Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 04:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,993 times

Advertisements

I am moving from India to New York in early Dec with my wife and 2.9yrs old daughter. I will be working near 11 Madison Avenue in Manhattan. As I dont want to buy the car, I am planning to stay in Jersey city.

Would appreciate if i can get some advise on below:

1) My daughter will turn 3 in April 2015. She is eligible for playgroup? If yes, when does session starts? Can we please suggest some school names in Jersey City?

2) Except craiglist, which websites are useful/reliable to search for an apartment? I am looking for 1BR within a range of $1500. I would prefer to get the apartment without broker.

3) I plan to move to NY on 15 Dec. Will that be a problem in getting an apartment. Is there any norm that apartments will be availble only from 1st of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 06:24 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Where are you moving? NY or NJ? That would get your questions answered accurately.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:57 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
request to join the Yahoo email group "hobokenmoms". they have a wealth of information on preschools and daycares in jersey city and hoboken area. you'll have plenty of options.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:20 AM

24 posts, read 34,501 times
There's also Newportmommy (NewportMommy - Connecting over 3400 families!)

Your daughter is eligible for free pre-school living in Jersey City (Abbott program). You should call the school district to figure out how to get her registered late because registration for the year is over (Jersey City Public Schools).

Zillow also has rentals listed. The most expensive neighborhoods are downtown Jersey City, Newport/waterfront-I haven't checked lately but I think your budget is too low for them at this point. Journal Square and the Heights are cheaper but in the latter, you will have a 2 step trip (bus to subway or lightrail to path). Stay out of Bergen Lafayette and Greenville, they are still very block-to-block in terms of safety.

Good luck with your search and welcome to Jersey City.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:17 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrey View Post
I am moving from India to New York in early Dec with my wife and 2.9yrs old daughter. I will be working near 11 Madison Avenue in Manhattan. As I dont want to buy the car, I am planning to stay in Jersey city.

Would appreciate if i can get some advise on below:

1) My daughter will turn 3 in April 2015. She is eligible for playgroup? If yes, when does session starts? Can we please suggest some school names in Jersey City?

2) Except craiglist, which websites are useful/reliable to search for an apartment? I am looking for 1BR within a range of $1500. I would prefer to get the apartment without broker.

3) I plan to move to NY on 15 Dec. Will that be a problem in getting an apartment. Is there any norm that apartments will be availble only from 1st of the month.

You'll find it difficult to rent a one-bedroom since you have a child. It's not likely that a landlord will rent anything less than a two-bedroom to you. Your rental budget is quite low for New Jersey.

It's not easy to live in NJ without a car.

If you'll still be living here when your child starts kindergarten than you should look outside of Hudson County for good school districts.

Welcome to NJ.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,993 times
Thanks. I am exploring an option to fly either on 1st Dec or 15th Dec. My company will be providing me initial 15 day stay. My confusion is.
1. If i fly on 1st, would it be difficult to rent an apartment from mid month?
2. If I fly on 15th, can holiday season impact my house hunt?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:04 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,348 times
Assuming you are from India and do not have US ties previously, your bigger issue will be getting anyone to rent to you. Someone may take a chance but that is because they have trouble filling vacancy which usually means undesirable area, crappy apt. To combat this, I would come prepared with full years rent upfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey