Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,614 times

Advertisements

Hello all-

I recently accepted a job in the financial district beginning this summer and have begun searching for areas that will fit within our budget. I have three kids, one of whom will be in elementary school, the other two are a couple years out.

Important Criteria:
-We need at least 3 bedrooms and 2 baths with at least 1000 sq. feet. and a parking space.
-Laundry in unit
-Commute to FiDi less than an hour. Ideally, limited to about 45 min.

Additionally, our budget can support about $4000/month with parking. ie, if parking is $200/mo. $3800 is the max.

Here is the real obstacle--schools. We would love our daughter to attend a good public school. We have found that many areas that meet our criteria above have poor public schools.

One area we have researched is Hoboken and would send our child to Hoboken Catholic Academy (if admitted). Unfortunately, sending our child to a private school would reduce our budget by a commensurate amount. If our annual budget is $48k and tuition is $8k, then our new annual housing budget is $40k and monthly budget becomes $3,333.

I am all ears if I have realistic expectations or if I need to compromise somewhere. Please advise on any recommendations. Good schools is my biggest priority, followed by commute time.

We would only live in this place for 1-2 years and would then purchase our own home when we are more comfortable with the area.

Lastly, I would love an opinion on the following: Secaucus, Weehawken, Bayonne with respect to public schools and commute time to financial district.

Grateful for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 07:57 AM

696 posts, read 906,855 times
Secaucus, Weehawken, and Bayonne have fair to poor schools and are not your best bets for a commute to downtown. You might want to consider Rutherford. The schools are pretty good at the elementary level and NJ Transit Rail has service to Hoboken (15 - 20 minutes app.) with transfer to PATH for the World Trade Center (10 minutes). If you are planning to move before any of your children reach middle school age, you will be fine. This link should give you some idea of the current rental market:

http://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/..._NJ?source=web

Best of Luck.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:17 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I agree that Rutherford is a good place to look for a short commute while still being in a suburban-type area with reasonable schools.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,187 times
". . . and Bayonne have fair to poor schools and are not your best bets for a commute to downtown."

Horrace Mann School in Bayonne gets immigrant kids from the 25% mark in the state to 65% between kindergarten and sixth grade. The community has a solid core of mulch-generational families, typically nurses, union construction and cops. Laid over that are immigrant waves, currently Indians, but just look at the list of churches and community centers to get an idea of who has been here and left behind something interesting.

My commute from 1/2 block to 34th street light rail is a reliable hour to 50th and Lex in midtown. 30 to 35 minutes to World Trade Center. I'm a lawyer who is very pleased to have moved here.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:25 PM

472 posts, read 812,505 times
Secaucus, Bayonne, and Weehawken have poor schools, but I second Rutherford.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:38 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxomlong View Post
Horrace (SP) Mann School in Bayonne gets immigrant kids from the 25% mark in the state to 65% between kindergarten and sixth grade.

HUH? What does that actually mean?

The community has a solid core of mulch-generational families.
If we were talking about gardens, I might be impressed by their accumulation of mulch in the community.
When it comes to education...not so much.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,187 times
Default AHH an artist

Doesn't need numbers- just knows what is bad. Doesn't need to know where to look up numbers. Isn't able to look up numbers.

And I hate auto correct. How multi becomes mulch is beyond me.

My daughter's best friend's father does million and up renovations of Manhattan residences and chooses to live here after living everywhere around New York City. For the family life. I like the brilliant immigrant parents.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:20 PM

298 posts, read 341,673 times
Default Short Hills

Have you considered Short Hills/Millburn? GREAT schools. I think NJT line there runs to Hoboken, from there you take PATH into lower manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuaietrain View Post
Hello all-

I recently accepted a job in the financial district beginning this summer and have begun searching for areas that will fit within our budget. I have three kids, one of whom will be in elementary school, the other two are a couple years out.

Important Criteria:
-We need at least 3 bedrooms and 2 baths with at least 1000 sq. feet. and a parking space.
-Laundry in unit
-Commute to FiDi less than an hour. Ideally, limited to about 45 min.

Additionally, our budget can support about $4000/month with parking. ie, if parking is $200/mo. $3800 is the max.

Here is the real obstacle--schools. We would love our daughter to attend a good public school. We have found that many areas that meet our criteria above have poor public schools.

One area we have researched is Hoboken and would send our child to Hoboken Catholic Academy (if admitted). Unfortunately, sending our child to a private school would reduce our budget by a commensurate amount. If our annual budget is $48k and tuition is $8k, then our new annual housing budget is $40k and monthly budget becomes $3,333.

I am all ears if I have realistic expectations or if I need to compromise somewhere. Please advise on any recommendations. Good schools is my biggest priority, followed by commute time.

We would only live in this place for 1-2 years and would then purchase our own home when we are more comfortable with the area.

Lastly, I would love an opinion on the following: Secaucus, Weehawken, Bayonne with respect to public schools and commute time to financial district.

Grateful for your opinions!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:33 PM

298 posts, read 341,673 times
Sorry, didn't get to fully complete my reply. Most of the towns you mentioned or that people suggested don't really have good schools. If it was my child, I would look for a better school district, even if it meant a longer commute. Also, do you want to live in a nice area, or a "not so nice" area? Short Hills-Millburn has top rated schools, great restaurants, plenty of shopping. You can get a 3 bedroom townhome or apartment there for probably around $3000 a month. With 3 kids, you really need at least 1500 sf. As far as the commute, the train ride from Short Hills to Hoboken is 30 min, and then you only need to take the Path into lower manhattan. It would end up being 45-50 min depending on how long your walk is.

You will like living in Short Hills, trust me on this one.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:36 AM

107 posts, read 195,865 times
Don't rule out northern Monmouth county, the Seastreak ferry there goes directly to Wall Street and the commute is only 40 minutes, there are some really nice towns there (red bank, rumson, etc) that you may want to investigate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey