Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:22 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times

Advertisements

In my search for a new place to call home I stumbled on Jersey City and on paper it sounds like is should be a great place to live (certainly more interesting than one of NYC's lesser five boroughs). Although, not only had I never heard it mentioned before I started my search I also haven't seen it compared to many other places on here.

From what I understand:

- It's a good size at roughly 250,000 people.

- Diverse.

- Next door to Hoboken & a short train ride to NYC without having the high-speed lifestyle of that city.

- Great river views.

So on and so on.

Meanwhile another city I found (Providence, RI) has a similar set up with Boston & Newport being close and people rave about it.

Personally I'd be tempted to check it out if I thought the COL was within my price range.

So what's the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:02 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
In my search for a new place to call home I stumbled on Jersey City and on paper it sounds like is should be a great place to live (certainly more interesting than one of NYC's lesser five boroughs). Although, not only had I never heard it mentioned before I started my search I also haven't seen it compared to many other places on here.

From what I understand:

- It's a good size at roughly 250,000 people.

- Diverse.

- Next door to Hoboken & a short train ride to NYC without having the high-speed lifestyle of that city.

- Great river views.

So on and so on.

Meanwhile another city I found (Providence, RI) has a similar set up with Boston & Newport being close and people rave about it.

Personally I'd be tempted to check it out if I thought the COL was within my price range.

So what's the deal?
Until fairly recently, Jersey City was almost a complete urban blight, a rundown, crime-ridden city from which anyone who could had fled a generation ago.

Then along came the developers who saw waterfront and views of Manhattan and knocked down old warehouses and built high-rise apartments and condominiums.

So now you have a city that has a very expensive waterfront area and an interior that is mostly urban blight, rundown and crime-ridden. Some areas are much worse than others, with gunfire being a common sound in a few neighborhoods. There are also sections that hold a significant Asian Indian population. Other areas are expected to be redeveloped and gentrified in the near future. There are pros and cons to living there, depending upon your situation and your lifestyle. There are those magnificent views (I work in Jersey City and the view still strikes me from time to time). If you have kids, you may have to look into private schools. There is easy public transportation to the city, and even though the best areas come with a pricetag, that pricetag is still lower than the ones across the creek. Jersey City itself doesn't have a whole lot to offer--there are some nice restaurants, a few decent bars, but it's biggest pro is access to Manhattan.

But...I love Providence and would definitely advise you to take that under consideration! And Jersey City doesn't have Waterfire!

WaterFire Providence Home | WaterFire Providence

Old 01-17-2015, 09:09 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Providence is cool, but its "set up" isn't all that similar. Jersey City is a mile from Manhattan, and a relatively quick ride on PATH, which runs 24/7. You can be sitting in your apartment in JC and decide "I want to go to Manhattan," and 15 minutes later you're there.

Providence is much farther from Boston than JC is from New York. You'll take the MBTA commuter rail, which will take the better part of an hour to make the trip, and trains only run once an hour oftentimes. So sitting in your apartment and deciding to go to Boston, you'll want to look at the train timetables and you'll have to plan the trip.

Downtown JC is a great neighborhood, great restaurants, good arts scene, diverse. Rents have gotten very high recently, however. I suspect Providence might be quite a bit cheaper. Providence has good restaurants and arts as well.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:05 AM

Ah, I didn't realize that it was a recent development.

Lammius, wouldn't it being that much closer to Manhattan make more of a case FOR Jersey City?

Mainly I think I found it strange because I had heard of Hoboken and I had heard of Newark (mainly as a place not to go), but not Jersey City.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:47 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,253,976 times
There seem to be a lot of facets to this such as job, family, finances, etc, that we aren't even touching. Why compare Providence and Jersey City? If you favor JC over Providence for quick access to the major city, it would probably be appropriate to compare it to cities surrounding Boston like Waltham, Quincy, or Somerville.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
There seem to be a lot of facets to this such as job, family, finances, etc, that we aren't even touching. Why compare Providence and Jersey City? If you favor JC over Providence for quick access to the major city, it would probably be appropriate to compare it to cities surrounding Boston like Waltham, Quincy, or Somerville.
I wasn't really comparing them beyond both of them having a train connection to larger cities. One area seemed to think this was great while another remained silent on the issue. Just struck me as odd.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:23 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Lammius, wouldn't it being that much closer to Manhattan make more of a case FOR Jersey City?
Yes.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:38 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I just see Providence as a cool place in its own right and didn't really consider the angle of it being accessible to Boston because I don't see Boston as any sort of big city equivalent to New York.

My niece lives in New Bedford, and a few years ago my sister and I went up to participate in a fund-raising walk for a disease that runs in my family, which took place in Boston. As we approached Boston with my sister, niece, and her friends in the car, I said, "Oh, what a cute little city this is!" Her friends seemed a little confused and maybe insulted, but I wasn't trying to put the place down. I liked it there. But, it's not anything like Manhattan, nothing at all.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:12 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

My niece lives in New Bedford, and a few years ago my sister and I went up to participate in a fund-raising walk for a disease that runs in my family, which took place in Boston. As we approached Boston with my sister, niece, and her friends in the car, I said, "Oh, what a cute little city this is!" Her friends seemed a little confused and maybe insulted, but I wasn't trying to put the place down. I liked it there. But, it's not anything like Manhattan, nothing at all.
I agree, Boston is a much smaller city than most people think. I guess by New England standards it is considered "big". And compared to Boston, Providence is like a small town. I have friends that used to live there and the city really isn't all that great. The downtown area is basically 2 streets with a few restaurants and a big mall. Their "skyline" is basically 1 or 2 mid-rise buildings. Rhode Island has been cited as having the worst economy in the US, so Providence wouldn't exactly be anywhere near the top of my list when looking for places to live.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:45 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
compared to Boston, Providence is like a small town. I have friends that used to live there and the city really isn't all that great. The downtown area is basically 2 streets with a few restaurants and a big mall. Their "skyline" is basically 1 or 2 mid-rise buildings. Rhode Island has been cited as having the worst economy in the US, so Providence wouldn't exactly be anywhere near the top of my list when looking for places to live.
If somebody is looking for municipal corruption, however, it might be at the top of their list!

"Buddy" Cianci, a twice-convicted felon, was also twice elected as their mayor.
However, he is not the only crook in their local politics.

I know that this may come as a surprise to NJ-averse people who think that our state is the only one with rampant corruption, but on a per capita basis, Rhode Island in general--and Providence in particular-- probably have beaten us pretty well in the corruption department.

Buddy Cianci - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey