Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 02:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,732 times

Advertisements

I was cited for a vehicle abandonment in Ventnor City, NJ (I've been NJ resident for almost 4 years. The vehicle was a car with salvage title that I had I bought and had repaired and it sat on a dead-end street next to my residence awaiting State inspection, which has approx one month waiting queue, so it can not be registered until it passes State salvage inspection. Anyways, it seems I might face driver's license suspension for this offense, and that would mean losing my job. Do I need to hire an attorney, and how I can find a right one? I think the one who knows the Judge etc. might be more useful, what should be my strategy to find good one? thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 05:32 AM

380 posts, read 607,958 times
Possible license suspension and losing your job. Yes, you need a lawyer, no question about it. Find somebody who does vehicular law. Search martindale or avvo.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:36 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Problem might be that it was sitting on a street while not registered. I suspect you should be able to show that you had made arrangements for the inspection process and where waiting. I would consider a lawyer, much depends on how often they actually suspend a license for that. Maybe with a lawyer you could make a deal to change it to a parking ticket or something.

Often if you get a ticket various lawyers will bombard your mailbox with letters advertising themselves.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:47 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
I would not go into court without a lawyer. Have the lawyer talk to the prosecutor, explain the situation and agree on a few hundred dollar fine instead.

When I get a ticket I get a number of Lawyer advertisements in the mail. Usually those lawyers already work with that court.

Don't know anything about Ventnor City, NJ.

Typically in some townships, cops give allot tickets and then courts dismiss a bunch. In other townships when Police gives you a ticket, the court will take the side of the Police.

I don't think you will have a license suspension if you hire a lawyer in this case.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:35 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Typically in some townships, cops give allot tickets and then courts dismiss a bunch.
In those townships, who decides on how those tickets are allotted?

Old 01-03-2015, 03:23 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
In the township that I have lived for like a decade, I have gotten 1 ticket. It was raining, and dark. A cop puled me over and said that I failed to break for a pedestrian, while I have not seen a pedestrian. I apologized and promised to have my eye sight examined. But I am still confused, if there was a pedestrian, I would have seen him . If a I go before a judge, I would get my license suspended, the judge would be furious at my nerve to waste his time while not driving safely.

Most of the tickets I have gotten are in NJ and are in one Township, that Township is on my way between home and a major Highway. But for some reason the bell curve rests there. Like 75% of all the tickets I have ever gotten were from there. Some people I know are having a problem with that Township over tickets as well and she works in that Township.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:41 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
True. Some townships feel the need to line the courtroom floors and walls with marble and so are out soliciting funding from those who venture its trails.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:46 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
A cop puled me over and said that I failed to break for a pedestrian, while I have not seen a pedestrian.
It is very fortunate that you did not break that pedestrian when you failed to brake your car.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:38 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
The statute states "MAY" be suspended. It's not mandatory. You might see if they will downgrade to a Unregistered Vehicle, N.J.S. 39:3-4. As every court is different, all I can say is our judge never suspended a dl for that offense.

I'm guessing someone living in the area made a call complaining. That's the way most come in. I would have the vehicle paperwork and bill of sale to indicate the vehicle was in front of or at least near your residence.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:46 PM

39 posts, read 51,507 times
I don't know why people suggest hiring expensive attorneys for such innocuous offenses (pretty much anything that is handled in municipal courts). If the situation is as you say, simply go to court with a written explanation of why your car was parked there and the implications of a license suspension would have along with an apology, and materials that show the date you purchased/repaired the vehicle as well as its title to show that it is salvage and you are waiting on a state inspection. Just show them that you're a genuine upstanding citizen and your behavior didn't harm anyone nor put anyone in danger. Prosecutors aren't out to get people and make their lives hell over minor offense; all they want is money for the township- and if this is the case, they will simply change the citation to something that will let you keep your license.

Cops, Prosecutors and Judges are human too. Nobody is going to suspend your license for parking your own car next to your own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey