Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:11 PM

20 posts, read 23,721 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for the replies! You have no idea how helpful it's been for my search!

We are looking for suburban with as little a commute as we can get. I don't want to live somewhere houses are so close to each other, but I don't need acres. Maybe 1/2 acre or so to have some yard for the girls. My biggest concern is getting into a good school district

Off topic but how are winters there?

Thanks everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
If he's working on Washington St. in JC near the PATH train than he may be better off taking NJ Transit to Newark or Hoboken station (depending on the train line) & switching to the PATH to JC.

Living on a NJ Train line that goes into Hoboken may make for a simpler commute. Hoboken is a much smaller station & easier to navigate & it also gives him the choice of changing to the PATH or Light Rail to JC.

New Jersey Transit - Home for train and bus info. Site has "service near a location" & "trip planner" functions that are very helpful.

Maps & Schedule - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ PATH train site.

New Jersey Transit Hudson Bergen Light Rail site.

Welcome to NJ.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise1622 View Post
Thank you all so much for the replies! You have no idea how helpful it's been for my search!

We are looking for suburban with as little a commute as we can get. I don't want to live somewhere houses are so close to each other, but I don't need acres. Maybe 1/2 acre or so to have some yard for the girls. My biggest concern is getting into a good school district

Off topic but how are winters there?

Thanks everyone!!!

Winters vary a lot. Last winter was brutal - constant snow. It's hard to predict. We usually get a few days in January that go down to around zero degrees, but that's not the norm. You just have to be prepared for weather that can go from zero in January to 100 degrees in summer, although those numbers are the outliers.

You will need winter coats, hats, scarves, mittens, etc. Best to dress in layers because it's cold outside, but when you go into a store or any building than the heat makes it warm, so you want to be able to peel off layers. You'll get used to it.

Have your kids ever seen snow?

Don't forget to buy a snow shovel & a scraper to clean the snow off the windows of the car, oh & don't forget to buy rock salt (unless you live in a development that provides it - ours does.)

Old 10-23-2014, 02:52 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Winters also vary by part of the state. When I moved to Middlesex from Bergen, the NYC stations would.call for 5-6 inches in the northern counties while we'd get ice or an inch. Last winter was one of the few that the entire state got walloped. Temps cold everywhere. Thanks Canada.

And OP, there are buses that go from towns like Old Bridge and East Brunswick to downtown JC. You generally get more bang for you buck the further south of JC you look.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Winters also vary by part of the state. When I moved to Middlesex from Bergen, the NYC stations would.call for 5-6 inches in the northern counties while we'd get ice or an inch. Last winter was one of the few that the entire state got walloped. Temps cold everywhere. Thanks Canada.

And OP, there are buses that go from towns like Old Bridge and East Brunswick to downtown JC. You generally get more bang for you buck the further south of JC you look.
Really wasn't bad up by me. One of those rare times that you got more snow south/east. We didn't get much at all.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:43 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Madison, Chatham, New Providence are the towns I'd consider. All are 35-40 min to Jersey City.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:01 PM

20 posts, read 23,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Madison, Chatham, New Providence are the towns I'd consider. All are 35-40 min to Jersey City.
Thank you! Are those neighborhoods as save as say going north towards Ridgewood, etc? All I have heard from friends of friends who use to live there is stay away from Newark and North is best, but no real details.

Also, oh boy! I have not fully thought through winter and all that I will need and prepare for. My brother lives in Lake Tahoe so the girls did experience snow for the first time last Christmas and they loved it!! But, boy, is it a lot of prep and work for us parents!!

My husband got a job offer with a 30K increase which is why we are considering moving. Is it even worth it?

Old 10-23-2014, 04:10 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
If you're in an expensive part of CA the cost of living won't be a shock. You'll need a car or two and insurance is high here. You'll pay a lot in property taxes but the good thing is that in the towns mentioned, you don't have to send your kids to private school. NJ public schools are consistently ranked in the top 3 by any measure.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:11 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Thank you! Are those neighborhoods as save as say going north towards Ridgewood, etc? All I have heard from friends of friends who use to live there is stay away from Newark and North is best, but no real details.

Also, oh boy! I have not fully thought through winter and all that I will need and prepare for. My brother lives in Lake Tahoe so the girls did experience snow for the first time last Christmas and they loved it!! But, boy, is it a lot of prep and work for us parents!!

My husband got a job offer with a 30K increase which is why we are considering moving. Is it even worth it?
They are very safe towns.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Lots to consider in cases like this. You'll like NJ & it will be fun for you all being close to Manhattan. Perhaps think of it as an adventure & a chance for you & the kids to explore the City.

Do you have family / friends here? What about the kids' grandparents, cousins, etc. Are you leaving all your family behind? If you're already living far from family than why not give it a try?

You could rent something in NJ & if things don't work out you can go back home. If hubby really thinks this is a great opportunity for him than he may resent it if you talk him out of it.

Have you discussed with hubby what options there are if you end up not being happy in NJ (although I think you will be.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey