Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many people are looking for work ?
Looking for work 7 16.28%
Employed 36 83.72%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,103,555 times

Advertisements

Reality of the matter is that not everyone can afford to live everywhere. That applies to states just as much as towns. If you're in the low/medium skill + pay range, living in NJ doesn't really make much sense whether you like it or not. You might be able to find some way to make ends meet (or not), but you'd be better off elsewhere.

The cost of living is high and our job market is and will to be terrible for that, both in terms of # of jobs and in terms of those jobs paying enough to make up for the high COL. Those jobs left a long time ago and are never coming back from the low-cost states or elsewhere. Move to where they went, such as the South.

NJ/NYC's job market for high-end technical skills is pretty good. Those are the people for whom living in the region can actually make sense, and who can afford the things you're complaining about, who are paying for $500k+ houses, etc.

As for vice-principals, if it's a large school that could make plenty of sense. If it's a small one it would be ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 03:51 AM

64 posts, read 89,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Networking is even better than indeed. Indeed is okay, the best website I ever seen are the neo gov and govt websites because they let you apply to one than one job at a time.
That may be your opinion, but the fact is that INDEED is the largest website in the WORLD for jobs.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:16 AM

49 posts, read 74,107 times
I do not have a college degree, I have work experience. My resume looks great, my point is a person should not have to beg and grovel to get a job.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 AM

49 posts, read 74,107 times
I Like many people have had hardships, I married young and the wrong person, left that person and then was given no support for almost 4 years, had to scrape and live with my family.. I have had good jobs in the past and either they went out of business or laid people off. I can 100% agree with you I can not live in this state by myself that is why I live with family and have no choice because I have no money to move and like a lot of people in NJ live paycheck to paycheck just to survive so no savings whatsoever. I want to move out of the state where I could have a better life but it's easier said than done and cost money, not to mention my son is in school and to take him out would be cruel.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,743,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencassidy View Post
I do not have a college degree, I have work experience. My resume looks great, my point is a person should not have to beg and grovel to get a job.
Post your resume(take out any personal info). Maybe we can give feedback. Ive seen plenty people who say it looks great and it really does not.

Right now you shouldn't have to beg and grovel. In fact if your doing it right they will come to you and do the begging and groveling! Are you on linkedin? Participating in Linkedin Groups? Have you tried joining meetups for like minded individuals in your space? You shouldn't have to beg, but you do have to put in some work.

Last edited by pinkydapimp; 01-28-2015 at 06:39 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 06:47 AM

23,446 posts, read 17,113,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencassidy View Post
I Like many people have had hardships, I married young and the wrong person, left that person and then was given no support for almost 4 years, had to scrape and live with my family.. I have had good jobs in the past and either they went out of business or laid people off. I can 100% agree with you I can not live in this state by myself that is why I live with family and have no choice because I have no money to move and like a lot of people in NJ live paycheck to paycheck just to survive so no savings whatsoever. I want to move out of the state where I could have a better life but it's easier said than done and cost money, not to mention my son is in school and to take him out would be cruel.
Many people in Nj are doing quite well.

Time to volunteer at a hospital or church or where ever if just to network and meet people. Networking is the best way to find a job. Seeing sick folks brings a new appreciation for your health without which you are seriously handicapped as another hurdle to overcome. You see bed ridden people, many just looking for someone to express interest and listen to restore their spirits and dignity. Know that whiole they are bed ridden you can put your coat on and walk out the door to go anywhere you choose. You are indeed blessed, you just have to realize it.

Depends on what kind of work you are qualified for or wnat type of work you would like to move into.

There are job fairs and internships, volunteer for the state fish & game and meeting interesting people, join a hiking or cooking club or whichever activity floats your boat....did I mention networking?

Going into a place cold turkey and filling out an application is the definition of futility and plays right into a 'woe is me attitude'.

Oh, and be positive. Does wonders for you physically and for your psyche. People don't gravitate toward negative people. You can choose which state of mind you want, it is not completely circumstantial.

And sure the municipality in which you live is more than likely to waste taxpayer money by the ton.

Plenty of jobs at all levels in NJ, not to say it is what it was when big pharma was still king. I know of more than one story of person starting out in the mail room, getting a degree while working and becoming a director level. Another got her BS, MS and PhD while working her way up. Another low level start yieled a law degree as a patent attorney. Oh, and all three cases were females.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:04 AM

19,067 posts, read 25,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Post your resume(take out any personal info). Maybe we can give feedback. Ive seen plenty people who say it looks great and it really does not.

+1

When I was in a position to hire people, there were a significant number of resumes that we never looked at, simply because the cover letters were so badly-written. In other cases, the cover letter looked...okay...but the resume was a mess. Obviously, we did not call these folks in for interviews.

Posting the cover letter and the resume--sans personal information--is what I would recommend, so that you can get some feedback on the documents that you are submitting to employers.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:04 AM

2,664 posts, read 2,079,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Right now you shouldn't have to beg and grovel. In fact if your doing it right they will come to you and do the begging and groveling! Are you on linkedin? Participating in Linkedin Groups? Have you tried joining meetups for like minded individuals in your space? You shouldn't have to beg, but you do have to put in some work.
Since the OP has no college education, I assume she is looking for the blue collar job? How many blue collar jobs are on these web sites and have Meetup groups? I would guess not many so I don't know if this advice helps...

Old 01-28-2015, 09:05 AM

88,300 posts, read 84,292,537 times
OP does have a valid point. As another person who has no college degree but lots of work experience, I can confirm that it is useless just to apply through normal channels for jobs that state that a bachelor's is required, yea though the experience might be more valuable than the degree.

The low-level clerk or the computer program doing the first cull of resumes will automatically toss us out.

I am beginning to job hunt in anticipation of retiring from where I've worked for 30+ years, and I know that networking is my only option. Occasionally I have seen positions that state "or equivalent experience", but that's not the usual situation.

I have begun letting everyone and their mother know I am beginning to search, and I'm making a list of potential contacts to whom I will reach out with a letter and a copy of my resume. There are a few I will reach out to by phone, too.

OP, don't give up. You probably have more sources than you think.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:10 AM

88,300 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Since the OP has no college education, I assume she is looking for the blue collar job? How many blue collar jobs are on these web sites and have Meetup groups? I would guess not many so I don't know if this advice helps...
Bad assumption. There was a time in the not-so-distant past when someone could enter the workforce without a degree and work his or her way up. In my case, I was a secretary. I can explain what that was if you are not familiar with the term.

I am a division manager making over six figures. It is not a blue-collar position. I don't have a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey