Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 15,846 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I plan on moving to McGinley Square, buying a condo there. I'm already considering one on Fairmount ave (between westside and kennedy). The prices for condos there are still very cheap. I currently live in Bayridge in Brooklyn. I haven't yet decided if I'm gonna live in JC or just rent it out. With all the revitalization plans to improve JC going on, I really hope to invest in the area as early as possible in hopes for the property value to grow substantially. I work in New York, sometimes until late, and I'm not sure if I will feel safe in the area. How safe is the area? Are there buses that go to Journal Square Path from McGinley Sqr? I'm not familiar with JC, but I did live in Bayonne. I'm a young female in my mid 20s.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 10:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
It's a 15-20 minute walk to JSQ, but if you want, there's the #1, #80, and Society Hill bus along West Side Avenue, and the #10 bus along JFK Blvd. There's also the #119 bus along JFK Blvd that runs directly to the PABT.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:41 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,599 times
That block is fairly nice and quiet. It's got lots of historical Victorian type mansions and borders St Peter's "campus." The main drawback is the long walk to PATH station as previous post stated. A taxi ride from station should be $5 and Uber will be even less than that on late nights or bad weather. I'm not sure if there is a local supermarket nearby or if you will need a car for that... both CTown and Twin City are closer up to PATH station.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:40 PM

28 posts, read 77,911 times
should be fine for you, especially at rush hours. walking along kennedy blvd. should get you to the path in under 20 mins. you can catch a bus from kennedy too. don't do the walk at 3 a.m. but there will be plenty of foot traffic until late night.

how much are the condos going for?

Old 01-19-2015, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 15,846 times
I'm actually considering another apartment which is bigger, on Kennedy blvd, between jewett and kensington. I know that area is a little closer to all the "bad blocks" and a few blocks further from Path than the other apartment.You can find a decent one bedroom condo for anywhere between 150-200k. The Beacon is nice with their amenities and their shuttle buses but their maintenance fees are a little high, as well as condo prices.

Thanks for your replies guys!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:48 PM

79 posts, read 119,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val88 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I plan on moving to McGinley Square, buying a condo there. I'm already considering one on Fairmount ave (between westside and kennedy). The prices for condos there are still very cheap. I currently live in Bayridge in Brooklyn. I haven't yet decided if I'm gonna live in JC or just rent it out. With all the revitalization plans to improve JC going on, I really hope to invest in the area as early as possible in hopes for the property value to grow substantially. I work in New York, sometimes until late, and I'm not sure if I will feel safe in the area. How safe is the area? Are there buses that go to Journal Square Path from McGinley Sqr? I'm not familiar with JC, but I did live in Bayonne. I'm a young female in my mid 20s.

Thank you
It is absolutely no Bay Ridge that's for sure. Not trying to discourage just telling the truth. Have you visited the area night and day and in nicer weather?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:20 PM

343 posts, read 615,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val88 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thank you
i highly recommend AGAINST buying in that area, it's not a good neighborhood. You want to be near within 2-3 blocks of JSQ PATH, or NORTH of JSQ PATH around st pauls ave. That's the best areas around jsq and have the most potential for gentrification down the road.

Check the st johns condos (201, 225 st pauls ave, 10 huron ave), the liberty condo (75 liberty ave). Also some of the cheaper and smaller condo buildings around that area depends on your price point and preference.

It may cost a bit more but the location is significantly better and the ability to walk to jsq path is a huge plus. Consider carefully...

Old 01-22-2015, 09:27 AM

565 posts, read 722,532 times
One of my best friends lives in an older doorman building right near the St. Peter's campus--she rents from another girl who owns (they are roomates). I don't think either of them takes long walks at night, but it's fine. My friend either takes a cab from jsq if she goes out and comes home late, or Uber or sometimes even drives (she has a car).

Old 01-22-2015, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 17,344 times
McGinley Square is Hidden Gem . Well not that hidden anymore in the past few years people have been discovering it and now is started to skyrocket. With the New towers coming up and of course The beacon there is no stopping the growth.

I work for an S&P 500 company in NYC and I move to Mcginley Square over 10 years my co worker thought I was crazy. Guess what I have a few coworkers that have move both of them from Brooklyn to the area . If you didn't know a huge part of Mcginley square just became a Historic District. See the link [url=http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2014/11/jersey_city_district_designated_a_nj_historic_site .html]Jersey City district designated as a N.J. historic site | NJ.com[/url]

I would not think twice in investing. Good luck

Old 01-22-2015, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 17,344 times
Hi if you buy between Jewett and Kegsinton you will be part of the Historic District . That is a better investment . Fairmount between Kennedy and Westside was not part of the district as of Yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey