Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:07 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,073 times

Advertisements

Ok guys, I have a job offer in East Brunswick, with my current company, but I am unfamiliar with the area and have a few questions.

1. How family friendly is the area? Schools, crime, things to do, etc?

2. How high is the cost of living really?

3. Where are the best towns to raise a family within a decent commute to the area around Tices Lane Park? How is that area of town?

4. How long does it take to get to NYC, approximately?

5. Anything else you think I should know, please feel free to share! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:09 AM

595 posts, read 894,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Ok guys, I have a job offer in East Brunswick, with my current company, but I am unfamiliar with the area and have a few questions.

3. Where are the best towns to raise a family within a decent commute to the area around Tices Lane Park? How is that area of town?

5. Anything else you think I should know, please feel free to share! Thank you in advance!
I drive through East Brunswick every day. One observation: all the houses in the area look exactly the same--they must have been built by the same developer in the 70's or 80's.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:43 AM

13 posts, read 32,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post

I have lived in EB for almost 4 years now with my family and am really glad we live here.

1) Very family friendly, lots of parks in town. Town has their own water park in the summer (Crystal Springs). The town seems to run lots of programs through their rec department. Schools are excellent and have been for a long time. High School is huge, some say you can get lost pretty quickly unless you are at or above average student. Others say it is nice with a large number because everybody finds their group of friends.

Very little crime. Not a whole lot to do in EB, the mall is decent, small but just enough shops to cover most your needs without having to drive to Freehold. Otherwise you are close to the short (40 mins) and nicely between Philly and NY (little over an hour).

2) Taxes are a bit higher then other communities. You are probably looking at $8k to $12k in taxes for houses in the $300k to $500k range. But as far as other expenses, groceries are pretty cheap because there is a lot of competition. Gas is much cheaper if you are coming in from out of state.

3) I think living in EB is a great option. I would recommend living south of Tices since that area is closer to the commercial area/Route 18. Dealing with route 18 takes some getting used to, but you will learn to get around via back roads.

IF EB is out of your price range, you could look at Old Bridge, South Brunswick.

4) NYC is about an hourish via Bus to Port Authority, sometimes longer. Train really isn't an option unless you wanted to trade longer commute for more stable arrival times. Although there is a plan to put a train station in North Brunswick which might make it more viable. Otherwise there are two bus stations in town serviced by Coach - Tices Lane and the towers (PNC building) . NJ Transit also serves the town. If we are heading into the city on the weekend for fun, we will drive up to New Brunswick train station and take the train in.

5) Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. I relocated from western NY (much cheaper cost of living) to EB due to relocation.

And yes, a lot of the houses were built in a short period of time. Once the turnpike was extended in the early 60's, there was a population and housing boom. So probably half the town was built in the period of a few years. You then have newer/bigger houses on the east side of town near Dunhams Corners etc.

Brian

Old 02-05-2015, 07:56 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,538 times
Boring, flat suburbia. Have to drive to go to the bathroom, NYC is far, buses take more than one hour and are packed like sardines on work days. People who have a misfortune to commute to NYC probably spend more than one our and a half on their commute. Yes there are parks and hiking trails but that is probably it. Horrendous traffic everywhere during rush hour.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:14 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Boring, flat suburbia. Have to drive to go to the bathroom, NYC is far, buses take more than one hour and are packed like sardines on work days. People who have a misfortune to commute to NYC probably spend more than one our and a half on their commute. Yes there are parks and hiking trails but that is probably it. Horrendous traffic everywhere during rush hour.
You just described every town in Central NJ.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:42 AM

28 posts, read 49,307 times
Default East brunswick appears like a ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
The only pros of living in East Brunswick is that the schools are good and the commute to New York is provided via buses. Apart from that, the place looks quite old, roads are shabby, crowded and has less american feel.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:55 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
You just described every town in Central NJ.
Agreed. I lived in Middlesex County for close to 10 years. Everything is just suburban sprawl and strip malls. All the towns look exactly the same. You can't tell where one ends and another begins.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:36 AM

255 posts, read 455,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Agreed. I lived in Middlesex County for close to 10 years. Everything is just suburban sprawl and strip malls. All the towns look exactly the same. You can't tell where one ends and another begins.
Yup, we should starting merging towns left and right. People who aren't public workers like me would love it.. the unions and pubic workers...not so much.

One police chief and one superintendent for the new "Brunswick" - South, East and North all become one town. Sign me up.

Been living in the area for decades and but no one has ever been able to explain -- why no West Brunswick?

Old 02-11-2016, 08:11 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
Been living in the area for decades and but no one has ever been able to explain -- why no West Brunswick?
...and why is North Brunswick located south of New Brunswick?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:11 PM

968 posts, read 1,140,729 times
The directions are relative to each other, not New Brunswick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey