Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 03:03 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,342 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to share how surprisingly easy it was to get an Uber ride in Bergen county. Now, I've used Uber in NYC but I never thought about using it in my small town. I didn't even think the service would exist.

Usually it's stressful having to think about having a glass or 2 of wine with dinner and driving back home. In the past, for similar rides I've been quoted $20-$25 from Glen Rock to Ridgewoood (literally, right next door!).

Well turned on my Uber app and there they were--- 4 cars in the general area (none more than 10 minutes away). GPS showed me exactly where they were so I didn't have to freeze by butt off waiting for the ride and voila, there he was. Had to pick up one more couple on the way. 10 minutes later we were at our destination..all for $5.66! Same experience (different driver) on the leg back.

No brainer. No stress. Highly recommend the process and experience. Next time I'll try going farther, like Ramsey (about 10 miles), where I've been quoted $55 one-way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 03:10 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
Just wanted to share how surprisingly easy it was to get an Uber ride in Bergen county. Now, I've used Uber in NYC but I never thought about using it in my small town. I didn't even think the service would exist.

Usually it's stressful having to think about having a glass or 2 of wine with dinner and driving back home. In the past, for similar rides I've been quoted $20-$25 from Glen Rock to Ridgewoood (literally, right next door!).

Well turned on my Uber app and there they were--- 4 cars in the general area (none more than 10 minutes away). GPS showed me exactly where they were so I didn't have to freeze by butt off waiting for the ride and voila, there he was. Had to pick up one more couple on the way. 10 minutes later we were at our destination..all for $5.66! Same experience (different driver) on the leg back.

No brainer. No stress. Highly recommend the process and experience. Next time I'll try going farther, like Ramsey (about 10 miles), where I've been quoted $55 one-way.
Uber is definitely awesome in NJ , especially in Bergen County where everything is super close together. $1.25 + $.18 per minute + $1.10/mile. only challenge I have had is when drivers accept the fare and then take forever to get their butts out of their house. A 1.5 hour 26 mile trip, during rush hour, from Wayne to Tenafly cost me $65! A 12 mile trip from Wayne to Clifton during rush hour took 25 minutes and cost $26... I would assume Ramsey will cost you $20.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 11-10-2014 at 03:26 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Uber is definitely awesome in NJ , especially in Bergen County where everything is super close together. $1.25 + $.18 per minute + $1.10/mile. only challenge I have had is when drivers accept the fare and then take forever to get their butts out of their house. A 1.5 hour 26 mile trip, during rush hour, from Wayne to Tenafly cost me $65! A 12 mile trip from Wayne to Clifton during rush hour took 25 minutes and cost $26... I would assume Ramsey will cost you $20.
Oh good to know they have a quoted rate.

Regarding the time it takes for them to get their 'butt' out to get to you, isnt the time quoted on the app usually pretty accurate. I mean so far anytime I'm quoted "approximate time of arrivals" it's been pretty close to actual arrival time.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
we took an uber in freehold to get to my brother's wedding. the guy took a while to pick us up, he blamed the gps taking him to the wrong place. but of course its a better experience to have uber than call a car service. i don't use car services much so im not sure how pricing compares.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:50 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,241 times
I use uber in NJ all the time

Old 11-10-2014, 06:58 PM

550 posts, read 965,729 times
Taking Uber from Livingston to Newark Airport door-to-door is $25.

I used it a total of three times in the past week. Once within NJ, once in Miami and once from Queens to NJ.

It's a no-brainer of a choice.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:22 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Quote:
Oh good to know they have a quoted rate.

Regarding the time it takes for them to get their 'butt' out to get to you, isnt the time quoted on the app usually pretty accurate. I mean so far anytime I'm quoted "approximate time of arrivals" it's been pretty close to actual arrival time.
It's accurate if they are actually driving when they accept the call. Sometimes they'll be at home. The gps just calculates the distance from the car/phone to your house(just like google maps would). You can literally watch the car just sit there. Now you can hit them with a bad rating for making you wait but I usually don't.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
It's accurate if they are actually driving when they accept the call. Sometimes they'll be at home. The gps just calculates the distance from the car/phone to your house(just like google maps would). You can literally watch the car just sit there. Now you can hit them with a bad rating for making you wait but I usually don't.
tdstyles, you're way ahead of the curve, good tips. Speaking of, the one thing that I wasn't crazy about was the fact that they rate you! I guess I can understand it to some extent but I did feel like I needed to be somewhat cautious of what I said to my friends.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:01 PM

550 posts, read 965,729 times
Quote:
tdstyles, you're way ahead of the curve, good tips. Speaking of, the one thing that I wasn't crazy about was the fact that they rate you! I guess I can understand it to some extent but I did feel like I needed to be somewhat cautious of what I said to my friends.
I think the fact that the driver can rate you and vice-versa is awesome.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:52 PM

188 posts, read 414,446 times
I took Uber for the first time last weekend and was impressed. I went from Weehawken to New Milford for $25 each way. Not bad considering they have to deal with Route 4 traffic (I did have two drivers decline on the way home though). A bus would have taken 1.5 hours, if running on time. Taking the train would have made me go down to Hoboken and then up to River Edge, probably around an hour. Definitely worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey