Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 7,495 times

Advertisements

Hello,

It looks like we'll be moving to Kinnelon soon and I work in lower Manhattan. I know I can take the 194X bus to Port Authority and take the subway from there. So my questions are as follows:

1- Is there parking at the Northgate Road pickup location for Manhattan inbound?
2- If so, do you need to get a permit?
3- Is it worth it to drive into Parsippany or Wayne to take the train into Hoboken? What is traffic like at 7am and 6-7pm?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 12:07 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,136 times
nice to know the poster has no idea where South Jersey is.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,495 times
Not sure what that has to do with anything. I wasn't asking about south jersey.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:53 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesoap75 View Post
Not sure what that has to do with anything. I wasn't asking about south jersey.
This post is in the South Jersey forum, but belongs in the regular NJ forum.

A Kinnelon to NYC commute would probably take close to 2 hours each way.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:21 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,423 times
Quote:
Hello,

It looks like we'll be moving to Kinnelon soon and I work in lower Manhattan. I know I can take the 194X bus to Port Authority and take the subway from there. So my questions are as follows:

1- Is there parking at the Northgate Road pickup location for Manhattan inbound?
3- Is it worth it to drive into Parsippany or Wayne to take the train into Hoboken? What is traffic like at 7am and 6-7pm?

1) Parking at the Northgate? Not certain, but I don't think so.

2) See #1

3a) Drive to Parsippany? Not a good idea, in my opinion.

3b) Drive to Wayne? A better alternative, but not as good as the 194X.

3c) Your best bet is to pick up the 194X bus at Butler/Kinnelon/Meadtown shopping center. It's located a couple miles south on Route 23 at the junction of Route 23, Kinnelon Road, and Kiel Ave. Commuter parking there is free! (See link below)

3d) 7am is busy but traffic moves on 23 southbound with the lights.

3e) For some reason, evening rush hour on Route 23 northbound tends to start VERY early (3:30-ish) but also ends rather early. IMO, 6-7 pm is post-rush hour.

The 194X... and I stress the X, gets you into Manhattan in about 50 minutes. The 194 local can easily take 90 minutes-plus. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0194.pdf

You want to take the 194 bus from BUTLER (at the Kinnelon Meadtown Shopping Center) to New York City. Click the link and scroll down to the page that says 'To New York'. You will get on the bus at stop 17.

The times are listed. Try to catch an express bus with limited stops. Express buses stop at Meadtown on weekday mornings at 6:10, 6:25, 6:45, 7:00, and 7:20. The express bus gets you to the Port Authority in about an hour. The one-way fare is $11.00 unless you're over age 62, in which case it's only $5.00.

From the website... Fare Information: This is a full service line. The driver will make change. $1, $5, $10, $20 dollar bills & most coins are accepted. Drivers are not required to accept bills larger than a $20. Exact change is appreciated. Customers departing from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York MUST have a ticket or pass to board a bus.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:21 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,334 times
Quote:
Hello,

Maverick gave you excellent advice, the only thing I would add is with reference to your #3. There is no train station in Parsippany. If you want to take a train into Manhattan you could drive to Boonton and take the train to Newark and then transfer to a train into NYC, which takes about 85/90 min, and I am not sure there is any parking available in Boonton, or drive to Mt Lakes (again parking will be an issue) and take a midtown direct train, again it will take you ~85 min. There is a large Park & Ride lot in Parsippany which has several buses into the NYPA. To go to either Boonton or Mt Lakes from Kinnelon, there are several back roads that directly connect you where you will encounter some, but not bad, rush hour traffic, but you will hit delays with following school buses and parents dropping off kids at schools. (Boonton Twp kids go to HS in Mt. Lakes) The morning commute on 287 starts well before 7 am, and if you are leaving your home around 7 you'll hit the thick of it. You will not be into your office in Manhattan by 8:30 as just the train ride takes almost 1.5 hours and you have to add the time to get to the station and park first. NJ Transit's site has a very useful tool called "Trip Planner" you should take advantage of, New Jersey Transit Especially since there are relatively few trains into/out of Manhattan from/to either Boonton or Mt Lakes each day.

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey