Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:30 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy908 View Post
Thank you all for your answers!

The Hoboken Station @ 1 Hudson Place is only 1.5 miles from Washington Boulevard in Jersey City.

I'm thinking that I can drive to the Hoboken Station and either walk to Washington, or take the light rail.

Question though? Does anybody know the approximate cost and, can I park my car at Hoboken Station?

Thank you!
Why bother? You're doing the hardest part of the drive, and it is literally no further to drive to Newport than to drive to Hoboken station. Also, parking in Hoboken is even more expensive than Jersey City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:15 PM

96 posts, read 167,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Why bother? You're doing the hardest part of the drive, and it is literally no further to drive to Newport than to drive to Hoboken station. Also, parking in Hoboken is even more expensive than Jersey City.
I think you're right. Does anybody know what NJ transit bus can get me to the Hoboken Station? is it the 163? From the station, I can really just walk to Jersey City.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:19 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
If you're driving from Paramus, why drive until the last mile and then park and take a light rail? If driving that far, just go to Washington Blvd and park there. Parking is probably the same or cheaper there than by Hoboken Terminal anyway.

I suppose you could park at the Tonnelle Ave light rail station in North Bergen for $3/day and ride the light rail for $4.20 round-trip. It'll add an extra half hour to your trip compared to driving, so decide whether the cash or your time is more valuable.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy908 View Post
I think you're right. Does anybody know what NJ transit bus can get me to the Hoboken Station? is it the 163? From the station, I can really just walk to Jersey City.
You can take the 163 from Paramus, get off in Union City and xfer to the 85. Trip time is about 90 min and cost is $4.45.
Njtransit.com

Old 12-03-2014, 09:47 PM

Thank you!!!!

Geez, I wish there was just a nj transit bus that went directly from the Paramus/Maywood/Hackensack area directly to JC! I hate parking in a garage, and a bus would be so much easier.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:25 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
You can take the 163 from Paramus, get off in Union City and xfer to the 85. Trip time is about 90 min and cost is $4.45.
Njtransit.com
The #86 goes directly from Union City to Washington Blvd (unfortunately, the first bus of the morning gets there at 8:19AM).

For the OP, the Oradell station on the Pascack Valley Line is also an option, though the service is much more frequent at Ridgewood on the Main/Bergen County Line.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 AM

31 posts, read 138,755 times
Cathy908 - in case you have not yet taken this trip from Paramus:

Take this is from someone who commutes to Washington Boulevard DAILY - Forget about parking there!
And parking in and around Hoboken train station is even worse!!

If you do drive, (and bear the terrible traffic all the way) the best options to park will be at the private garages, including those in apartments. Many apartment garage decks allow non residents to park for the day (try the ones on River Drive or the Avalon) - average cost is around $30/day.
The "typical" best route to drive to Washington Blvd in the AM is NJ Turnpike south to Rt 280 East to Rt 7 East to Rt 139 and then get off just before the Holland Tunnel to the Newport Mall Ramp at Jersey Ave.

Trains are the best choice
Better "parking" options for Paramus are the Pascack Valley Express Train from New Bridge landing in River Edge (two large parking lots) or the Ridgewood Train Station - though you have to park in any daily commuter parking lot close to the station (The Village of Ridgewood) and feed the meter for the day. Parking at the train station lot in Ridgewood is onl for residents and is full at 6:50AM daily. You might also consider the Glen Rock station if it is closer for you - http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servl...n=51&x=56&y=13.

Either way, take the train to Hoboken as others have posted in this thread and then light rail to your nearest location. All bus options will be terribly slow in comparison - buses get stuck in the same traffic as cars and also have to make all designated stops.
In comparison, some express trains reach Hoboken from River Edge/Ridgewood in less than 40 min.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airace View Post
Cathy908 - in case you have not yet taken this trip from Paramus:

Take this is from someone who commutes to Washington Boulevard DAILY - Forget about parking there!
And parking in and around Hoboken train station is even worse!!

If you do drive, (and bear the terrible traffic all the way) the best options to park will be at the private garages, including those in apartments. Many apartment garage decks allow non residents to park for the day (try the ones on River Drive or the Avalon) - average cost is around $30/day.
The "typical" best route to drive to Washington Blvd in the AM is NJ Turnpike south to Rt 280 East to Rt 7 East to Rt 139 and then get off just before the Holland Tunnel to the Newport Mall Ramp at Jersey Ave.

Trains are the best choice
Better "parking" options for Paramus are the Pascack Valley Express Train from New Bridge landing in River Edge (two large parking lots) or the Ridgewood Train Station - though you have to park in any daily commuter parking lot close to the station (The Village of Ridgewood) and feed the meter for the day. Parking at the train station lot in Ridgewood is onl for residents and is full at 6:50AM daily. You might also consider the Glen Rock station if it is closer for you - New Jersey Transit.

Either way, take the train to Hoboken as others have posted in this thread and then light rail to your nearest location. All bus options will be terribly slow in comparison - buses get stuck in the same traffic as cars and also have to make all designated stops.
In comparison, some express trains reach Hoboken from River Edge/Ridgewood in less than 40 min.
Thanks Airace!

Wow, I do not envy your commute to JC everyday. Yesterday, I took rt. 17 to rt.3 to 1&9. everything was fine until I got on East 139 and was on there for 30 minutes! Then I made the turn onto Jersey Ave, etc.

A 16 mile trip took me about 45 minutes, and it wasn't much better going home. I don't think I could do that every single day, so, yes, it look like I will probably take train then light rail it.

Parking is sooo expensive in those parking garages, and not sure if a potential employer would help with the monthly cost. Thanks so much for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey