Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 02:57 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
There are no cities in the Poconos. Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg is the biggest and is still tiny. 10k people is not a city. If you're using a broader definition, "nice" is not normally the word that comes to mind when I think of or visit Scranton.
That was pretty much the going thought even when I worked there (though it didn't bother me one way or the other honestly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 03:49 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey08057 View Post
When other cities were annexing their suburbs our cities weren't allowed to grow. Imagine if Newark was all of Essex county or if Jersey city was all hudson county. They would be a force.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
All of those cities have large areas of poverty and crime. That's the #1 factor holding back any "blossoming". What do you do with all the poor people?
To the poconos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
OP also neglected to mention Paterson and Elizabeth. Paterson has many of Newark's problems (loss of industry, high crime), with none of it's potential advantages. The new National Park is a nice idea, and has potential considering what heritage tourism has done for Lowell. And the historic district has a lot of adaptive reuse potential.
I don't have much experience with Elizabeth and Paterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
Why would the Pocono be taking on Nj's scumbag problem?The poconos is. nicer than. Nj and doesnt have Nj 'S massive ghetto city problem, our citys in the poconos are nice.Why do you think I moved out of jersey?
Why?! Because you PA people are clogging Jersey roads and not investing on your side of the Lackwanna cuttoff. You're going to take NJ's scumbag and there's nothing you can do about it because your taxes are lower and so is your cost of living. The poconos aren't that nice. In fact, its depressing. Its Appalachian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
C'mon man, other than the college (and Dunder Mifflin?) nothing is really coming out of Scranton. Scranton doesn't have the crime or decay of many cities even outside of NJ because it's too small to even make it a relevant comparison. And even then there are still plenty of less than attractive areas within it. I was stationed at Tobyhanna AD for several years and even the contractors and locals avoided Scranton (Allentown was the fav even though it was further out). I would compare to it a smaller NJ city like New Brunswick (which is setup similar to Scranton but is in much better shape).
Scranton is depressing. It desperately need passenger rail service. Seeing all those train car rotting next to the steamtown mall makes one go emo.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:59 PM

191 posts, read 393,891 times
Umm... Right? Scranton is not bad at all , maybe run down, not alot to do , its economically depressed for sure but your really gonna use my term "nice" in comparison to the citys mentioned in Nj.Yea nice in that its liveable, not resembling Berut like Camden, Trenton, Newark, Paterson please, those places are horrible.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:17 PM

191 posts, read 393,891 times
Lol Northeast Pennsylvania looks. like appalachia, not anymore nothern most jersey or south jersey right? Last time I checked also there was as many jersey plates roaming the pocono highways as in jersey.As far as any city in Nj blossoming, I think you hav. e a better chance of Scranton blossoming(oh, thats right, i.t already is, google it lol!)

Old 01-31-2015, 04:19 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
Lol Northeast Pennsylvania looks. like appalachia, not anymore nothern most jersey or south jersey right? Last time I checked also there was as many jersey plates roaming the pocono highways as in jersey.As far as any city in Nj blossoming, I think you hav. e a better chance of Scranton blossoming(oh, thats right, i.t already is, google it lol!)
that's where the jersey plates people store their guns. Scranton's not going to blossom until the lackawanna cutoff is completed. Then, the ghetto people will find you and turn your basement into a meth lab!

Old 01-31-2015, 04:25 PM

125 posts, read 134,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
All of those cities have large areas of poverty and crime. That's the #1 factor holding back any "blossoming". What do you do with all the poor people?
I've been to Newark a fair amount of times. I'm pretty sure the poor of Newark have mental problems. I think that's NJ biggest problem. There a lot of mentally ill people with no treatment available in that amount. I feel like someone post an article on here once about how the homeless people of NJ often get kicked out of shelters for violence or other acts that show they're not stable. I wouldn't want to live an area where those types are wondering around.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:30 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giveitome View Post
I've been to Newark a fair amount of times. I'm pretty sure the poor of Newark have mental problems. I think that's NJ biggest problem. There a lot of mentally ill people with no treatment available in that amount. I feel like someone post an article on here once about how the homeless people of NJ often get kicked out of shelters for violence or other acts that show they're not stable. I wouldn't want to live an area where those types are wondering around.
You don't see them in the safer areas Newark like The Ironbound or Northward. Or Even in the non Safer areas. Sadly they cluster in Downtown but its the same for every city including New York. The Gentrification of parts of Downtown has pushed them away from certain areas...and into others. But its only a matter of time before most are pushed out all together... Which has happened in smaller cities in the Northeast.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
There are no cities in the Poconos. Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg is the biggest and is still tiny. 10k people is not a city. If you're using a broader definition, "nice" is not normally the word that comes to mind when I think of or visit Scranton.
Back in the early Nineties, my sister in the Poconos sent her daughter to live with my mother in Bergen County during her high school years because she had started carrying a knife to school to defend herself. Lowlifes were pouring into the Mt. Pocono/Monroe County area from bad parts of the Bronx because they could afford to buy houses up there, but they brought their gangster ways with them. There were fights every day, kids' stuff would get stolen, etc. The Poconos are not this wonderful bucolic land of peace and happiness. There is a distinct criminal contingent up there. It's not everywhere in every town, but there are a lot of drugs and the accompanying break-ins that come along when there are people who need money to feed a habit.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
People are not ignoring Newark. I went to a breakfast event at the NRBP Newark Regional Business Partnership | Newark Regional Business Partnership | Newark, NJ a couple of months ago, and there were a few hundred people there from large businesses, public transportation agencies, developers, etc. There's a great deal of interest in urban renewal for Newark, and you are going to see it happening in the next few decades.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:18 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Everyone keeps forgetting the reason those areas are not blossoming is........jobs.

To be honest,Jersey City has something that Newark and the other cities lack has,and that is an Urban feel.

Trenton has too much of an urban feel outside of Mill Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey