Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:32 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by englandjc View Post
Sounds like I will need a real variety in my wardrobe! Snow causes havoc in England, the country does not know how to deal with it. I hope New Jersey is better prepared!

We're not as prepared as other parts of the U.S., i.e. Buffalo, NY. <g>

Start practicing digging your car out of a large snow drift. LOL

Last winter was rough. It snowed constantly. Who knows what this winter will bring? Some winters we get almost no snow. Just have to wait & see.

You'll have to get used to fahrenheit temperature readings. Although the BBC news channel on cable TV gives their readings in celsius !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 06:40 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
And if you live in a place with only 1 parking spot and you dig your car out of the snow, you "keep" your spot with an old folding chair or garbage can. Stealing a "taken" spot that a neighbor has dug out could get you an ass kicking.

And don't ask people for ****.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
And if you live in a place with only 1 parking spot and you dig your car out of the snow, you "keep" your spot with an old folding chair or garbage can. Stealing a "taken" spot that a neighbor has dug out could get you an ass kicking.

And don't ask people for ****.

Unless you're looking for one. <g> Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yes, the OP will have to learn "American English." And, learn to love baseball.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:02 AM

11 posts, read 11,071 times
I would not be asking for any kind of *** ha. I understand that difference already. Hopefully their a some pretty single girls around!

Digging snow out will not be a welcome addition to my morning. I am bad enough in the morning in the first place, but I suppose I'd have no choice!

As for the sports, I've found an adult sports club that could be interesting and they play soccer! I can't imagine baseball would be my thing, but I'd look forward to going to a basketball, football and ice hockey game and seeing which I enjoy the most! I do feel I need to adopt a love for one sports team at least!

Getting used to the differences in terminology such as celsius and fahrenheit, KM or Miles will hopefully just come in time!

I had another good chat on Friday, It seems an offer will be made (I may or may not have a chat with the owner first). I did think that given the past weeks progress I may be looking at a new year move but having looked further into the joys of getting a visa, it seems a lengthier process than I imagined! Seems that alone could take months.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:09 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
And, learn to love baseball.

This is one instance where I am going to disagree with daliowa.
If I--as a US-born and bred person--don't love baseball...Why would the OP need to do so?

Old 11-16-2014, 04:42 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Englandjc, as your research has shown you, the Morristown area it sounds like it ticks off all the boxes on your wish lists. As someone who has lived in the area for years I wanted to add some information you likely have not come across on this forum. In the greater Morristown area there are quite a few HQ's for multinational companies, including several from the UK. These multinational corporations often bring many employees from their "home base" so you will not be the only ex-pat around. There are some wonderful Soccer/football clubs and leagues in the area, so you will not have to miss out on participating in or watching some footy whilst in the US. Heck, we even have a couple of tea rooms offering a proper high tea, should you become homesick and need a fix. There is more than one pub where you can find decent bangers and mashed as well as fish and chips. The Morristown area has a plethora of diverse restaurants, so you will also find almost any ethnic cuisine you are used to enjoying in the UK. (though having spent a good bit of time in the UK, I am still searching for a good meatpie, the closest thing I can find is great empanada, but sadly, they are just not the same)

I do have to caution you that Morris County does not have mass transit geared for local commuting, it is more geared for those who live here and commute into the local business centers of NYC, Newark, Jersey City, etc. Meaning you will most likely have to have a car - so figure that into your budget.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 11-16-2014, 05:48 PM

527 posts, read 708,863 times
New Jersey is among the most expensive places to live in the United States, although cost of living is still overall cheaper than the UK, especially prices of consumer goods. For example sales tax is 7% (3.5% in some cities) in NJ (0% of shoes and clothing).

Most renting places includes water fee, and some also include utilities and/or heating. Every place is different so check out numerous apartments before you decide with one. If you won't have a car, (which I recommend) try to live close to NJTransit bus and centrally located as possible.

Most medium-sized and large companies offer at least 3 weeks of paid vacation, sick days, personal days, etc. for first year, and then may increase to 4-5 weeks after few years. Small companies tend to offer 2 weeks of paid vacation (+ paid holidays and sick days). My friend from the UK actually got more total days off in the US and in the UK despite no statutory law.

Major holidays off include New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving/Black Friday, Christmas Day. Many also give off on Good Friday, and perhaps on 1 or 2 other holidays. There are many 3 day weekends here.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
This is one instance where I am going to disagree with daliowa.
If I--as a US-born and bred person--don't love baseball...Why would the OP need to do so?

Because it's a wonderful game to watch on a lazy, hot summer night.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:43 AM

11 posts, read 11,071 times
Koala and Vacationmaction, brilliant thanks. Lots of useful stuff in there. Food I am sure will be fine, and I am going to hope for 3 week annual leave!

My only doubt now having looked in to Morristown some more is whether or not I will be able to afford to live there!

1 beds seems to be going for somewhere in the region of $1500 to $1900.

Worst case scenario (i.e rent includes nothing else), Anybody have any idea of approximate costs for one person per month for these?

Water -

Gas (the home kind) -

Electric -

Heating (may be within Gas or Electric???) -

Cellphone (contract) -

Broadband (internet) -

Food -

Car Leasing - Approx. $300

Gas (the car kind - petrol) - A US gallon (3.71l) would cost approx. $7.52 in the UK. My research suggests around $3 a gallon in NJ so around $60 a month would get me the 15 mile to work and back I imagine. (My UK commutes around the same distance). Does this sound fair?

Gym membership -

Cable (would you recommend this, I don't know what your standard TV is like) -

I know I am being a real pain in everyone's arse (ass) but since you have absolutely no obligation to reply I genuinely thank you all a lot for doing so, either if you have already or do to these further questions!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:24 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englandjc View Post
Koala and Vacationmaction, brilliant thanks. Lots of useful stuff in there. Food I am sure will be fine, and I am going to hope for 3 week annual leave!

My only doubt now having looked in to Morristown some more is whether or not I will be able to afford to live there!

1 beds seems to be going for somewhere in the region of $1500 to $1900.

Worst case scenario (i.e rent includes nothing else), Anybody have any idea of approximate costs for one person per month for these?

Water -

Gas (the home kind) -

Electric -

Heating (may be within Gas or Electric???) -

Cellphone (contract) -

Broadband (internet) -

Food -

Car Leasing - Approx. $300

Gas (the car kind - petrol) - A US gallon (3.71l) would cost approx. $7.52 in the UK. My research suggests around $3 a gallon in NJ so around $60 a month would get me the 15 mile to work and back I imagine. (My UK commutes around the same distance). Does this sound fair?

Gym membership -

Cable (would you recommend this, I don't know what your standard TV is like) -

I know I am being a real pain in everyone's arse (ass) but since you have absolutely no obligation to reply I genuinely thank you all a lot for doing so, either if you have already or do to these further questions!
Water - almost always included in a rental, but if not $50 every 3 months for an apt.

Gas and Electric: $150 ( if it's gas heat and gas is included in rent could be less)

Cellphone (contract) - $100/month. some employers cover this, good to ask

Broadband (internet) - $40-$50/month

Food - too many variables but will be equal too or less than whatever you spend now

Car Leasing - Approx. $300, yup. You can get a 2015 BMW 3 series for that( with a decent down payment)

Gas (the car kind - petrol) - A US gallon (3.71l) would cost approx. $7.52 in the UK. My research suggests around $3 a gallon in NJ so around $60 a month would get me the 15 mile to work and back I imagine. (My UK commutes around the same distance). Does this sound fair? Yup

Gym membership - $30-$100/month depending on gym.

Cable (would you recommend this, I don't know what your standard TV is like) - Standard TV is good if you can get reception with an indoor antenna, not always possible with an apartment. $90/month. Can do bundles with cable and internet for almost same price($90-$100/month total for both).

You also may want to look at sharing an apartment. It's quite common here. Your money will go a lot farther and is a good way to meet people. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/sear...ery=morristown . Probably better to wait until you get here to start looking for that though since there are some scammers on c-list that try and take advantage of people. demanding cash deposits for places that don't exist, etc...not a ton but they are out there.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 11-17-2014 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey