Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 07:50 AM

9 posts, read 8,886 times

Advertisements

Hi we are moving to NJ in the next 3 months from Luxembourg in Europe. My husband is English and I am Italian. We have 2 small kids 4 years old and 16 months old. We are a bi-racial family - husband being black. We are looking for a nice town-racially diverse with great schools a good downtown with shops and restaurants. Husband will commute to Basking Ridge and Piscataway. Need to be close to nyc within 1 hour commute. We were looking at the following towns however we have read a lot of "concerning" reviews on most of them ad it relates to racism. Any info on these towns and suggestions on other optiond would be greatly appreciated.
Montclair
Maplewood
Millburn
Westfield
Madison
Chatham
Ridgewood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 09:25 AM

19,163 posts, read 25,411,046 times
I don't know enough about the dynamics of Madison, Chatham, or Ridgewood to be able to comment on them, but I really don't believe that you would encounter racism in any of the other towns.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:56 AM

10,224 posts, read 19,255,387 times
Montclair and Maplewood are some of the most racially diverse towns around. Chatham and Millburn are not (Millburn has a substantial Asian minority but few other minorities). The others fall somewhere in between. As for actual racism... dunno, it's hard for a white person to gauge. Since you appear to be considering train towns you might consider Summit.

Montclair is going to add significantly to the commute to Piscataway and Basking Ridge compared to some of the others. I wouldn't even consider Ridgewood for that commute given your other options.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:17 PM

901 posts, read 2,252,516 times
Look at the towns in and around the Somerset Hills. Bernarsville, Bedminster, Warren, martinsville all really nice areas

Old 11-16-2014, 01:37 PM

260 posts, read 326,824 times
Montclair - mixed races walk the streets.
Maplewood - mixed races live there
Millburn - predominantly white

Also good,
Madison
Chatham

I choose Montclair area for myself, ease for NYC commute

Old 11-16-2014, 02:23 PM

472 posts, read 814,633 times
If I were you, I'd pick either Montclair or Maplewood. They're both very diverse with good schools and great downtowns (Montclair has three!). Not really sure if the commutes to Basking Ridge and Piscataway would be good or not, though. NYC commute would be easy, however. I don't really think racism would be an issue in Montclair or Maplewood due to their diversity. You could also add South Orange to your list. It's very similar to Montclair and Maplewood.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:43 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,812,337 times
If your husband is commuting to Piscataway and Basking Ridge, why are you worried about a 1 hr commute to NYC?

Old 11-16-2014, 04:56 PM

128 posts, read 193,933 times
Montclair is about 40 minutes from Piscataway & Basking Ridge, & about 50 minutes from NYC. (Depends what part you'll be living in). There's a downtown area & it's a diverse town. I've read a lot of good things about it on this site. Maplewood is also diverse with a downtown area. It's about an hour from NYC, but closer to Piscataway & BR. I would definitely pick one of these towns.
Madison, Ridgewood, & Chatham are nice towns. I know they aren't diverse, though.
Westfield is nice, but farther from NYC.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:00 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,752,011 times
whats your budget? what you describe is pretty much Montclair. Maplewood and South orange also fit the bill for diversity. Either way, i think you budget will play a major factor in your choice.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 PM

527 posts, read 710,050 times
Ridgewood has among the best downtowns in New Jersey, schools are excellent and close to the malls and all the shopping places. Property taxes are high though. Although you won't encounter any racism, the town is predominately white. There is a train station going to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey