Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2006, 07:19 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No, no one plans for that. But if they cannot afford their house now because of their circumstances, they have the option to sell their house and buy a less expensive one.
Which, according to the post is exactly what they are being forced to do.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:35 PM

88 posts, read 386,539 times
Sorry to revive this post..

Read..

//www.city-data.com/forum/delaw...es-toxins.html

That's how far "low taxes" get you... crime and pollution..

How does the higher taxes in NJ sound to you now?

Old 11-16-2006, 08:48 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPKull View Post
Sorry to revive this post..

Read..

//www.city-data.com/forum/delaw...es-toxins.html

That's how far "low taxes" get you... crime and pollution..

How does the higher taxes in NJ sound to you now?

And for high taxes in NJ, you also get plenty of pollution.

http://www.njpirg.org/nj.asp?id2=4485&id3=nj& (broken link)

Old 11-17-2006, 07:23 AM

202 posts, read 992,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
And for high taxes in NJ, you also get plenty of pollution.

http://www.njpirg.org/nj.asp?id2=4485&id3=nj& (broken link)

Yeah, seriously Ryan, that's just a horrible example. NJ is the most polluted state in the entire country.

For a more quantitative comparison of property taxes by county, take a look at this study:
http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/1888.html (broken link)

NJ counties have the 9 of the top 14 highest property taxes in the country, and 13 of the top 20. 13 of the top 20!!!

Now compare that to the median income column. And here's a comparison that is easy to spot. Of those 13 NJ counties that are in the top 20 for property taxes, only two of them have median incomes above $100,000. Easy to see right? Also look at the tax-to-income ratio: NJ counties seem to be in the 6% to 8% range.

Now scroll down the list and look at all the other non-NJ counties that have median incomes above $100,000. Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria City, Lodoun in VA. Santa Clara in CA. Howard and Montgomery in MD. All these other counties have tax-to-income ratios in the 3% range, with the exception of Westchester County, NY.

No doubt these other areas have rich people and are no doubt nice places to live with no crime and good schools. How do they get away with having taxes with half the load of NJ property taxes?

I can't believe anyone is actually trying to defend the fact that NJ has ridiculous property taxes. And from looking at this chart, it seems NY has a property tax problem as well, but maybe not as bad NJ.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:39 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,623,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post
Yeah, seriously Ryan, that's just a horrible example. NJ is the most polluted state in the entire country.

For a more quantitative comparison of property taxes by county, take a look at this study:
http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/1888.html (broken link)

NJ counties have the 9 of the top 14 highest property taxes in the country, and 13 of the top 20. 13 of the top 20!!!

Now compare that to the median income column. And here's a comparison that is easy to spot. Of those 13 NJ counties that are in the top 20 for property taxes, only two of them have median incomes above $100,000. Easy to see right? Also look at the tax-to-income ratio: NJ counties seem to be in the 6% to 8% range.

Now scroll down the list and look at all the other non-NJ counties that have median incomes above $100,000. Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria City, Lodoun in VA. Santa Clara in CA. Howard and Montgomery in MD. All these other counties have tax-to-income ratios in the 3% range, with the exception of Westchester County, NY.

No doubt these other areas have rich people and are no doubt nice places to live with no crime and good schools. How do they get away with having taxes with half the load of NJ property taxes?

I can't believe anyone is actually trying to defend the fact that NJ has ridiculous property taxes. And from looking at this chart, it seems NY has a property tax problem as well, but maybe not as bad NJ.

You forgot the fact that John Corzine is going to make it all better!

Old 11-17-2006, 07:43 AM

467 posts, read 1,488,814 times
Smile N.J. taxes

Oh yeah, Jon Corzine and Menendez will make it all better.....DREAM ON

Old 11-17-2006, 09:01 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,483 times
Quote:
I am not defending NJ taxes - I pay them too and wish they were half of what I am paying. But while NJ taxes are twice the national average so are NJ schools.

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2006 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: quote fixed

Old 11-17-2006, 11:45 AM

88 posts, read 386,539 times
my point is basically is... If you look at every forum around the US. People are complaining about something. For every bad quality NJ has, there is a bad or even worse quality another state has.

Yes, I know that post came off wrong, but my general point was the statement above. Every state has something bad about it. Some more and less than others.. It all evens out.

So to trash the state, I do not think it's right.
I think we have a great state, a lot of kinks need to be worked out, but overall people are happy and do not want to move out of the state. If people were fleeing the state by the truckload, then I could see myself sitting back and reassesing my outlook on things. It just does not seem to be as bad as what some people say...

Old 11-17-2006, 12:07 PM

202 posts, read 992,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPKull View Post
So to trash the state, I do not think it's right.
I think we have a great state, a lot of kinks need to be worked out, but overall people are happy and do not want to move out of the state. If people were fleeing the state by the truckload, then I could see myself sitting back and reassesing my outlook on things. It just does not seem to be as bad as what some people say...

I think many of the people "trashing" NJ are actually just people who are frustrated by the cost of living (mostly inflated house prices and inflated property taxes). Many of them even mention that they love NJ and wish they could stay, it's just too expensive for them to do so.

Expressing frustration is much different than "trashing". If something needs to be fixed in NJ, we should be talking about it and complaining about it. Otherwise, it will never get fixed.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:54 PM

986 posts, read 2,807,705 times
NJ will never be fixed, it is just way to corrupt. I love this state I do not like hearing people "trash" it. I am born and raised here. But it is time to move on.Our cost of living is getting so high. My husband makes a fairly good salary and we live well within our means but we never feel like we are getting ahead. I will be back to visit, alot of my family still lives here. I will really miss the Jersey shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey