Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2014, 10:08 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,725,981 times

Advertisements

after about 1 year? i know it is bad form, frowned upon etc. especially without a LEGIT reason. but i am just curious if anyone has attempted it and how it worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 10:37 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
I have done it twice. Although in my case both were 1-year leases. The first lease I dropped with 8 months left. All they did was keep my security deposit. No questions asked. The second lease I broke with about 6 months remaining. I had a very good relationship with that landlord and she actually gave me about half my security deposit back because she was quickly able to find a new tenant to take the apartment.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:42 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
How is breaking a 2-year lease any different than breaking a 1-year or shorter/longer lease? Breaking a lease is breaking a lease no matter the term.

Depends on two factors - terms mentioned in the lease AND your relationship with the owner.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:00 PM

343 posts, read 615,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
after about 1 year? i know it is bad form, frowned upon etc. especially without a LEGIT reason. but i am just curious if anyone has attempted it and how it worked out.
if the landlord is an individual / small organization, you can try work it out with them by finding someone to take over the lease and have the deposit returned to you. I did it in the past and it worked out fine, i posted an ad and found someone to take over my lease while confirmed with the landlord beforehand.

in cases of management companies owning the rental you are most likely out of luck, you can still talk to them but most times they would just want to take your security deposit then find someone else themselves, especially given the hot rental market right now.

In the end talk to the landlord first, but you have no legal justification if they take your deposit unless you can prove the unit has some issues that violates the lease like the landlord doesnt turn on the heat, leaky ceiling etc..

Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
How is breaking a 2-year lease any different than breaking a 1-year or shorter/longer lease? Breaking a lease is breaking a lease no matter the term.

Depends on two factors - terms mentioned in the lease AND your relationship with the owner.
terms mention nothing regarding the ability to break the lease. my relationship with the owner is relatively non-existent. not that that is necessarily bad, we just never really see/talk to them. they own a few different apartment buildings in town and unless there is an issue, there is basically 0 communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude05 View Post
if the landlord is an individual / small organization, you can try work it out with them by finding someone to take over the lease and have the deposit returned to you. I did it in the past and it worked out fine, i posted an ad and found someone to take over my lease while confirmed with the landlord beforehand.

in cases of management companies owning the rental you are most likely out of luck, you can still talk to them but most times they would just want to take your security deposit then find someone else themselves, especially given the hot rental market right now.

In the end talk to the landlord first, but you have no legal justification if they take your deposit unless you can prove the unit has some issues that violates the lease like the landlord doesnt turn on the heat, leaky ceiling etc..
yep, i fully expect them to keep some/all of the deposit. which would suck since it was a full 2 months rent (at $1650/mo.). that said, if i give plenty of notice (3+ months) and offer to list and show myself, i wonder if they might be more flexible.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:14 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
terms mention nothing regarding the ability to break the lease. my relationship with the owner is relatively non-existent. not that that is necessarily bad, we just never really see/talk to them. they own a few different apartment buildings in town and unless there is an issue, there is basically 0 communication.

yep, i fully expect them to keep some/all of the deposit. which would suck since it was a full 2 months rent (at $1650/mo.). that said, if i give plenty of notice (3+ months) and offer to list and show myself, i wonder if they might be more flexible.

You gave 2 months deposit?? Is it really all rent deposit or is some of it damage deposit which you'd hopefully get back most of?

Old 12-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You gave 2 months deposit?? Is it really all rent deposit or is some of it damage deposit which you'd hopefully get back most of?
yes. i figured that was...acceptable for a 2 year lease.

not sure if some of it is for damage i have to look at the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey