U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2006, 01:29 PM
 
317 posts, read 1,189,808 times
Reputation: 167

Advertisements

I am leaving NJ, not because I want to, but because I can no longer afford to live here. I have been lucky enough to receive alot of good feedback from other state forums that I am considering moving to, so I thought I would share what "the state of affairs" is currently in NJ, FROM MY PERSPECTIVE ONLY.

NJ is beautiful. The beaches, the mountains, and the horsecountry. For those folks who were born and bred here through generation and generation, there is a strong family bond that keeps one living here or coming back. If you are fortunate to have a great job in NYC or in the Pharmceutial industry -- you're golden. If you are in high-tech, your in for a rough time as many of the technology giants have left town or gone out of business. The schools are also top notch.

On the downside, anyone who makes less than 100K has a very difficult time keeping up with the ever increasing cost of living here. 100K is peanuts here if you want to raise a family in a good area. NJ is the most densly populated state in the nation, has the dirtiest water and air in the nation, and has one of the highest cancer rates in the nation. It should also be no surprise to anyone, that we are, embarrassingly, probably one, if not "the" most corrupt state in the nation (read Jim McGrevy's book-- for the political insight). We also have the highest car insurance rates and the highest medical coverage rates. We have lots of crime too -- big time crime -- altho it tends to be in confined towns such as Newark, Camden, Asbury Park, Long Branch, etc. Our winters are harsh! My heating bills are $1000 a month in the winter.

I am leaving not because I want to. I was an executive with a very good job, and I have been laid off (for the 3rd time) as I am in high tech - and as a single parent with a salary over 150K...I was struggling to keep up!

The last thing I wanted to do was take my 10 year old son away from his friends...but I cannot imagine how I could do any better and keep up floating, given the ever increasing .......of, it seems, just about anything and everything that it takes to live here.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-02-2006, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Toms River, NJ
38 posts, read 260,396 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
I
Our winters are harsh! My heating bills are $1000 a month in the winter.
Something wrong with the interior of the house? $1,000 a month?!??! We kept the heat on a lot last winter - way too much, actually - and still didn't pay $1,000 for the entire winter. On top of that, our heating company has been issuing refunds for the last few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
I am leaving not because I want to. I was an executive with a very good job, and I have been laid off (for the 3rd time) as I am in high tech - and as a single parent with a salary over 150K...I was struggling to keep up!
Where do you live? If we were making $150,000 a year, we sure as heck wouldn't be struggling to keep up; we'd be doing happy dances every night. We survive in a nice area of NJ with barely more then half of what you make.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Southern New Jersey
88 posts, read 374,760 times
Reputation: 34
Sorry to get personal,

But where in NJ do you live? I do not know your situation, but if you make 150k per year and struggle... Why is it that people make 50k per year and live here well off? Again, I do not mean to offend you. Maybe I can help you think things over before packing up and leaving.


Ryan P. Kull
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-02-2006, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Southern New Jersey
88 posts, read 374,760 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by yclept View Post
Something wrong with the interior of the house? $1,000 a month?!??! We kept the heat on a lot last winter - way too much, actually - and still didn't pay $1,000 for the entire winter. On top of that, our heating company has been issuing refunds for the last few months.



Where do you live? If we were making $150,000 a year, we sure as heck wouldn't be struggling to keep up; we'd be doing happy dances every night. We survive in a nice area of NJ with barely more then half of what you make.


Sorry, we posted at the same time!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-02-2006, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Toms River, NJ
38 posts, read 260,396 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPKull View Post
Sorry, we posted at the same time!
No need to be sorry. I was shocked to see that someone could make that much money and struggle anywhere, including NJ As they say, sometimes it's not about the salary; it's about what you spend. If you are a spender, it's not going to matter if you make $25K or $250K...you are going to spend as much as you can, related to salary.

Not making judgements on the original poster; there could be circumstances that weren't included in her post. But monthly winter bills of $1,000 would force me to sleep with icicles coming down my face.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-02-2006, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ
68 posts, read 188,356 times
Reputation: 51
Actually, I am not at all surprised by the original posters points. I am in a similar boat. My husband and I make close to $200K a year and, while we aren't broke, it is a struggle to live in NJ. I have finally started to question whether this struggle is even worth it for the "privilege" of living in NJ.

We do not live extravagantly either. We both drive old used cars and rarely take vacations. We clip coupons and are not real spenders.

However, we have an infant son and spend about $2,000 a month on a nanny. Daycare would be about half that but this is our "luxury" because we were not comfortable with any of the daycares in our area. And, of course, dual incomes is all but a necessity for raising a family in NJ. My desire to actually stay home to raise my baby is just not an option for me due to the high cost of living here! Several of my friends who are young mothers face this dilemna and more and more of them are wising up and leaving.

Also, we bought a modest 3BR home in a middle class neighborhood in 2004. NJ is one of the few places where that would set you back almost half a million dollars and cost over $10G in taxes. (Incidentally, greedy politicians have raised my property taxes almost $2G in 2 years.)

I think people who bought their homes several years ago might not relate to a person with a six figure salary having a hard time making ends meet. But, when you factor in recent property values and the costs of daycare, it is not surprising.

I am not a NJ native, I grew up in NY. So, quite frankly, I have no real attachment to this state. I am ready to go.

I think, more and more, the powers that be in this state are making NJ an option only for the very poor (due to all the social services) and the very rich. Increasingly, NJ is not a place to raise a family. The tax burden is practically unbearable. With Corzine as governor and Menendez, the likely next Senator, the constant taxing and pickpocketing by the politicians shows no sign of slowing down. Hence, the mass exodus of hard working young families out of this hole.

Last edited by NJMom; 11-02-2006 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: grammar
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-02-2006, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Toms River, NJ
38 posts, read 260,396 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom View Post
Actually, I am not at all surprised by the original posters points. I am in a similar boat. My husband and I make close to $200K a year and, while we aren't broke, it is a struggle to live in NJ. I have finally started to question whether this struggle is even worth it for the "privilege" of living in NJ.
I am still not sure how this is possible, but everyone's situation is different. $200K a year is enough for me to get by in any state - just my own personal opinion. That is a LOT of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom View Post
However, we have an infant son and spend about $2,000 a month on a nanny. Daycare would be about half that but this is our "luxury" because we were not comfortable with any of the daycares in our area.
Don't blame you - to me, it's a necessity for one to find the best care for their child without going broke. You can't "settle" when it comes to something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom View Post
I think people who bought their homes several years ago might not relate to a person with a six figure salary having a hard time making ends meet. But, when you factor in recent property values and the costs of daycare, it is not surprising.
Perhaps - but we bought our home in Ocean County in 2005. We are around the $85,000 mark combined. Maybe a little higher. 4 bedroom colonial built five years ago. We got lucky with a 5.5% interest rate, and admittedly, the taxes are very low in this area right now (and unlikely to go up much, though that is unpredictable). My point with this is simple - if one wants to stay in NJ and doesn't make a ton of money, they can do it. It's not impossible.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-02-2006, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,377 posts, read 14,063,757 times
Reputation: 2265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
I am leaving NJ, not because I want to, but because I can no longer afford to live here. I have been lucky enough to receive alot of good feedback from other state forums that I am considering moving to, so I thought I would share what "the state of affairs" is currently in NJ, FROM MY PERSPECTIVE ONLY.

NJ is beautiful. The beaches, the mountains, and the horsecountry. For those folks who were born and bred here through generation and generation, there is a strong family bond that keeps one living here or coming back. If you are fortunate to have a great job in NYC or in the Pharmceutial industry -- you're golden. If you are in high-tech, your in for a rough time as many of the technology giants have left town or gone out of business. The schools are also top notch.

On the downside, anyone who makes less than 100K has a very difficult time keeping up with the ever increasing cost of living here. 100K is peanuts here if you want to raise a family in a good area. NJ is the most densly populated state in the nation, has the dirtiest water and air in the nation, and has one of the highest cancer rates in the nation. It should also be no surprise to anyone, that we are, embarrassingly, probably one, if not "the" most corrupt state in the nation (read Jim McGrevy's book-- for the political insight). We also have the highest car insurance rates and the highest medical coverage rates. We have lots of crime too -- big time crime -- altho it tends to be in confined towns such as Newark, Camden, Asbury Park, Long Branch, etc. Our winters are harsh! My heating bills are $1000 a month in the winter.

I am leaving not because I want to. I was an executive with a very good job, and I have been laid off (for the 3rd time) as I am in high tech - and as a single parent with a salary over 150K...I was struggling to keep up!

The last thing I wanted to do was take my 10 year old son away from his friends...but I cannot imagine how I could do any better and keep up floating, given the ever increasing .......of, it seems, just about anything and everything that it takes to live here.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.
Your leaving NJ but not because you want to. However you have no problem throwing in some parting shots about how bad NJ is. If you live in Rumson and you can't afford it anymore maybe you can afford Middletown, Hazlet or Keyport. Towns that are right down the road from you. The folks that live in those towns are good hard working people. I hope you don't feel that it's beneath you to live there. You seem a little bitter to me. There are plenty of people that come to this forum just to bash NJ. We've heard it all. Maybe you will fare better in the state you move to. I heard North Dakota is nice with low home prices, taxes and relatively crime free. Good luck to you.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Southern New Jersey
88 posts, read 374,760 times
Reputation: 34
NJMom,

I understand your point. I argue my points coming from a totally different market. In Northern NJ, your paying for the "luxury" of being close to NYC. That's all. Nothing more, Nothing Less.

Now, Let's go "for instance"..

Compare these markets..


We'll go on the HIGHER END..

Hunterdon County-
4bed 2.5bath
3211 sqft.
1.34 Acres
$9861- Taxes
$650,000


Gloucester County-
4bed 2.5bath
4200 sqft.
1.86 Acres
$8321 - Taxes
$549,900


See the Difference? These are right from my MLS. It all comes down to, what part of NJ you choose to live in. Northern NJ is so inflated, I could see people getting little for so much.

$3.25 per gallon takes 48$ to fill my Honda gas tank.
$2.25 per gallon takes 25$ to fill my Honda gas tank.

Good Luck.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-02-2006, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,377 posts, read 14,063,757 times
Reputation: 2265
Quote:
Originally Posted by yclept View Post
I am still not sure how this is possible, but everyone's situation is different. $200K a year is enough for me to get by in any state - just my own personal opinion. That is a LOT of money.



Don't blame you - to me, it's a necessity for one to find the best care for their child without going broke. You can't "settle" when it comes to something like this.



Perhaps - but we bought our home in Ocean County in 2005. We are around the $85,000 mark combined. Maybe a little higher. 4 bedroom colonial built five years ago. We got lucky with a 5.5% interest rate, and admittedly, the taxes are very low in this area right now (and unlikely to go up much, though that is unpredictable). My point with this is simple - if one wants to stay in NJ and doesn't make a ton of money, they can do it. It's not impossible.
Good points. I also can't figure out why people who make well into the six figure range say they can't cut it in NJ. I can point you to several towns where you can still buy a home in the 350K range with taxes in the 5-6K range with decent schools and no major crime problems.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top