Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 857 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

The wife and I are moving from London to NY in January. We will be working in Midtown / Downtown and are looking for a neighbourhood near NY (we want to avoid the busy city and higher taxes). Our preferences:

- Budget: $2000 - $2500 per month
- Modern apartment (read 2 bed 1.5+ bath) with fitness rooms / gyms within or nearby
- 45-60 mins commute (by train)
- Parking: Prefer not to pay through the nose for charges
- Well resourced / self sufficient in terms of shops, restaurants
- Safe and pref with younger demographics. Not looking for Manhattan feel but not a sleepy town either
- Good schools potentially as we will start a family in a year or so
- Water body will be a great plus

Thank you in advance for your inputs. Much appreciated.

cheers
Ldn2NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 02:13 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Downtown Jersey City would be almost ideal for midtown/downtown commuters. I commute to midtown from downtown JC...takes about 45 min. door to door without racing like a lunatic. The downtown commute is shorter. There is also ferry service. You would like the Paulus Hook neighborhood as it has dining, access to the waterfront and easy access to the PATH train or ferries. I think you will be paying closer to the $2,500 to get a 2 BD. Most bldgs. include a fitness ctr. Liberty Towers just went through a massive renovation and added probably the best gym in the area, including spin classes.

A couple of links for apt communities in or near Paulus Hook...

Warren at York | Luxury Rentals in Jersey City

http://www.libertytowersapts.com/?me...Jersey+City+NJ

Rent Luxury Green Apartments | Madox | Downtown Jersey City, NJ 07302

There are many options in downtown....

Hoboken would also work for you. Which city has North Jersey's best downtown: Hoboken, Jersey City, Montclair or Morristown? | NJ.com

Old 10-27-2014, 05:45 PM

324 posts, read 574,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn2NY View Post
Hi Folks,
- Safe and pref with younger demographics. Not looking for Manhattan feel but not a sleepy town either
- Good schools potentially as we will start a family in a year or so
These two are somewhat contrary to each other. Why do you need good schools when you're renting and don't have children? You'll likely move by the time they are school age. By then you'll have a better feel for the area and what you want long term.

I'd also suggest Jersey City. I think you can meet your criteria except for good schools. You probably don't even need a car - they're expensive even before paying for parking.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:04 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Agree with JerseyStrong. Why commute when you don't have to? Live close to the City & rent for awhile. Get to know New Jersey by taking day trips on weekends. Familiarize yourself with the trains / buses & see what towns appeal to you & have good schools.

You probably don't know yet what kind of long hours you'll be working & you may regret having to commute an hour or more each way.

Welcome to NJ.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:31 AM

565 posts, read 722,044 times
I live in Hoboken and used to live in the waterfront area of Jersey City and although I love each areas, if your budget is $2000-$2500 and you want a "modern place" that isn't very urban, I wouldn't suggest either for you. Both Hoboken and Jersey city are very urban and densely populated and that price range is on the very low end of what it would take to rent here--guaranteeing a 3-5th floor walkup, no parking garage, and definitely no gym in the building. Elementary schools are okay, after that it gets slightly more questionable. There are a small handful of places on River Road in North Bergen and Edgewater that would be an easy commute to Midtown (via ferry or bus) that are modern, have a gym, close to shopping, and are in your price range. Half Moon Harbour Apartments-North-bergen | Property Floorplans I actually really like that area--beautiful trail/sidewalk area right on the river with a view of the city that is perfect for walks or jogs.

Since you are open to up to a 1 hour commute, there are tons of other places you can research that are on the train line that would have slightly cheaper 2 bedroom rentals: Montclair, Maplewood, Ridgewood, Westwood, Paramus. The first 4 are smaller but very nice towns with a sort-of "high street" or main street with local shops. The last, Paramus, is much larger but has tons of shopping and a lot of apartment choices/house rentals for a lower price.

I like the other poster's ideas of just renting for a year until you get a better feel for NJ. Welcome! Feel free to ask any other questions.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:46 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
why move here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey