Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:53 AM

565 posts, read 722,634 times

Advertisements

I'm not really sure about pros and cons versus the other privates on your list, because I don't know much about them (I work in a very good public school district in Bergen County now). They try very much to make a non-competitive atmosphere at Stevens--that's basically their whole philosophy: Education should be self-directed and self-motivated, students shouldn't be completing tasks just to earn a certain grade but rather should be completing tasks for the sake of mastering that skill.

In a classroom, the biggest difference outside the "no grades" thing is just the approach. Say, in regular art class in a regular school, the teacher will have certain units they are teaching, will tell the students "Today we are going to learn how to make a drawing with Perspective...perspective is...blah blah"...the teacher then might demonstrate perspective, then have the students attempt a drawing using perspective.

In a progressive school art class, the class might go more like...The teacher asks the students to draw a square. Then asks the students, "what are other ways we can draw this square?" and kids try different ways of drawing the box. Then the teacher might say, "What might happen if tried to make the square into a box? What would we have to add to our square?" and the kids give answers and try to work it out on their own.....with this method the teacher eventually gets the students to "discover" perspective and learn how to do it on their own.

It's just a different method. I suppose critics would say not having grades and not having competition doesn't prepare students for difficult high schools. Proponents would say it's an ideal environment for students to learn how to be intrinsically motivated to learn, rather than externally motivated by grades. Personally, I think it depends on the child-no one method works for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:52 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
I'm not really sure about pros and cons versus the other privates on your list, because I don't know much about them (I work in a very good public school district in Bergen County now). They try very much to make a non-competitive atmosphere at Stevens--that's basically their whole philosophy: Education should be self-directed and self-motivated, students shouldn't be completing tasks just to earn a certain grade but rather should be completing tasks for the sake of mastering that skill.

In a classroom, the biggest difference outside the "no grades" thing is just the approach. Say, in regular art class in a regular school, the teacher will have certain units they are teaching, will tell the students "Today we are going to learn how to make a drawing with Perspective...perspective is...blah blah"...the teacher then might demonstrate perspective, then have the students attempt a drawing using perspective.

In a progressive school art class, the class might go more like...The teacher asks the students to draw a square. Then asks the students, "what are other ways we can draw this square?" and kids try different ways of drawing the box. Then the teacher might say, "What might happen if tried to make the square into a box? What would we have to add to our square?" and the kids give answers and try to work it out on their own.....with this method the teacher eventually gets the students to "discover" perspective and learn how to do it on their own.

It's just a different method. I suppose critics would say not having grades and not having competition doesn't prepare students for difficult high schools. Proponents would say it's an ideal environment for students to learn how to be intrinsically motivated to learn, rather than externally motivated by grades. Personally, I think it depends on the child-no one method works for everyone.

Sorry but you make a very big (and wrong) assumption that the other schools don't teach or have teachers that teach that way or are "progressive" your words and I can tell you ,you are dead wrong .My advice is find your location and go to a(all)the schools make an appointment look around ,talk to parents from the school.Again as for Public schools they don't get much better than Millburn,at least in the State of NJ .

Old 01-23-2015, 11:59 AM

565 posts, read 722,634 times
I suggest you practice your critical reading skills and go back and read my first line. Nowhere did I suggest that other schools don't sometimes use progressive philosophies in teaching. You might want to do a 30 second Google search and learn about progressive education. It's very different from classical education (the type of education philosophy followed by most of the best private schools and public schools). Progressive education is a type of educational philosophy/training/school--like Montessori or Waldorf--the teachers in those schools have to be trained in the method to teach there.

As I said, I don't work in a progressive school. And my feelings on effectiveness and just generally whether or not I like it is mixed.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:22 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
I suggest you practice your critical reading skills and go back and read my first line. Nowhere did I suggest that other schools don't sometimes use progressive philosophies in teaching. You might want to do a 30 second Google search and learn about progressive education. It's very different from classical education (the type of education philosophy followed by most of the best private schools and public schools). Progressive education is a type of educational philosophy/training/school--like Montessori or Waldorf--the teachers in those schools have to be trained in the method to teach there.

As I said, I don't work in a progressive school. And my feelings on effectiveness and just generally whether or not I like it is mixed.

I agree your first says that , your second paragraph makes you a hypocrite,you say most private schools don't follow "progressive teaching " and I am saying you are dead wrong .I respond because many teachers (aides) have opinions on that type of education but my wife has been teaching it for over 25 years as do my daughters do now all in Private schools" from CA to VA to MD. .All three have their Masters and one is moving on to a Doctorate in Education so go on, a tell me all about the training of a teacher .I forgot to add , so does my sister who teaches at one one the schools named from Summit NJ

Old 01-24-2015, 01:50 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times
I was, until last year, on the board at MKA. What grade (s) are you considering and where will you be living?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,246 times
Hi Analayzer 1,
We are in the same position. Have narrowed it down to Stevens and Pingry. Pingry by far the better school. Stevens much more convenient. Depends which is more important. What have you decided and why? We are leaning toward Pingry. Have to sign today.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:15 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Lugashi View Post
Neward Academy in Livingston, NJ is suppose to be a great private school, Livingston is a great town with commute to NYC. I would be happy to help should you still be searching for the right school & town.
Susan, you should read the TOS. It includes this:

"Real Estate Agents and other businesses will not advertise their services nor solicit business in their posts."
//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey