Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 05:11 PM

110 posts, read 175,317 times

Advertisements

Serious question...is raising taxes a strategy of keeping the riff raff away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:04 PM

294 posts, read 242,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
Serious question...is raising taxes a strategy of keeping the riff raff away?
Uh ...no. Taxes in New Jersey are progressive, not flat. Therefore, the taxes are high disproportionately on the higher incomes. It's actually a great strategy for keeping the non-riff raff away. Which makes things worse, because you're attracting a lot of low- and middle-class people who are thrilled at all the social services New Jersey provides without having to pay a terribly high tax. This then burdens the system more, which leads those same people to vote for more funding for the services and throw the bill at the "rich."

P.S. Truth In Accounting just released its 2014 tax report on the states and New Jersey is the 48th worst state, only ahead of Illinois and Connecticut. The report is an analysis on the individual tax burden, meaning "how much would every citizen have to pay in order to repay all of the debt the state has." For New Jersey, it's $36,000.

http://www.truthinaccounting.org/lib...b/2013FSOS.pdf

If you want to look at New Jersey's specifics, it's on page 71. The state owes $135.4 billion, including $91.1 billion in pensions ($55.6 billion of which are unfunded).

Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 PM

216 posts, read 755,782 times
I don't understand this, someone please help. If most NJ residents hate high taxes, (I am not talking about state employee, unions etc), why they keep voting for democrats years after years in the state legislature?????? If people in NJ really want a change in tax policies, they need to change the polite systems from the top.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artking09 View Post
I don't understand this, someone please help. If most NJ residents hate high taxes, (I am not talking about state employee, unions etc), why they keep voting for democrats years after years in the state legislature?????? If people in NJ really want a change in tax policies, they need to change the polite systems from the top.
Because it's a progressive tax rate. So you're voting for someone else to pay the taxes. If you make, say, $70,000/year New Jersey is actually a relatively low taxed state. Now, as a result, the only thing left to tax is property, but I think you'd rather pay higher property taxes and lower income taxes. It's less money out of your pocket and most people don't own the gigantic mansions that really get hit hard.

The biggest problem New Jersey -- and most states -- face is the lifetime of pensions and benefits they owe state employees. That's also why it's basically a racket to get a teaching position in New Jersey, probably (I'm going solely on what people said in the other thread) because once you're in, you're basically set for life. At some point, that's going to come due, but there's no reason any of them would vote for anyone who would reform the system at all. Therefore, you're just stuck with a permanent Democrat structure. It's basically a vote-buying process.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:38 PM

216 posts, read 755,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
Because it's a progressive tax rate. So you're voting for someone else to pay the taxes. If you make, say, $70,000/year New Jersey is actually a relatively low taxed state. Now, as a result, the only thing left to tax is property, but I think you'd rather pay higher property taxes and lower income taxes. It's less money out of your pocket and most people don't own the gigantic mansions that really get hit hard.

The biggest problem New Jersey -- and most states -- face is the lifetime of pensions and benefits they owe state employees. That's also why it's basically a racket to get a teaching position in New Jersey, probably (I'm going solely on what people said in the other thread) because once you're in, you're basically set for life. At some point, that's going to come due, but there's no reason any of them would vote for anyone who would reform the system at all. Therefore, you're just stuck with a permanent Democrat structure. It's basically a vote-buying process.
So what you say is that essentially the "poor" along with the democrats are bleeding the "rich"? But I can feel a lot people complaining here are not "rich" by any means, this system is bleeding the "middle working class" too.

Also, many southern states have progressive tax rates too, NC, SC, GA, why they don't these states have this "Democratic State" problem?

Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
So what you say is that essentially the "poor" along with the democrats are bleeding the "rich"? But I can feel a lot people complaining here are not "rich" by any means, this system is bleeding the "middle working class" too.
Sure, but keep in mind that a lot of the "middle working class" you're talking about is benefitting from the state. For example, most of the teachers and cops and union guys are part of that middle class. But it's fine because they're not getting the brunt of the tax hit and, anyways, the benefit of a free lifetime pension with full benefits is way worth it. Do the math.

Quote:
Also, many southern states have progressive tax rates too, NC, SC, GA, why they don't these states have this "Democratic State" problem?
This is just a random guess, but I think it's mostly due to the fact that a lot of southern states don't have the same urban-rural makeup as New Jersey. I've personally always wondered how PA has a flat tax when it's an overall Democrat state and how it functions (although, the pensions in Philadelphia are also crippling the city).

Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:

It's just Republican rhetoric. Don't try to make sense of it.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
It's just Republican rhetoric. Don't try to make sense of it.
Yeah, just listen to him, he's handing out money, so it's all good.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:18 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
Yeah, just listen to him, he's handing out money, so it's all good.
I'm talking about the structural make up of this state (ie: Home Rule) & how it forces municipalities to charge an exorbitant amount of property taxes. Property taxes are the real killer in NJ.
You, on the other hand, just want to regurgitate a Fox News talking point.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I'm talking about the structural make up of this state (ie: Home Rule) & how it forces municipalities to charge an exorbitant amount of property taxes. Property taxes are the real killer in NJ.
You, on the other hand, just want to regurgitate a Fox News talking point.
Property taxes are viewed as "the killer" because for middle- and lower-class people the income tax in New Jersey is no big shakes. In other words, people in a Democrat state are upset because they have to pay taxes when they usually try to have "rich" people pay it.

By the way, I don't disagree with your points on home rule, as they merely reinforce my point. If you're duplicating services, that leads to duplicate pensions, salaries, and benefits for public servants, all of which need to be paid for. That being said, my point about New Jersey's taxes stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey