U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,287 times

Advertisements

Both my parents passed away last year leaving an estate with no money. The house they lived in had a reverse mortgage (all equity borrowed) and pass due property taxes and maintenance fees. The house is now going into foreclosure and I as the executrix informed the bank that I have no interest in the property.

I then received a letter from lawyers representing the housing association asking me to sign a Quit Claim Deed. How can I do this when this property will not be going into my ownership? Will all liens be paid when house is auctioned?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 04:59 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,148,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti R13 View Post
Both my parents passed away last year leaving an estate with no money. The house they lived in had a reverse mortgage (all equity borrowed) and pass due property taxes and maintenance fees. The house is now going into foreclosure and I as the executrix informed the bank that I have no interest in the property.

I then received a letter from lawyers representing the housing association asking me to sign a Quit Claim Deed. How can I do this when this property will not be going into my ownership? Will all liens be paid when house is auctioned?

You need to speak to a lawyer.

Normally when there is a reverse mortgage, the house is sold when the last surviving spouse passes away.

The sale of the house is supposed to be used to pay back the reverse mortgage.

You need to speak to a lawyer ASAP.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:29 PM

9,988 posts, read 17,073,297 times
A Quit Claim deed is where you transfer your interest in the property but you don't promise that you actually have such interest. In this case there's probably some subtlety about whether you're deeding it over personally or as the executor of the estate. I don't see why you should sign in either case; once either the mortgage company or the housing association forecloses, the estate's interest is gone anyway.

If you did sign the deed as the executor of the estate, the housing association would then own the house.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:43 PM

3,244 posts, read 4,806,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
You need to speak to a lawyer.
What? And pass up the wisdom of C-D members?

Old 11-06-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
what? And pass up the wisdom of c-d members?

rofl

Old 11-07-2014, 06:54 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,013,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
What? And pass up the wisdom of C-D members?
Exactly!
Why would somebody want to consult with a certified professional regarding a potentially life-changing event when advice from anonymous, disinterested, and mostly unqualified people is available via the internet!

Old 11-07-2014, 07:23 AM

30,132 posts, read 29,816,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Exactly!
Why would somebody want to consult with a certified professional regarding a potentially life-changing event when advice from anonymous, disinterested, and mostly unqualified people is available via the internet!

You're not giving us much credit, Retriever. Daliowa told her to speak to a lawyer. That's invaluable information.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:42 AM

1,519 posts, read 3,938,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti R13 View Post

Hi Patti,

Sorry to hear about your losing both parents in one year. That's gotta be tough.

Yes, although some of the earlier suggestions may be unnecessarily harsh, step one is to speak with a competent lawyer. A lawyer should explain how you now are wearing multiple hats legally.

One hat involves your own personal financial matters. The good news is that you have no personal responsibility to pay your parents' debts. You write that YOU (personally) have no interest in your parents' house. That's fine, but you the executrix still need to settle this.

And that's the second hat — you as executrix of your parents' estate. You've agreed to accept the responsibility of settling your parents' final financial matters. You now represent your parents, hence, you have the power as executrix to sign over the house — just like your parents could do if they were not deceased.

Since you have no desire to keep the house and you say there is no equity remaining, why drag this out through long court proceedings of foreclosure? Just contact the bank and offer to sign the house over to them as Daughter Doe, Executrix.

I found it a little peculiar that the housing association asked for a Quit Claim Deed. Seems to me like it would be more appropriate for you to give the deed to the lender as a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure. This is why you need to speak to an attorney who can assess your situation and advise you accordingly.

I hope this helps, and good luck getting this settled promptly so you can more forward unencumbered with this burden.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:56 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,013,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You're not giving us much credit, Retriever. Daliowa told her to speak to a lawyer. That's invaluable information.
Daliowa's advice--as usual--was very good.
I was responding to bigjake's comment, which was actually right on target.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Daliowa's advice--as usual--was very good.
I was responding to bigjake's comment, which was actually right on target.

I'm blushing.

One thing I don't understand is why the OP (as executrix) didn't sell the house immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey