Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 07:45 PM

849 posts, read 269,669 times

Advertisements

Ok CDers...you've seen my posts asking for insight and advice on central NJ, Monmouth County, etc.

I've been offered a job there and before I commit, I want to have a better understanding of the cost of living.

Where I live now...
I pay $800/annually for fully insured including collision on my Lexus SUV
Electric hot water - $1500 annually
Oil heat: $1,500/season
Gas - $2.92 / gallon right now
Housing - Mortgage$1500 for 2500 square feet of house.

These are just a few things.

A friend who lives in NJ close to Staten Island told me she pays $2,000 year same car, same insurance so it got me to thinking about all the other cost differences that people may have been surprised by when they moved to central NJ from somewhere else.

Please share your stories/experience...Much appreciated!

Thanks folks!
Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 08:08 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I pay about $1200 a year for car insurance. My biggest surprise was that it dropped from about $1800 when I moved here from north Jersey.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:33 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
We pay 1400.00 year on 2 bmw's with full coverage. Price went down significantly when we moved another town away from Trenton. We weren't that close to Trenton in the first place.

Still cheaper than our previous State (Ms) where we paid uninsured motorist fees.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:41 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,947 times
Retirement contributions, except for 401k plans, are subject to state tax

NJ Division of Taxation - NJ Income Tax Wages

Old 12-10-2014, 05:48 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_Newbie View Post

A friend who lives in NJ close to Staten Island told me she pays $2,000 year same car, same insurance so it got me to thinking about all the other cost differences that people may have been surprised by when they moved to central NJ from somewhere else.

Unless you are intimately familiar with your friend's driving record in terms of every ticket that she may have received over the years, every accident in which she was involved, and every insurance claim that she may have filed, it is essentially impossible to compare your insurance rate in a different state (and likely on a different model car) to hers.

This is similar to asking, "How much should I pay for electricity?", without knowing every difference between your usage and the efficiency level of your appliances, as compared to somebody else's. Or, in other words, unless every possible factor that influences insurance rates is identical, you are essentially trying to compare apples & oranges.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:58 AM

901 posts, read 2,247,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_Newbie View Post
Ok CDers...you've seen my posts asking for insight and advice on central NJ, Monmouth County, etc.

I've been offered a job there and before I commit, I want to have a better understanding of the cost of living.

Where I live now...
I pay $800/annually for fully insured including collision on my Lexus SUV
Electric hot water - $1500 annually
Oil heat: $1,500/season
Gas - $2.92 / gallon right now
Housing - Mortgage$1500 for 2500 square feet of house.

These are just a few things.

Please share your stories/experience...Much appreciated!

Thanks folks!
Julie
Your property taxes! Expect to pay 10k/year or more.

Last edited by OysterCatcher; 12-10-2014 at 06:13 AM..

Old 12-10-2014, 07:24 AM

180 posts, read 344,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Unless you are intimately familiar with your friend's driving record in terms of every ticket that she may have received over the years, every accident in which she was involved, and every insurance claim that she may have filed, it is essentially impossible to compare your insurance rate in a different state (and likely on a different model car) to hers.

This is similar to asking, "How much should I pay for electricity?", without knowing every difference between your usage and the efficiency level of your appliances, as compared to somebody else's. Or, in other words, unless every possible factor that influences insurance rates is identical, you are essentially trying to compare apples & oranges.

I agree with Retriever - you are asking impossible questions; I live in a 2500 sq ft house and pay a lower mortgage then you but your mortgage is dependent on your interest rate and how much money you are borrowing - so again comparing apples and oranges. And property taxes depend on which town you live-in and how much your house is worth. The same exact house in central NJ vs Monmouth County vs Morris County can be very different regarding property taxes.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Person View Post
I agree with Retriever - you are asking impossible questions; I live in a 2500 sq ft house and pay a lower mortgage then you but your mortgage is dependent on your interest rate and how much money you are borrowing - so again comparing apples and oranges. And property taxes depend on which town you live-in and how much your house is worth. The same exact house in central NJ vs Monmouth County vs Morris County can be very different regarding property taxes.
Agree as well. Ours is a 3,000 sf home with a mortgage payment a few hundred dollars higher than yours. Taxes are over $13K annually.

Neighbors across the street in a very similar sized home have a mortgage payment that is over three times ours because of their loan amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey