Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,346 times

Advertisements

Hi:
I thought there might be many like me, and I would be able to find an answer through existing threads, but that didn't work.
Goal: Shorter (1 hr or less) commute, preferably by train (from north NJ) to mid-town (42nd and Madison, Grand Central area), good neighborhood
Don't care: School district wouldn't matter, however reasonably good houses (don't care for backyard)
Budget: about $1MM for a 4 bedroom, 2+ bath house, with relatively good kitchen size.
I currently live in East Brunswick (Middlesex county), with a bus commute (no nearby train station) to PABT, that takes 50 min to 1 hour (from bus stop to PABT), on a good day. However, on rainy days, and occasional traffic troubles (1 in two weeks), it adds 15 to 30 minutes, and sometimes (twice a year) an hour.
I just became an empty nester, so looking to move closer to NYC (but has to be NJ).
Looked at: Jersey City area, Secaucus area, Rutherford.
Jersey City seemed the best for commute but houses or neighborhoods, not so. Very old, run-down, tiny houses.
Liked Secaucus the most from commute and types of available houses. However, folks on this forum don't speak much about this area, or talk of avoiding this area
Liked these 2 houses:
634 Chestnut Pl, Secaucus, NJ 07094 is For Sale - Zillow
95 Central Ln, Secaucus, NJ 07094 is For Sale - Zillow
Rutherford looks as the next best one, with both reasonable commute and reasonable houses, but doesn't seem to be taking that much of commute time away from my current East Brunswick bus commute. That is considering the time to change at Secaucus - but I could be mistaken.
Any suggestions / experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 09:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Secaucus the town isn't all that near Secaucus Junction, the train station. So I'm not sure it helps you much. The problem with a train commute to GCT is there's no direct line from Penn Station to GCT. Best option might be Weehawken, still a bus commute but about the shortest one possible, might be tough finding the house though.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
As my nest moves toward empty, I've had similar thoughts, and Rutherford & Maplewood are on my list to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey