Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 08:04 PM

7 posts, read 42,429 times

Advertisements

hubby and i are thinking about purchasing a stove to heat our 3000 sq foot house. we just moved into our mullica hill home (again a 3000 sq foot, 18 year old newly renovated chalet-type home). Currently we have a electric heat pump and we are thinking about supplementing with either a wood stove or pellet stove. the problem is that we are city dwellers and have no idea what the difference is between the 2 or which one would be better to heat the size of our house.

any ideas on what or which one we should purchase??? what's the difference, etc etc.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Pellet stoves use pellets at about 5 bucks a bag at Walmart. They tend to burn cleaner.

Wood stoves are just what the name implies.

Heres a link of wood vs pellet

Wood stove vs pellet stove - Fireplaces Forum - GardenWeb

Old 02-29-2008, 05:29 AM

316 posts, read 1,248,689 times
Default pellet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIABABY01 View Post
hubby and i are thinking about purchasing a stove to heat our 3000 sq foot house. we just moved into our mullica hill home (again a 3000 sq foot, 18 year old newly renovated chalet-type home). Currently we have a electric heat pump and we are thinking about supplementing with either a wood stove or pellet stove. the problem is that we are city dwellers and have no idea what the difference is between the 2 or which one would be better to heat the size of our house.

any ideas on what or which one we should purchase??? what's the difference, etc etc.

thanks
OH my sister has a pellet stove . when i stayed at her house she showed me how it burns so hot. I think it can feeds itself pellets but i will call her to double check it.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:39 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Please check out Hearth.com - Information on Gas Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, Gas Logs, Pellet Stoves, Fireplaces, Chimneys and Hearth Products forum. These guys know everything about pellet stoves.

Do you have a gas hook up to the house???

I have done a lot of research and you will find that wood pellets are more expensive than a gas stove, at least here in Northern NJ.

However, if you don't have gas running to the house, next to gas,if you can find pellets are a reasonable price I believe they are very close in cost to gas. Best would be to have a few tons delivered in the fall or summer for the best price. Make sure you get the premium grade low ash pellets.

This program will give you an idea about prices:
Compare Fuel Costs (http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/compareFuel.cfm - broken link)

Wood is cheaper, but it is labor intensive. Both in storing, moving, cutting and loading. If you ENJOY it, then get a wood stove, but otherwise you will find it to be a chore.

Pellet and gas stove are both set it and forget it for the most part. Also Pellet and gas will both be able to Direct vent, this means a hole going directly out the wall (no big old chimney to install and maintain).

As for what kind of stove to buy, if you get a wood, there are so many valid brands, it comes down to looks. Same with pellets.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:30 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
I take care of about 40% of my heating needs with wood.

I don't mind doing the work, I could use the exercise...

Old 02-29-2008, 06:15 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I have had both.......First a Vermont Castings Wood stove. It fed from the top.......that was great for filling it right to the brim, so it could work all night.
When we got all our wood free......our heat for the entire winter was just "one" tank of oil...and that was for hot water also. It is tremendously nice heat. Ok, but the cutting and splitting is big work. The wood took 8 cords per winter.
Some years we paid for the wood, it was costly. Especially if it is split already.
Always having to clean the flue every month was a job. And using the brush from the roof in, was also a job.........can't be done in the snow either.
Ok then we got in another home and the pellet stove. I prefer it......but it is work also.
The bags are 40lbs. Each bag lasts about two days. The bags were heavy lugging up the stairs, Whew........
This stove gives equally good, warm, heat. It works on its own and will turn off when empty. It has a heat regulator. I would suggest getting one with a battery back up. Because when the electric goes off, so does the stove.
This must be cleaned once a week too. Then every two months or so, per your booklet instructions......the side must come off for a more through cleaning of the baffles.
The outside pipe must be vacumed.....yes, it will get sawdust in it......and you will wonder why your stove is not performing.
If you don't take off the side and clean the inner parts.......you will swear the pellets are not good and wind up trying all different brands. Believe me, its not the pellets......it is your stove needing cleaning.
If I had to choose one now........I'd choose the pellet. Its easier to run by and pick up the bags, or have a ton delivered for a certain price. They run nicely.Good hot heat.
I heated two stories of our home. The lower story was beyond reach. Those stories were about 1550 sq feet......I don't know how large of a stove you'd need to do all that area. Sure sounds to me like you'd almost need two. One in each area......because three thousand square feet is a lot.
I am surprised you have a electric heat pump system. From what I have read they are not good below 32 degrees. They are rarely in the northern climates.
Believe me I use to stack all eight cords, loved doing it.........but........as time goes on, you head for the " little bit easier"
For cleaning you will need the special vacume, or.........soot will go all over......yes, with the shop vac......it sure will.......I leaned the hard way.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIABABY01 View Post

thanks
Have you looked into that new "out house" type thing that's out now? It burns wood for up to 48 hrs before having to restoke and if you keep it burning, you will not even need your electric! It fulls your existing system - I'll see if I can find the info - they are a big hit out here in the "sticks".

Old 02-29-2008, 06:57 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Have you looked into that new "out house" type thing that's out now? It burns wood for up to 48 hrs before having to restoke and if you keep it burning, you will not even need your electric! It fulls your existing system - I'll see if I can find the info - they are a big hit out here in the "sticks".
centralboiler.com - this is the unit I mentioned : ))

Old 11-13-2008, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 8,746 times
i have a brand new stove which i planned to use as a passive source of heat.but it's too big for my smaller pitman house.i never even used it at all.if interested call 856-582-7346

Old 10-30-2014, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
i live in Woodbridge NJ and I am looking for someone to install a pellet stove, can anyone recommend somebody. we currently have nothing, and I would like one. I check Lowes and they have the stoves but don't install. please help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey