U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 AM

19 posts, read 102,394 times

Advertisements

Hello and Happy New Year from a newbie

Can someone tell me specifically what time one would have to leave their house in Middletown to get to midtown Manhattan (Rockefeller Center area) by 9:00am by train? I'm assuming train is faster than bus...I know with the train, I'll have to transfer at Penn Station to get to the east side.

I'm asking about this because I am considering becoming a first-time home owner in Middletown and the commute is a big factor for me. The only good thing about living in Brooklyn (besides the great food) is the convenient door-to-door bus ride between home and work.

Is the bus ride from NJ bad? Someone told me to definitely opt for train. Also, if there is a waiting list for parking at the station and you have to park at a satellite lot, are there times when one is full and you have to drive to another one? I'm worried that I'll spend a lot of time driving around looking for a place to park (a product of living in congested Brooklyn where parking is a rare find).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,913,273 times
You can go to njtransit.org to check out your commute time via bus, train or combo. It's a real neat feature.

My estimate is you'll have a 1.5 to 2 hour commute depending on how close you are to the station and your mode of transit.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:10 PM

14 posts, read 47,924 times
I commute from Rt. 36 Middletown area via Academy bus and it takes roughly 1hr. 15 min. with moderate traffic. I too am in Midtown and walk to work (15 min) from PA. But every possible subway is right there. Of course the days that there's major traffic, it can take upwards of 1hr 45 +.

Parking is easy...there are commuter lots up and down 36 and don't know of any wait lists. Middletown residents can get a parking permit for around 80 dollars/year. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:05 PM

45 posts, read 205,351 times
If you take the train in Middletown it will take you about an hr. to Penn Station and then you will catch the subway to 50th street about another 15 minutes. In total it is about an hr. and a half ride from Middletown. Catch the 7:10 train. As far as parking you can get a parking permit in Sears parking lot and catch the shutte back and forth to the train station. If there is a wait for the bigger parking lot by the station.

The Academy bus takes much longer the traffic going into Manhattan is heavy also you have accidents and according to the weather you would have to leave earlier in the morning.. Hope this helps.. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me...

I to am a ex Bklyn nite and I do not miss it at all.. I do miss the pizza lol.. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:27 AM

19 posts, read 102,394 times
Thank you all for your replies.

How long is the shuttle ride from Sears to the train station? I know where Sears is (on 35 right?) but not sure where it is in relation to the train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey