Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 09:15 PM

11 posts, read 25,278 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a Conductor job at NJ Transit? I've heard their Conductors start at 50K and some are earning over 100K. The job seems pretty easy too, and I've heard they get a lot of down time (like 4-5 hour paid breaks). I wonder why a lot of them are so unfriendly and miserable lol. I've applied numerous times over the years, but have never heard anything. I wonder if they hire "regular" people, or if you need company or government connections to get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
The double-decker trains are killing their knees.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:48 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Since you already got booted from one conductors job, maybe your looking in the wrong line of work.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:24 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.bratton View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a Conductor job at NJ Transit? I've heard their Conductors start at 50K and some are earning over 100K. The job seems pretty easy too, and I've heard they get a lot of down time (like 4-5 hour paid breaks). I wonder why a lot of them are so unfriendly and miserable lol. I've applied numerous times over the years, but have never heard anything. I wonder if they hire "regular" people, or if you need company or government connections to get in.
It always helps to know somebody, I think, but have you even bothered to go to their website and apply? Or gone to the website to see if there are openings?

I think you are imagining things about most of them being miserable and unfriendly. I've been riding NJ Transit for more than thirty years, and with one or two exceptions over the years, most of them are pretty friendly and pleasant. Dealing with the public, especially drunks, people who don't think THEY have to pay to ride the trains, slobs, and just plain rude idiots can't be that easy a task.

Those paid "breaks" don't mean you get to go home or prance off to your local bar. You might be stuck in Suffern for five hours when you live in Belmar. You might use that time to catch a nap because you started at 4 a.m. and have to keep going until 10 p.m. I know a woman who became a NJ Transit conductor and then she quit after less than a year because the hours are so horrendous and the shifts vary and she could never plan anything too far in advance because she didn't know what her schedule would be like.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:36 AM

239 posts, read 379,436 times
I think the days of really cushy government jobs are mostly gone, with the exception of top positions at the Port Authority and other agencies that are only available to connected people. But we're still stuck paying for the benefits of prior generations of cops, firefighters, etc. who could retire at age 48 with 75% salary (that was of course was inflated because of extra overtime in their last year).

Old 12-14-2014, 07:18 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,241 times
i imagine, like any union job, you have to be born into it.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:03 AM

362 posts, read 497,554 times
Go on their website and do a search for job postings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: