?

Any other options?

Also another question... there is a gas line going into the house. is it easy to convert into gas from oil (buying new gas furnace)? or do I have to run a new gas line from the street into the house for heating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2012 View Post
I'm considering buying a house that has an oil tank underground. I know it can cost 8 to 100+k in clean up if there is a leak.

I understand this test is required if you are removing the tank. (correct me if I'm wrong). Yes, but these laws, regulations have changed over time

Is the soil test required when decommissioning the tank? Probably, but depends when it was decommissioned on the "effort" put into the test and the regulations surrounding it.

Any other options? Yes, have the seller pull it/find another house.

Also another question... there is a gas line going into the house. is it easy to convert into gas from oil (buying new gas furnace)? or do I have to run a new gas line from the street into the house for heating?
Depends on the gas line size but generally yes, it is easy. So maybe you will maybe you will not. Depends on gas line size and your house demand.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:28 AM

860 posts, read 1,338,252 times
Yes, soil testing is required whether you are removing or abandoning the tank in place.

Removing tank - no groundwater in the tank grave
If there is no groundwater present in the tank grave, then one sample per 5 foot of tank length (4 ft tank=1 sample, 10 ft tank=2 samples, 12 foot tank=3 samples) must be collected from 6 inches below the centerline of the tank.

Removing tank - groundwater in the tank grave
If groundwater is present in the tank grave, then one sample for every 30 linear feet of sidewall must be collected from 6 inches above the high water table. Typically, this amounts to 1 sample per side, or 4 samples total.

Abandoning a tank in place
Today, abandoning a tank in place is usually only allowed when the tank is situated under your foundation or is otherwise situated such that removing the tank would destabilize the house. However even then, abandonment in place may not be allowed. When abandoning in place, the top of the tank will be exposed cut open, the interior cleaned, and the the bottom of the tank will be cut open to collect soil samples from the centerline with the number of samples depending on the length of the tank (same as the Removing tank - no groundwater in the tank grave option).

Personally, working in this business, I wouldn't recommend buying the house unless the seller removes the tank for you, signs legal documents making them the responsible party, puts funds in escrow for cleanup, etc. or some combination of the above. At the very least get the soil around the tank tested before buying and be there for the sampling to inspect the soil yourself.

If you want any more info on the specifics of sampling, etc. please feel free to PM me or ask below. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 AM

121 posts, read 170,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2012 View Post

I understand this test is required if you are removing the tank. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Is the soil test required when decommissioning the tank?

Any other options?

Did the same thing recently.

1) Yes - you have to get it done. That is the only way you will know that there has been no contamination.

2) Depends. You have to get some plumbers to come in and take a look. I had different guys tell me different things, finally went with a new connection.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:48 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Make the seller pull the tank and take care of remediation if needed. If they won't do it, find another house.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,214 times
Kiru,
Could you tell me how I can know if a old house has oil tank or not? Should the seller tell about the existing oil tank legally? Thanks.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:52 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyoonx View Post
Kiru,
Could you tell me how I can know if a old house has oil tank or not? Should the seller tell about the existing oil tank legally? Thanks.
If the seller knows about a tank, they should disclose it, especially if you ask. It is possible for a tank to have been decommissioned or abandoned before the current owner became the owner, which might result in the current owner not knowing about it. You can go to the municipality, to see if they have records of a tank existing or being decommissioned. For a couple hundred dollars, you can have a tank scan done on the property to find out if there is a tank of any kind.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:25 PM

860 posts, read 1,338,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
If the seller knows about a tank, they should disclose it, especially if you ask. It is possible for a tank to have been decommissioned or abandoned before the current owner became the owner, which might result in the current owner not knowing about it. You can go to the municipality, to see if they have records of a tank existing or being decommissioned. For a couple hundred dollars, you can have a tank scan done on the property to find out if there is a tank of any kind.
I agree with Bill Keegan. And, just because a seller should disclose it, doesn't mean they will. When you do the home inspection be very observant around the utilities area. For example, my home was converted from oil to gas a while ago by the previous owner. However, there is an oil furnace emergency switch on the wall of the basement. Details like that can clue you in to whether there was a tank, either above or underground. For underground tanks that have been removed, you can also look for patches in the interior and exterior building foundation where the fill and vent pipes would be. Of course, any area of disturbed soil would be worth asking about. The owner may have removed the tank, but until there is an No Further Action letter in hand... the work is not complete.

But the best thing to do is pay for the tank sweep. State and municipal records should have the details about the tank, but sometimes you have to send in an Open Public Records Act request to gain access to these files and they may not be complete. Just make sure you research the tank sweep company and see what methods they use to locate the tank, i.e. metal detectors, ground penetrating radar, etc. The cost of the sweep, even if you were to go with a utility locating firm and pay ~$1,500 per day, is less than the cost of a tank removal ($1,800-$2,000) or a remediation (tens to hundreds of thousand of dollars).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey