Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,507 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I am working right outside Trenton, and my husband is starting a job in Murray Hill New Providence next month. We are looking to rent an apartment in between these two areas, so it would be convenient for both of us. I looked at the map and thought New Brunswick-Highland Park-Metuchen all can be considered, I wonder if you guys could please give me some suggestions and pointers in picking a good place to be. 1-2 bedrooms apartments are ideal.

thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 08:43 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceyangyang View Post
Hi guys,
I am working right outside Trenton, and my husband is starting a job in Murray Hill New Providence next month. We are looking to rent an apartment in between these two areas, so it would be convenient for both of us. I looked at the map and thought New Brunswick-Highland Park-Metuchen all can be considered, I wonder if you guys could please give me some suggestions and pointers in picking a good place to be. 1-2 bedrooms apartments are ideal.

thanks so much!!

Do either or both of you need to be on a NJ Transit line for work? New Providence & Trenton are on separate NJ Transit lines.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,507 times
hi, thanks for the reply. We actually still would like to drive. I have not given taking the trains much thought yet. I will look into that. Right I would like to find a safe and not too expensive area in between these two places to stay. We do not have kids, so the quality of schools do not need to be considered.
thanks again and happy thanksgiving !

Old 11-28-2014, 12:30 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceyangyang View Post
hi, thanks for the reply. We actually still would like to drive. I have not given taking the trains much thought yet. I will look into that. Right I would like to find a safe and not too expensive area in between these two places to stay. We do not have kids, so the quality of schools do not need to be considered.
thanks again and happy thanksgiving !

If you're intent on driving to work than I'd suggest doing a practice drive during a typical weekday rush hour. Take a day & make the drive from Trenton to New Providence (& vice versa) & see what traffic feels like on the entire route in both directions.

Take note of towns that you pass by & make a list of viable towns to explore.

There aren't many towns in NJ where apartments are "not too expensive" though.

After seeing what traffic is like you may reconsider living close to a train. <g>

Old 12-01-2014, 09:17 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,346 times
You could pick any town along Rt 1 (New Brunswick, North Brunswick, etc.) or 287 (Somerset, Piscataway, Edison, Bridgewater, etc.) but unfortunately traffic is bad on both during rush hour. I would consider Franklin Township - it is safe, tons of reasonable rental options and right in the middle of both your destinations. About 45 min each way for both of you.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:30 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
I used to live in Highland Park - there are tons of apartment complexes in town. The one I lived in was called Orchard Gardens which is on the north side of town near the Edison border. The apartment was very nice and reasonably priced. That was 10 years ago though so things may have changed since then. Overall I really liked living in Highland Park.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:30 PM

4 posts, read 22,318 times
I live in Murray Hill/New Providence and there is no convenient public transportation here. I also worked in Edison, NJ so I had the reverse commute for your husband, which I hated. Your husband will definitely have to drive and he would want to have easy access to RT 78. Somerset/Bridgewater/Hillsborough are all nice areas that would meet fairly close to halfway.

Unfortunately, you'll only have RT 206, which isn't any better than RT 27 or RT 1, but it limits your commuting options. If you chose New Brunswick, the train would be very easy depending where you work in Trenton. Getting out of New Brunsiwck in the morning during rush hour can be a pain and it would be even worse for your husband who has no direct route to NP. Piscatway is getting better and has a decent area. Neither commute would be great, but you'll both have decent access to major roads.

New Brunswick would be the most expensive, around $1500-2500 for a nice, one bedroom place (Plaza Square/The George)

I avoid traffic at all costs

Old 12-03-2014, 02:33 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amzzy34 View Post
I live in Murray Hill/New Providence and there is no convenient public transportation here. I also worked in Edison, NJ so I had the reverse commute for your husband, which I hated. Your husband will definitely have to drive and he would want to have easy access to RT 78. Somerset/Bridgewater/Hillsborough are all nice areas that would meet fairly close to halfway.

Unfortunately, you'll only have RT 206, which isn't any better than RT 27 or RT 1, but it limits your commuting options. If you chose New Brunswick, the train would be very easy depending where you work in Trenton. Getting out of New Brunsiwck in the morning during rush hour can be a pain and it would be even worse for your husband who has no direct route to NP. Piscatway is getting better and has a decent area. Neither commute would be great, but you'll both have decent access to major roads.

New Brunswick would be the most expensive, around $1500-2500 for a nice, one bedroom place (Plaza Square/The George)

I avoid traffic at all costs
206 is horrible for daily commute and I would avoid it at all cost. I would rather rent along Rt 1 which is busy but mostly 3 lanes between South Brunswick and Lawrenceville with moving traffic.

Franklin Township rents are very reasonable and 2BR units range from $1500-2000.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:12 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
Avoid Franklin if you care about good schools. Plus there's a gang presence near Rt. 27. The rest of it is suburban and even a bit rural.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:57 AM

800 posts, read 1,296,279 times
what is nice and what is our price range for nice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey