Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:53 AM

11 posts, read 15,084 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

After reading so many post on NJ forum of cd , here is my first(definitely not the last) post :
I am coming from India and moving to NJ.
I will be working in New York City, NY, USA. Office is near World trade center PATH station also near to wall street metro station.
I am looking to rent a place in New Jersey(starting from 1st Feb, 2015). My budget is around 1200$(utility included if possible) per month. I am looking for 1 BR type accommodation.
My spouse will also be moving with me. Society township(if any) will be preferred and commute from office not more than one hour.
Three things that are important in order of importance : Safety, outdoor activities, proximity to public transport.
I have short listed area near Journal Square Path station for easy commute. Other shortlisted area after reading many post on this forum :

The Heights, Jersey City, NJ, USA 07307
Hoboken, NJ, USA 07030
Summit Ave, Jersey City, NJ, USA 07307
Downtown Jersey City, Jersey City, NJ, USA 07302
Paulus Hook, Jersey City, NJ, USA 07302
Grove St, Jersey City, NJ, USA 07302
Exchange Place, Jersey City, NJ, USA 07302
Journal Square, Jersey City, NJ, USA 07304 , 07306

Will I be able to find in these area in my budget ? How should I start my search once I reach there ? I will be reaching there on 31st Jan and I have to finalize my house within 1 week.

Thanks
Dhan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 AM

64 posts, read 90,231 times
Parsippany has a very high Indian population, if that matters to you. It is a one hour commute to the city and there are NYC buses running on every corner. If you wanted to drive, the whole town of Parsippany is totally accessible to Route 80, which takes you directly into the city.

Many stores, good schools and lots of activity. Everything at your finger tips there. I lived in Parsippany 20 years ago and loved it and my sister still lives there.

Jersey City. Yuck. Lots of crime. You couldn't pay me to live there.
Summit...VERY nice, but VERY expensive. There is also a very nice train station there.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:51 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Journal Square, the Heights, and Summit Ave (a street that passes through Journal Square and the Heights) will offer 1BR apartments in your budget. These areas have decent transit access to Wall Street (especially Journal Square), and lots of residents from India. Safety is ok, but less recreation and shopping than downtown Jersey City.

The Paulus Hook, Newport, Exchange Place, Grove St neighborhoods Downtown are the best neighborhoods in Jersey City, but they will require 1.5-2.5 times your budget.

The suggestion of Parsippany above is good if you want a more suburban environment, but it is 50km from NYC and your commute will be much longer.

I don't know what you mean by "society township" so I cannot offer any advice about that.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:01 AM

324 posts, read 575,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie8862 View Post
Summit...VERY nice, but VERY expensive. There is also a very nice train station there.
Have you even been to any of the areas of Jersey City in the past decade that OP mentions? Just because there are still some bad areas of Jersey City does not mean there aren't nice areas. Downtown Jersey City is relatively safe. He will have trouble finding a 1 BR for $1200 downtown though.

Also, OP mentions Summit Ave in Jersey City, not the city of Summit, NJ.

Parsippany is a decent option though if OP is willing to increase commute time to over an hour and take a bus.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:16 AM

64 posts, read 90,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
Have you even been to any of the areas of Jersey City in the past decade that OP mentions? Just because there are still some bad areas of Jersey City does not mean there aren't nice areas. Downtown Jersey City is relatively safe. He will have trouble finding a 1 BR for $1200 downtown though.

Also, OP mentions Summit Ave in Jersey City, not the city of Summit, NJ.

Parsippany is a decent option though if OP is willing to increase commute time to over an hour and take a bus.
My husband is a Jersey City Police Officer. I know more than you will probably ever know. (I say that nicely).

As far as the Summit thing....sorry....I did not realize he/she was talking about Summit Ave. Oops.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post

One of my friend lives in Parsippany. But commute time will really be close to 2 hr door to desk. I would like to maintain it not more than an hour.
How is the area Secaucus, NJ, USA or Hackensack, NJ, USA considering safety, outdoor activities like sports, gym.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Journal Square, the Heights, and Summit Ave (a street that passes through Journal Square and the Heights) will offer 1BR apartments in your budget. These areas have decent transit access to Wall Street (especially Journal Square), and lots of residents from India. Safety is ok, but less recreation and shopping than downtown Jersey City.

The Paulus Hook, Newport, Exchange Place, Grove St neighborhoods Downtown are the best neighborhoods in Jersey City, but they will require 1.5-2.5 times your budget.

The suggestion of Parsippany above is good if you want a more suburban environment, but it is 50km from NYC and your commute will be much longer.

I don't know what you mean by "society township" so I cannot offer any advice about that.
Thanks for your reply. By society township , I meant a gated closed society and not apartment floor.
Anyway , as per my budget it looks like I can find only in area Journal Square, the Heights, and Summit Ave which will be within an hour commute to my office. How is this area for outdoor activities like sports, gym, evening walk ?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie8862 View Post
Parsippany has a very high Indian population, if that matters to you. It is a one hour commute to the city and there are NYC buses running on every corner. If you wanted to drive, the whole town of Parsippany is totally accessible to Route 80, which takes you directly into the city.

Many stores, good schools and lots of activity. Everything at your finger tips there. I lived in Parsippany 20 years ago and loved it and my sister still lives there.

Thanks for warning me for Jersey city. I will definitely make a note of it. Again Parsippany will be close to 2 hr commute for me from door to desk by njtransit. I am looking for a safe society within an hour commute time and not necessarily high Indian population area.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:57 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
[quote=dhankuma;38181519]Thanks for your reply. By society township , I meant a gated closed society and not apartment floor. [quote]
You mean a gated community? As far as I know, in America those are primarily for large condos and single family houses. Not sure if they exist in NJ or not. I believe they are rare. Don't know off any in Hudson or Bergen county...

Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhankuma View Post
Thanks for your reply. By society township , I meant a gated closed society and not apartment floor.
You mean a gated community? As far as I know, in America those are primarily for large condos and single family houses. Not sure if they exist in NJ or not. I believe they are rare. Don't know off any in Hudson or Bergen county...
What about township in Woodbridge area of NJ ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey