Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 04:38 PM

14 posts, read 38,531 times

Advertisements

Relocating for husband's job in Wayne (8am-5pm but flexible) - how is the commute from Sparta?
I am looking at a job in Morristown (I would be going in for 7am and getting out at 7pm) how is that commute from Sparta?
Should we even look in Sparta? How are the schools? Are there stores for shopping there? What kind of people live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 05:15 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,519,851 times
I looked in Sparta when I thought I was moving to the area, never happened. I settled on Green Twp which has a better location to Rt 80. I would have been commuting to Madison and I was going to leave around 6:15am. You can do the commute if you leave early. Sparta is one of the most affluent communities in Sussex, though I felt Green had more character and had better location/investment potential. One thing people in that area told me was Rt 15 was going to add a lot of time to your commute coming from Sparta. I suggest you look in Green Twp. It's a nice area with some higher end homes and a fairly new elementary school. Taxes are higher than other locations in Sussex. Good luck.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 02-12-2008 at 05:51 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
NJ Transit has been trying to convince Sparta to allow them to put in a station there but the residence are against it. This would cut down on so much of the traffic on Rt. 15 as well as Rt. 80 because that's where it backs up the most - Rt. 80 / Rt. 15 merger. If hubby is going to Wayne, he can always take Rt. 23 but that I hear can be just as bad as Rt. 15 or 80. For you, if you leave by 6:00 am you'll be fine and coming home that late, you'll be fine. Moorestown and I had a lengthy conversation in another thread about Green Twp. - it is a really nice area and very close to Rt. 80 and there's tons of stuff to do out this way as well. You'll get more property out this way as well if that is an issue.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 6,449 times
Did someone tell you to look in Sparta? Not usual geographic trend to go from Wayne to Sparta. Sparta is beautiful country- offers all income levels of living from extremely affluent to smaller communities, townhomes and lake style areas. The Center of town has really built up in the past few years offering Panera Bread, some specialty shops, Stop & Shop and newer restaurants- But compared to Wayne it's night and day as far as volume of stores and variety. Very quaint. 15 and 80 all pose travelling delays 5:30 a.m. volume begins to pick up heavily- so you would be alright on the return trip- Depending upon your wants and needs and budget might I suggest Randolph or Denville close to Morristown, and ez to 287 to catch 23 for your husband- plenty of shopping, but perhaps more congested than Sparta depnding on the area. Best asvise is load up a cup of coffee and go driving, you'd be suprised how an area will give you a feeling of home just by driving through. I'm a realtor, and have had many tranplants benefit from that advice.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:57 PM

27 posts, read 140,099 times
Given your geography of two commutes I'd suggest Sparta on the Eastern side and definately not Green for that reason though Green is a great town. Sparta has some downtown shops but not much really. MOST Sparta residents make use of shopping - restaurants - entertainment - in towns that are on spokes out of Sparta. Maybe 20% of their "shop-restaurant" excursions will involve Sparta establishments - not because they are not good - but because Sparta Twp is big and peripheral Spartans shop Away from the town center. From the Western Edge of Sparta - your shopping will tend to Milton, Ogdensburg, Franklin and down Berkshire Valley road to Rockaway mall. But you'll still find yourself in Sparta downtown for some outings. Nice little town. me3tv dot org see sparta video there
Schools are among top in NJ but facilities at Elem getting a bit crowded and the HS is under a two year big time upgrade. Type of people ? I am a Southern Redneck and somehow survived 25 years here. So far - very few of the locals have killed anybody in an old fashioned knife fight. I guess they are mostly law abiding, dull, run of the mill Amerkuns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey