Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,841 times

Advertisements

Hello

here is my dilemma .. unremoved garbage

to give you pretext I am in the process of a divorce and have taken on the responsibility of my homeless neice. plus some other things major stressors like irregular heart beat issues ...

so I moved to a ("premier" condo in an upscale area near Princeton -- on the ground floor 2 weeks ago so my neice 22yo can have her own room -- she was living in the living room

my new condo issues are erasing my last bit of sanity ..

As soon as I moved in the noise upstairs started. An older couple with dog shuffle their feet all day, wake up at 5 am then nap all day and go to sleep late - hardwood floors . My old condo was quiet as a mouse so it was jarring to wake up at 5 with them in this new place I paid more then double for. Okay I bought a sound machine and ear plugs -- problem somewhat solved

New problem -- GARBAGE rules not followed by residents - in front of my unit - garbage sits

The area directly in front of my door -a grass abutment (20 ft away) is used by the (5-6) neighbors to place their garbage bags which have to be black heavy duty. The first week someone uses a flimsy white bag so it is not picked up. It sits and sits in front of my unit like it is my garbage (note the assoc charges $50 fines) plus it looks like I as a new neigbor am causing this - I moved the garbage away me -- but my upstairs neighor (first contact) moves it back .. I talk to him but he seems ignorant of the rules, pooh poohs it and tells me not to lose sleep over it .. though he is quick to move the garbage away from his unit

I make 4-5 calls to management and send emails - getting wound up - before that garbage is finally removed the next week -- management leaves a note on everyone's door informing them of the sanitation policy - place garbage by their units curb and use black bags

Today - I walked out and al the garbage bags are in the same place I would not care if they were all removed .. but there is another white garbage bag which will be left over

.. I have to now see this garbage sit there everyday (next to rural area so rodents can come) or have to take my time to make calls again to corerect the problem sonmeone is callously causing for me. I feel the other residents dont care since it is not in front of them. but someone is breaking the rules and directly affecting me

I am ashamed to bring guests over who see the trash in front of my unit only.

What do I do?

Last edited by edseixas; 10-23-2014 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:41 AM

324 posts, read 574,827 times
Kind of a pain but you can try to watch and see who's doing it. Then ask them to switch to black bags. They may truly be ignorant. You could even provide them with a box of black bags. In the meantime you could throw their white bag inside of one of your black bags so it gets picked up.

Not ideal solutions, but you shouldn't be stressing so much over minor problems.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:59 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
In the meantime you could throw their white bag inside of one of your black bags so it gets picked up.

Excellent suggestion!

Old 10-23-2014, 10:31 AM

239 posts, read 379,321 times
Set up a sting and confront the people who are doing it.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:38 AM

113 posts, read 331,163 times
I would set up one of those small nanny or web cams in front of your ground floor window to see who's dumping those white bags. So you have evidence..and then you can confront the offending neighbor with it. Then you can move the white bag to the space in front of their unit. Or take evidence to building management..

Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Do you own or rent the condo? If you rent and other owner owns it is a harder fight to win.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
This doesn't make any sense. They won't pick up the garbage because it's in a white bag and not a black bag? Who picks up the garbage, the municipality or someone from the condo association? How long is the garbage staying out there before it gets picked up? Animals can break into black bags just as easy as a white kitchen bag.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:51 PM

54 posts, read 72,953 times
Do you live in Colonnade point? We have a community website and there are residents who have complained about that.... though our garbage area has been pretty tidy ever since I moved in (4 years ago).

Old 10-23-2014, 08:15 PM

??they only pick up black or brown heavy duty bags with twine

I did not make the rules

Old 10-23-2014, 08:17 PM

the manors

we have no garbage area - bags are supposed to be placed outside adjacent to units but the neighbors have been used to placing in one spot -- front of my unit because of an extended grass abutment

i am the new kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey