U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 PM

5,440 posts, read 16,028,043 times

Advertisements

I need to run a gas line from point A to B in my house. What is the procedure for this? I would think that in order to do this they need to T off of an existing pipe which would require us to shut the gas off first. I do not see a shut off valve directly before or after the meter... is that normal? Do I need to contact PSE&G for this? I know, I know... call them and ask - I've been on hold for an hour and I'm getting impatient. and yes, I know I need a permit for this and I'll get one!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 02:06 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,537,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I need to run a gas line from point A to B in my house. What is the procedure for this? I would think that in order to do this they need to T off of an existing pipe which would require us to shut the gas off first. I do not see a shut off valve directly before or after the meter... is that normal? Do I need to contact PSE&G for this? I know, I know... call them and ask - I've been on hold for an hour and I'm getting impatient. and yes, I know I need a permit for this and I'll get one!
you could use the gas company or any licensed plumber could do the job

Old 01-09-2008, 01:56 PM

209 posts, read 1,640,178 times
Technically you need to have PSE&G come to connect or disconnect a gas line in an existing home, especially if it's at the meter (at least according to PSE&G, that is). A plumber should also be able to do this (and the work) but you should make sure whichever plumber you use is insured and that their insurance covers gas line connection and disconnection.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:35 PM

I went to the town hall to get the permit and they had a notice saying that a master plumber can run gas lines so I don't think PSE&G needs to get involved. We are not disconnecting anything before the meter just running a new line within the house. Any idea how much this should cost? I'm running it literally 5 feet through an existing hole in the floor. I 'm waiting to hear back from a slew of master plumbers.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:38 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,728,147 times
It seems very usual that there's not a shutoff directly adjacent to the meter- usually it's a 1/4-turn device with a pair of holes that allow a lock to be placed through them so PSE&G can shut your gas off if you don't pay your bill or if there's a leak or a fire.

Regarding the cost to run the line- to most plumbers, running 5' of gas line is more of a nuisance job than anything else, so expect to pay a pretty decent minimum charge for the work. It's likely a 3-4 hours of work with shutting down the line, breaking an existing line to install a tee, running the new line, and testing everything for leaks. I'd be surprised if you saw a quote for less than $500-600.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 AM

I probably don't know what I'm looking at this is why I'm hiring someone

What is weird is the meter is in our garage and I've never seen a meter reader, but we get our bill each monthly and it is always noted "ACTUAL" not estimate reading. I am home all the time so I have no clue how they read the meter without coming inside... we also don't have a phone line (I know that is how the water meter works) so it couldn't be that way.

$500-600 sounds unfortunately realistic!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I probably don't know what I'm looking at this is why I'm hiring someone

What is weird is the meter is in our garage and I've never seen a meter reader, but we get our bill each monthly and it is always noted "ACTUAL" not estimate reading. I am home all the time so I have no clue how they read the meter without coming inside... we also don't have a phone line (I know that is how the water meter works) so it couldn't be that way.

$500-600 sounds unfortunately realistic!
There's probably a little black thing on the outside of your house that's connected to the gas meter via wires. It sends out a signal that's read by the meter readers so they don't have to knock on your door.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 AM

Nice guess. First quote is $550. Found the shut off with pad lock holes, BTW.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Nice guess. First quote is $550. Found the shut off with pad lock holes, BTW.
It's not a guess- estimating is what I do for a living (though with another 4 to 6 zeros and a couple commas in the numbers.....lol).

Old 01-15-2008, 12:09 PM

18 posts, read 104,429 times
Joe

were are you at ? I did my own gas line when I moved the furnace from the center of the basement to a corner (went direct vent) . I went to town hall (Woodbridge) got the permit. I shut the gas off then turned the stove upstairs on till the flame went out. I took out the whole pipe from the meter out. I replaced all the piping (less than 100 dollars in Black Pipe) at the furthest point where it went into the furnace I put a female to female coupler (was using 1/2 pipe) then a 1/2 to 1/4 inch reducer than put a air tool fitting in the black pipe I built the pressure in the compressor to 125 than connected it. I took some dish soap and went over all the fittings to be sure no leak after leaving it like that for a hour with no loss of air I hooked the furnace up and I was done . Total job cost was 125 (with the permit) total time was around 3 hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>